Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    The Patient Thneed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    OH.....IO
    Posts
    349
    100 mil sounds like a decent gamble. I like potentially starting with a never-before-told adventure and then if the movie is successful having the sequels tell Arthas, Thrall, or Midevh story.

  2. #42
    Scarab Lord Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuadu View Post
    I agree. All they really have to do is get the movie off the ground, market the hell out of it and gather a good following and make more than it cost to make and you may be looking at sequels. Here's hoping.
    if they bring in or are heavily involving the blizz cinematic team then it wont take much for the player base alone to be enough of a marketing campaign. the studio (legendary right?) should put a lot of effort into bringing the fans of WoW on board, seeing as there are quite a few of us that word of mouth alone should fill seats.

    as a side note the fact that they are going with Legendary on this gives me a sliver of hope that it wont be total garbage.

  3. #43
    The Patient Anshinritsumai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    225
    Based on information provided from previous BlizzCon panels (specifically either Lore panels or the Warcraft Movie panels) by our venerable and divine Highlord Warchief Metzen, who is writing the story for the film...
    - Live-action
    - "not an adventure movie" like Lord of the Rings
    - "a war movie" that focuses on the war between the horde and the alliance, but is told primarily from the Alliance perspective
    - Takes place in the 4 year gap between Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne and Vanilla WoW.
    - "going for PG-13 or R" movie, and that they wouldn't lower it to PG-13 if it got the R rating (though I wouldn't be surprised over a PG-13 just for ticket sales)


    For anyone skeptical about this, go YouTube the Warcraft movie or lore panels from previous BlizzCons.
    Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 2013-01-31 at 02:18 AM.

  4. #44
    Scarab Lord Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I agree. My only issue with live-action is how they'll portray races beyond...well, beyond humans really. That said, films like Narnia portrayed their Minotaurs incredibly well considering the often live-action nature of their film. A Tauren that looked like this for example, would have me satisfied (if they go down that route);
    eh im sure i'm not the only one that wants a blizz cinematic thats two hours or more in length (point being no live actors in site). I am very against using suits or animatronics for the other races, i want to see emotion "acting" from any none human character. and in my book anything less then CGI doesn't cut it.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    I'm pretty sure I heard them mention (Blizzard) that they were going to be focusing on Humans and that it would be Live action and wouldn't use any exsisting storyline going on in the game at all. But I may be mistaken on that.
    From what I've read in the past, it's going to take place between the end of WC3 and the beginning of WoW.

  6. #46
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,528
    If they use an avatar approach, the only ones that won't be animated are the humans, and maybe some dwarves. Orcs, trolls, tauren, gnomes, night elves, blood elves, all races that you can't really work without some good level of CGI

  7. #47
    Scarab Lord Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    If they use an avatar approach, the only ones that won't be animated are the humans, and maybe some dwarves. Orcs, trolls, tauren, gnomes, night elves, blood elves, all races that you can't really work without some good level of CGI
    indeed i hate the idea of suits and animatronics simply because:1) for the most part look obnoxious. 2) don't bring the level of realism to them as say a pure CGI character (yes i know they are still fake but at least with a computer animated face i see expressions)

  8. #48
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    eh im sure i'm not the only one that wants a blizz cinematic thats two hours or more in length (point being no live actors in site). I am very against using suits or animatronics for the other races, i want to see emotion "acting" from any none human character. and in my book anything less then CGI doesn't cut it.
    I'd agree, CGI would be the best route to go in my opinion but the nature of the CGI is what I ponder. 1/2 cartoony, 1/2 realistic would be the best route to go for me; in keeping with their ethos regarding the graphics of WoW too; in that they never look 'that' serious, even where the story of WoW is. Beowulf and films like it struck a good balance.
    "Can your blood atone for genocide, orc? Your Horde killed countless innocents with its rampage across Stormwind and Lordaeron. Do you really think you can just sweep all that away and cast aside your guilt so easily? No, your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you." - Grand Admiral Proudmoore

  9. #49
    Scarab Lord Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I'd agree, CGI would be the best route to go in my opinion but the nature of the CGI is what I ponder. 1/2 cartoony, 1/2 realistic would be the best route to go for me; in keeping with their ethos regarding the graphics of WoW too; in that they never look 'that' serious, even where the story of WoW is. Beowulf and films like it struck a good balance.
    the good thing i will say is that its hard for a giant green man with tusks to come of as "too real".

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    If they use an avatar approach, the only ones that won't be animated are the humans, and maybe some dwarves. Orcs, trolls, tauren, gnomes, night elves, blood elves, all races that you can't really work without some good level of CGI
    Eyes not included, you could probably get away with elves using cosmetics, and I think Orcs too. They're all basically humans with glowy eyes and pointy ears.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    eh im sure i'm not the only one that wants a blizz cinematic thats two hours or more in length (point being no live actors in site). I am very against using suits or animatronics for the other races, i want to see emotion "acting" from any none human character. and in my book anything less then CGI doesn't cut it.
    I agree that would be incredible. I know every time I've finished watching the expansion trailers I just wish they went 5 minutes longer. However, considering a 2-3 minute CGI trailer (like we saw for MoP) literally takes 6 months+ to do I'm pretty sure a full length 140 minute film would take in the region of 8-10 years to do. Now granted they would have much bigger teams working on the film, but still, I'm just not sure it's doable. Certainly not in the 2 year time frame the article mentioned.

  12. #52
    Legendary! Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    England, Earth, Sol Star System, Milkyway Galaxy
    Posts
    6,881
    considering Blizzards skill in making CGI then I would expect it to be a Heavily reliant on CGI

  13. #53
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,528
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Eyes not included, you could probably get away with elves using cosmetics, and I think Orcs too. They're all basically humans with glowy eyes and pointy ears.
    orcs are massively buff humanoids. They weren't the messy lord of the rings characters we saw there. elves maybe, but I kind of see the elves in wow as to slender for humans to represent.

  14. #54
    Scarab Lord Sky High's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SO-CALI
    Posts
    4,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Torunscar View Post
    I agree that would be incredible. I know every time I've finished watching the expansion trailers I just wish they went 5 minutes longer. However, considering a 2-3 minute CGI trailer (like we saw for MoP) literally takes 6 months+ to do I'm pretty sure a full length 140 minute film would take in the region of 8-10 years to do. Now granted they would have much bigger teams working on the film, but still, I'm just not sure it's doable. Certainly not in the 2 year time frame the article mentioned.
    well it will depend on how big the team will be and to what amount of detail they mean to go into on the CGI. i don't know the size of the blizz cinematic team but give them the budget and the manpower and im sure they can narrow it down to......3 years.

  15. #55
    Really like the new choice for the director, hope this film does well as that way we may get more adaptations like it, Starcraft springs to mind lol

  16. #56
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    indeed i hate the idea of suits and animatronics simply because:1) for the most part look obnoxious. 2) don't bring the level of realism to them as say a pure CGI character (yes i know they are still fake but at least with a computer animated face i see expressions)
    just considering how well they did the characters in avatar and how human they were, even as tall blue aliens, I have no issue with full on CGI. All they do is take actors to be the part of these fictional characters, map the CGI model with the actor, both movements and facial animations, and then animate it though CGI. Thats why Gollum was such a well realized character in lord of the rings.

    and that was like a decade ago.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Too cartoony for WoW, I thought it was common opinion that WoW is already rather cartoony lol.
    WoW is cartoony almost by definition. If you read about how they made the game, you'll find out they intentionally made it lively and cartoony.

  18. #58
    Mechagnome nachoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado!
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    I hope it's animated. If it's live action it'll look awful.
    i agree 10000000000000 times. If its not animated, i think it will hurt warcraft as a whole =/
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

    Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

  19. #59
    Legendary! Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    England, Earth, Sol Star System, Milkyway Galaxy
    Posts
    6,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Torunscar View Post
    I agree that would be incredible. I know every time I've finished watching the expansion trailers I just wish they went 5 minutes longer. However, considering a 2-3 minute CGI trailer (like we saw for MoP) literally takes 6 months+ to do I'm pretty sure a full length 140 minute film would take in the region of 8-10 years to do. Now granted they would have much bigger teams working on the film, but still, I'm just not sure it's doable. Certainly not in the 2 year time frame the article mentioned.
    Not really, take a look at Final Fantasy The Spirits within


    it took 4 years and 960 workstations, and 200 employee's to make. This was nearly a decade ago. Since then computers have gotten faster and cheaper I would imagine it would take about half that time now to produce a CGI movie of a similar quality.

  20. #60
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    16,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    WoW is cartoony almost by definition. If you read about how they made the game, you'll find out they intentionally made it lively and cartoony.
    Agreed, thats the charm of wow, that its clearly an animated universe with a war theme around it, of the characters only one race is human, but we look for what makes them feel human in our own relative way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •