Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The amount of angry Gnomes if they don't make it into the movie will be large. They are getting angry for every cinematic absent of Gnomes.

If Warcraft movie does well, do you think Blizzard will make movies for their other 2 major franchises? (Diablo and Starcraft)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelln12 View Post
    The amount of angry Gnomes if they don't make it into the movie will be large. They are getting angry for every cinematic absent of Gnomes.

If Warcraft movie does well, do you think Blizzard will make movies for their other 2 major franchises? (Diablo and Starcraft)
    Most likely. I'm surprised they didn't start with one of these instead, much simpler story to turn into a movie.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that the Arthas story line would be perfect for the movie.

- The story would be a classic cinema trope (the demise of the hero / the hero becoming that which he hates most)
    - The story is emotionally driven.
    - The main character is human and therefore relatable. (this is great for the majority audience who are not familiar with the lore)
    - The story, if well written and if movie is a success, can be extended by 1 or 2 more movies to include the final demise of the hero (Icecrown). This would include a cool showdown and catharsis for Arthas.

What do you guys think?

i like that director. i like legendary.

im happy.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that the Arthas story line would be perfect for the movie.

- The story would be a classic cinema trope (the demise of the hero / the hero becoming that which he hates most)
    - The main character is human and therefore relatable. (this is great for the majority audience who are not familiar with the lore)
    - The story, if well written and if movie is a success, can be extended by 1 or 2 more movies to include the final demise of the hero (Icecrown). This would include a cool showdown and catharsis for Arthas.

What do you guys think?
    I agree. Of all possible storylines to transfer into a motion picture, I've always thought the Arthas story would provide the best results.
    The perfumed* boys he wrapped in chains and threw into the sea. They were unnatural creatures, and the ship smelled better once cleansed of their presence.

*Degenerative Casuals

considering it takes 3 years to actually RENDER a cgi movie, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a full cgi movie.

I'm not exactly sure if you're looking for Avatar in Warcraft form, that you're going to get that.

like you won't see quality of their cinematics for WoW, I'd prefer a full CGI movie like that. But i'd assume if it focuses heavily on a human sided script, we're going to see it more live action with the exception of battles. but who knows *shrug*
    Last edited by chocobo606; 2013-01-31 at 01:40 PM.

I'm pleased. I made a comment in a thread last week that I thought Blizz shouldn't gamble too much, but with a quality director like this, and the budget they seem to have allready set up, I'm caustiously optimistic of at least a watchable movie.

Just to put it in perspective, the Southpark episode featuring WoW was a HUGE reason for people to pick up the game. Can you imagine what a whole movie could potentially do for WoW?

If it's a watchable movie, nothing special, 7/10 allround, it will still be a gigantic marketing opportunity and draw in massive numbers of people to the game. If it scores better then that, and the movie does well....

My only concern is still that a movie is an expensive thing to do, and that if it fails it could damage the Warcraft name and cost Blizz tons of money. But Blizz have shown to be capable to make entertainment (games, cinematics, books) of a quality that is at least passable, so I'm going to stay on the positive side till we see things like actor names and plots and such come out.
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

Well at least they didn't pick Uwe Boll to direct it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 06:52 AM ----------

What do you guys think?
    As much as I love the story of Arthas I really do not think it will be about him. It will likely tie in with an upcoming expansion like something do do with the Burning Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Am i the only one who thinks they dropped this now to Hype up the masses and divert attention from the incoming Q4 report?
    Yes, you are.

Watch. Q4 will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

About time we hear more about the movie... it was announced way back during mid TBC that were were already making the damn thing.

Still hoping that they decide to base the story on Arthas. He's the best choice as the main character

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Well, the first part is true, the resident evil franchise is succesful, but then you go on about the quality of the film. Money it makes =/= how good it is. Two Tomb Raider movies made more than any 1 Resident Evil film. Second highest grossing video game film is Prince of Persia. First is Lara Croft Tom Raider at 131 million. Depending on a trailer, the WoW movie could triumph that in a week, due to fanbase and people's parents being interested in what the hell their kids have been spending their moeny on. Also they need to make a Mass Effect/ Halo movie already, long overdue.
    Halo movie is Forward Unto Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    Well at least they didn't pick Uwe Boll to direct it.[COLOR="red"]
    What Blizzard done when Uwe Boll asked about the rights

Throughly enjoyed moon, So hoping that this will be good
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

I've pretty much lost all faith for video games turned movie.

No way in hell I'd spend movie ticket prices to watch another one and no matter the massive hype blizzard will try and spin on this one and they will do just that, it wont be one to see at the theater. Netflix maybe.

There all pretty much terrible with only a few I'd even consider mediocre at best.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 02:21 PM.

Seriously. Wow movie has to be animated. It will not work any other way....
    And by god WE NEED A AWESOME animated movie. And blizzard sure does know how to make beautiful animated movies.
    Wouldnt it be nice? rather then some half poor CGI movie.

Also i cant see wow movie become a flop. THEY HAVE ALL THE LORE THEY NEED.
    Last edited by Johnkie; 2013-01-31 at 02:24 PM.

What do you guys think?
    I disagree

I think that Arthas' story should be saved for later, if ever actually done. Starting with Arthas would be a typical Hollywood-movie mistake; to start with the best and then... have nowhere else to go if succesful. It's typical Michael Bay thinking, and it gets boring fast, supossing you want a seties of movies and not just a single one.

WarCraft can and should be a series of cinematic movies in my opinion. The world is just too big to do it justice in a single movie. I am not saying by this that everything should be included, quite the contrary; there should be a careful selection of what to include and what not to. But, there is a lot of material that has the potential to be used in a good way, but will take more than a single movie to do so. In parts, not all together. This way all of the different elements can get their time to shine, like all the different racial factions. Give concepts such as the elves the time to be interesting instead of going 'Huray, our allies the dwarves, the gnomes and the elves are here, fellow humans, now we can kick some ass!' Cash in on the coolness of each aspect, not gloss over them.

Actually WarCraft's storyline is a quite nice guide to such an approach. It starts with a few racial factions in conflict with each other, then expands to some more, only to introduce a bigger danger that unites them all, have the danger subside for the moment, but leave its scars and those scars to twist things, cause even more conflict that breaks the attempts at peace, only for the danger to return when the various heroes of the story are at their weakest and most vulnerable. Bad thing about that approach is it is very risky financially, since it will require more than one movie. The good thing is, people love grand storytelling. They enjoy vast fictional worlds, as long as they are done right, like it was seen with the Lord of the Rings movies. And they they will even watch a classic swashbuckling adventure as long as it is done right. So there is no need to go to the limits right from the start. Only need is to do a good job and not cut corners.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-01-31 at 02:44 PM.

Not too sure if I should be bouncing off the walls hyper about the film, or if I shouldn't get my hopes up about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    When i think about it..

streetfighter was shit
    Dbz was shit
    Silent hill was shit
    tombraider was shit

the only game movie i can think of that was rather enjoyable was resident evil... Oh gawd.. dont let them Do this..
    Street fighter animated movie was good.

Also, Raul Julia in live action SF movie "for me it was tuesday" comment was epic (yes the rest was crap).

100 M $ budget... interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    When i think about it..

streetfighter was shit
    Dbz was shit
    Silent hill was shit
    tombraider was shit

the only game movie i can think of that was rather enjoyable was resident evil... Oh gawd.. dont let them Do this..
    If the movie is mostly CGI, it'll be fantastic, because obviously you've seen the Blizzard Cinematics over the years.

If it's Live Action, I dunno.

It's up in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

It's not Peter Jackson or James Cameron?