Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Not too sure if I should be bouncing off the walls hyper about the film, or if I shouldn't get my hopes up about it....
    Look up successful video games turned movies and you will go with your latter thought.

Just a hand full have been mediocre at best and I mean a small hand full. The majority have just sucked.

Here's a site with a rundown of the top 32 and if blizzard is putting in 100 million to make the film and you go off just past movies, then they are already losing money.

Check it here:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...adaptation.htm

The CGI stuff blizzard makes is to good to discount it and do a live action movie with a very high chance to fail.

EDIT: Looking at those numbers is kinda sad. Seeing that for all 32 movies, one comic book adaption of the avengers grossed more than all of them.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Look up successful video games turned movies and you will go with your latter thought.

Just a hand full have been mediocre at best and I mean a small hand full. The majority have just sucked.

Here's a site with a rundown of the top 32 and if blizzard is putting in 100 million to make the film and you go off just past movies, then they are already losing money.

Check it here:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...adaptation.htm

The CGI stuff blizzard makes is to good to discount it and do a live action movie with a very high chance to fail.
    Thing about that link is it only lists the american gross income in that first page. When you actually click on the link for each movie you'll see most have pretty much the same gross profit again from overseas income. Meaning that if the movie does better then some of the later Resident Evil movies that it's allready breaking even ON PURE MOVIE INCOME. Now add to that merchandise and crap and Blizz should be doing allright out of the deal. Not to mention that if the movie is succesful they could draw in a whole slew of old and new players to WoW. CHA-CHING!
    Your Soul Shall Suffer! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    I disagree

<snip>
    Why are you talking about multiple movies already? The first needs to be a success before you can even think about what might come in the future. As for giving races their own movie to flesh out the universe, that sounds great and all but remember this is a +100 million dollar production, it needs to satisfy a lot more than the few million fans out there, it needs to appeal to a much wider audience.

I do have to say, at least the guy is confident. Here's his tweet from yesterday:

"So the gauntlet was thrown down ages ago: Can you make a proper MOVIE of a video game.Ive always said its possible.Got to DO it now! "

I'm really hopeful he'll pull this off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Thing about that link is it only lists the american gross income in that first page. When you actually click on the link for each movie you'll see most have pretty much the same gross profit again from overseas income. Meaning that if the movie does better then some of the later Resident Evil movies that it's allready breaking even ON PURE MOVIE INCOME. Now add to that merchandise and crap and Blizz should be doing allright out of the deal. Not to mention that if the movie is succesful they could draw in a whole slew of old and new players to WoW. CHA-CHING!
    Your also not adding in the massive amount of publicity needed for the movie and the incurring cost which is normally millions of additional dollars and for most movies it's over half of the production cost.

Take the movie most thought was a flop.

The Last Airbender. 150Mil production but it had another 130 mil in marketing. A total of 280 million.

Even that movie made money but we'll likely never see another one cause it's seen as a failure for a live action and it's not even a video game and they have a much harder time being sold to the public.

All that is not saying it wont make some money, A live action has massive potential to be seen as a flop, even if it makes a profit.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 03:26 PM.

Take the movie most thought was a flop.

The Last Airbender. 150Mil production but it had another 130 mil in marketing. A total of 280 million.

Even that movie made money but we'll likely never see another one cause it's seen as a failure for a live action and it's not even a video game and they have a much harder time being sold to the public.
    Yeah but you have to keep in mind M. Night Shamalamadingdong directed Avatar..
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Why are you talking about multiple movies already? The first needs to be a success before you can even think about what might come in the future. As for giving races their own movie to flesh out the universe, that sounds great and all but remember this is a +100 million dollar production, it needs to satisfy a lot more than the few million fans out there, it needs to appeal to a much wider audience.
    I am talking about multiple movies in an imaginary scenario where you can create your own version, as an answer to what I quoted. The script for the actual movie has already been written. And I am not a mindreader to be able to know what it is about to discuss that.

As for the audience that has to be satisfied, it is exactly because of that why I wouldn't just put everyone in the movie. It would just end up too confusing for the average viewer that knows next to nothing about WarCraft.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-01-31 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Yeah but you have to keep in mind M. Night Shamalamadingdong directed Avatar..
    No kidding. That guy has put a hurt of a good many stories as of late. However that may be, the same routine is seen a a number of video game to movie adaptions. They make a profit but are viewed as flops.

But the video game to live action has always been a difficult sell. So difficult, that even of the movie makes a profit (and a profit into the millions) there still seen as flop movies and you will likely never see a second one and the first one is never mentioned again except in someones joke routine.

The CGI would be a must stronger way to go for blizzard if you ask me.

No kidding. That guy has put a hurt of a good many stories as of late.

But the video game to live action has always been a difficult sell. So difficult, that even of the movie makes a profit (and a profit into the millions) there still seen as flop movies and you will likely never see a second one and the first one is never mentioned again except in someones joke routine.

The CGI would be a must stronger way to go for blizzard if you ask me.
    It may have a lot of blended CGI elements.

No clue though.

We barely know anything, and it seems too soon to judge.

It may have a lot of blended CGI elements.

No clue though.

We barely know anything, and it seems too soon to judge.
    and can you imagine if the blended CGI elements were as bad as some things we have seen. The avengers had a budget of 220 million and great looking CGI.

A 100 million seems rather small to me now knowing how good the CGI would have to be to make it sell without looking cheesy.

and can you imagine if the blended CGI elements were as bad as some things we have seen. The avengers had a budget of 220 million and great looking CGI.

A 100 million seems rather small to me now knowing how good the CGI would have to be to make it sell without looking cheesy.
    Blizzard should be able to make it work.

I dunno I'm still inclined to believe a shitload of the movie will be a lot like their cinematics.

I'm saving judgement until I know the general plot.

A bad director can ruin a good plot, but a bad plot can ruin a good director.
    You don't create "justice" by destroying. That includes buildings, cars, or the careers of the people you want "justice" for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Silent Hill?

Granted, I liked the Dungeons and Dragons movie (and Eragon, and the American Godzilla movie, which are all widely hated), so my opinion on movies may not be worth much to most people. :U
    I assume you never read the book Eragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghash View Post
    I assume you never read the book Eragon.
    God that movie version of Eragon just..

I saw it when I was in 8th grade and I wanted to punch a literal baby.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 03:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    I'm saving judgement until I know the general plot.

A bad director can ruin a good plot, but a bad plot can ruin a good director.
    Well, since Legendary is writing it, I have hope.

And they have help from Blizzard too obviously, whose story telling lately has been top notch.

All we can do is have faith.

The Insane
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Silent Hill?

Granted, I liked the Dungeons and Dragons movie (and Eragon, and the American Godzilla movie, which are all widely hated), so my opinion on movies may not be worth much to most people. :U
    Wait wut? Is that actually possible? I mean... Good god that was just.... So utterly horrible!
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Blizzard should be able to make it work.

I dunno I'm still inclined to believe a shitload of the movie will be a lot like their cinematics.
    I dunno, I think a good number of people would feel slighted if a large portion of the movie was cinematics they had already seen or even something similar.

It's got to be some new, very interesting stuff if you ask me.

I'm not sure they could go back and pull up story lines we have already played through. As cool as the lick king was, I don't care to revisit it at the movies. (same for the cinematics)

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Wait wut? Is that actually possible? I mean... Good god that was just.... So utterly horrible!
    IF we never agree on anything else ever again, I at least know we agree on that. The D&D movies as so bad.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    oO the movie still has hope
    too bad it took this long
    noone that played wc3 in its time cares anymore
    My lines are so potent that in this small segment i made all of the ladies in the first 3 comments pregnant!

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    Sorry, did you take a survey of everyone who played Warcraft 3 and specifically ask them?

Just watched Source Code which he directed, it was a very good movie and it was done with a low budget, lower than the warcraft movie's. I hope he and the others with him will succeed in making this movie.

The Insane
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    Hi! I played Warcraft 3 in it's time and I care... Guess I just kinda ruined your claim there....
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann