Personality flip fopping

A lot of people commented about how out of character it was for Tyrande to be impatient and whiny in the Little Patience scenario. I haven't actually seen her WC3 roots but I completely agree. (However she has been described as having a tendency to be rash, and she does realize Varian's wisdom at the end of that scenario)

The thing is, this kind of personalty shifting has happened with just about every single character in the game. Think about it...

Jaina: Went from being willing to do anything for peace, to dangerously insane/fighting for the sole goal of getting revenge on Garrosh and the Blood Elves.
    Varian: Used to be a warmonger, was more or less responsible for the re-ignition of the war between the Alliance and Horde, now in Mists he's mellowing out considerably.
    Garrosh: Was ashamed of his father, sat crying in Nagrand, next thing you know he's suddenly following in his footsteps and one of the most despised characters in Azeroth.
    Thrall: Was just as familiar with war as all orcs (albeit wiser and more reasonable), then he becomes a Mary Sue neutral character in Cataclysm who doesn't even do anything to fix the damage Garrosh is causing even after that.

And let's not forget the numerous "fallen heroes" - Arthas, Fendral, Benedictus, etc.

I think the real reason is, Blizzard just utterly fails at giving characters solid personalities, since the community is so large that there WILL be complaints about the characters no matter what. As a result about 90% of the major lore figures end up feeling like broken characters - they want to do well. They want to be respected as leaders. But they end up being very malleable types canonically whose opinions and mannerisms can change.

What I'm saying is, they decided they wanted to bring Tyrande back to her WC3 roots after getting some criticism about her passiveness in cataclysm, but now people are complaining about her becoming hotheaded and impetuous suddenly without a good explanation - because in Warcraft III the Night Elves as a whole went through a character development that made them the peaceful types they were at the start of WoW (correct me if I'm wrong). You see, Blizzard can't win on this. They need to understand that sometimes it's okay to ignore the complaints of players about lore and stick to their plans when it comes to characters.

It probably comes down more to the general decline of the community in general though. And of course the "This is war, grow up" attitude of just about all of the NPCs since WotLK.
    Last edited by JFrombaugh; 2013-01-31 at 08:00 PM.