Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A lot of the appeal of the game is due to the brand. If you aren't a fan of dungeons and dragons, and the Forgotten Realms in particular, then yeah it is a mediocre game.
    I am a huge D&D fan, though not so much Forgotten Realms. But, in a video game setting, I can look past that. To me, this game isn't the best by any means. I put it on par with Turbine's D&DOnline, as I honestly can't figure out which is better and which is worse. My biggest dislike of this game is the excessive amount of control it has over the tabletop game. Everything they create for that (a 5th edition based system) is controlled by this game (a 4th edition based system). Everything is tied into this game. They only make adventures set around Neverwinter (and in the Sword Coast region), which is all they release, since adventures are easier to use cross-edition, while game mechanics are a lot harder, especially when the systems (5th edition and 4th edition) are so completely different from each other.

Neverwinter wasn't the worst MMORPG I have ever played, and actually got a guardian fighter up to level 16 before the game officially launched before I called it quits. But my enjoyment has evaporated into nothing thanks to what I mentioned above. If Hasbro would detach the tabletop game from this game, maybe I would try out the paladin for longer (got one to level 3 or 4, I think) than I did. But until that happens, this game is dead to me.

I am glad others find this game to be enjoyable, and I hope they continue to do so. But some people seem to take anyone saying negative things about a game as a personal attack.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I am glad others find this game to be enjoyable, and I hope they continue to do so. But some people seem to take anyone saying negative things about a game as a personal attack.
    Hardly. It's more likely that when people post things with no room for discussion about how terrible they find the game and that they rate it the lowest other than Defiance of all MMOs...what do you expect to gain? There's a vast difference between what you have done, which is expressing your dislike in a manner that is both rational and detailed while also allowing room for discussion.

You haven't presented an ultimatum of your view as a finite fact of game bashing, which is what set up this entire dialogue. Luckily Bard has more patience for trolling than I do to try and much up a conversation out of a pile of poop. I may post a lot, but I don't have time for that.

Re: what you actually said, do they really tie the TT game editions into NWO like you've said? That's sorta weird. Seems like they would do whatever they want as the 'source' material and allow NWO to catch up however they see fit. I've always wanted to get seriously into real DnD, but I don't have enough experience to do it over the internet via Virtual TT or anything and don't have a group to reliably play with here.
    BAD WOLF

I enjoyed this game quite a bit prior to the Elemental Evil expansion. I had a 60 of all classes but Guardian Fighter, I liked playing them, I enjoyed all the solo-friendly content I could do. Then they released the latest mod and it ruined the game cos suddenly I was facing my hated foe, the gear treadmill. Plus everything got so overtuned and all the endgame stuff I used to be able to do got rescaled for 70 and I just...no.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I enjoyed this game quite a bit prior to the Elemental Evil expansion. I had a 60 of all classes but Guardian Fighter, I liked playing them, I enjoyed all the solo-friendly content I could do. Then they released the latest mod and it ruined the game cos suddenly I was facing my hated foe, the gear treadmill. Plus everything got so overtuned and all the endgame stuff I used to be able to do got rescaled for 70 and I just...no.
    Did you do the quest chain with minsc? it catches you up with the gear curve and then its smooth sailing from there.

edit: It's like, getting your hellfire peninsula greens.
    Last edited by RoninaThorstone; 2015-06-05 at 06:19 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Hardly. It's more likely that when people post things with no room for discussion about how terrible they find the game and that they rate it the lowest other than Defiance of all MMOs...what do you expect to gain? There's a vast difference between what you have done, which is expressing your dislike in a manner that is both rational and detailed while also allowing room for discussion.

You haven't presented an ultimatum of your view as a finite fact of game bashing, which is what set up this entire dialogue. Luckily Bard has more patience for trolling than I do to try and much up a conversation out of a pile of poop. I may post a lot, but I don't have time for that.

Re: what you actually said, do they really tie the TT game editions into NWO like you've said? That's sorta weird. Seems like they would do whatever they want as the 'source' material and allow NWO to catch up however they see fit. I've always wanted to get seriously into real DnD, but I don't have enough experience to do it over the internet via Virtual TT or anything and don't have a group to reliably play with here.
    You're a really salty and unpleasant individual and that's coming from someone with legit anger issues.

I said my personally, PERSONALLY lowest rated among what MMOs -I- have played. Why are you so hung up on that? I've been on this thread now for a page discussing as to why and taking into account other peoples' considerations yet I'm just trolling?

How about you bugger off? You're the one with a clear and distinct problem, not me.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-06-05 at 06:43 PM.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're a really salty and unpleasant individual
    *yawn* Is ad hom the only thing in your bag of tricks over there? You bashed a game. You didn't present any points to consider or debate. After getting called out you pulled out your victim flag and engaged in a half hearted convo with someone who likes this game so much to try and make you see how it isn't for you, to which you continue to repeat how you don't like the way it looks and sounds so you think it's crap. Do I have the right of it? Ok.

Please see Pachy's post for how to go in detail about how much you dislike a game, but still provide talking points for a real discourse. Take notes. Come back to us when you have something. I'll be happy to discuss your position in a rational and objective manner. Until then, I'm not sure how to help you.
    BAD WOLF

*yawn* Is ad hom the only thing in your bag of tricks over there? You bashed a game. You didn't present any points to consider or debate. After getting called out you pulled out your victim flag and engaged in a half hearted convo with someone who likes this game so much to try and make you see how it isn't for you, to which you continue to repeat how you don't like the way it looks and sounds so you think it's crap. Do I have the right of it? Ok.

Please see Pachy's post for how to go in detail about how much you dislike a game, but still provide talking points for a real discourse. Take notes. Come back to us when you have something. I'll be happy to discuss your position in a rational and objective manner. Until then, I'm not sure how to help you.
    How about this, I block you instead. I've had about enough of your nasty tongue and constant need to condescend.

Goodbye incessant and unpleasant individual. Thank Allah for the blessed block feature!

Maybe you should take your own advice on how to critique and apply it to how you speak towards others before you dare give them lessons on how they should critique a game! At least one is directed at an object versus being rude and outright belligerent towards another person. I've been fairly respectful of the others in this thread despite my clear disliking of the game in discussion.

That's a lot more than I can say of you.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-06-05 at 06:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    K. I guess you don't have anything worth actually discussing then. I wish you the best of luck in all of the amazing MMOs that aren't this one you enjoy.

PS- We all know you're going to click on my white bar anyways.
    BAD WOLF

They never do. Just rant.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    Did you do the quest chain with minsc? it catches you up with the gear curve and then its smooth sailing from there.

edit: It's like, getting your hellfire peninsula greens.
    Just because you seem really nice, swear by this game, and I truly do appreciate my friend that has been gunning for me to play... I will give it one more shot.

At least far enough along in order to participate in dungeons and the likes. That way I can, for the sake of fairness, have a better idea of how this game falls. This time around I'm turning off zone chat and all that noise, picking a better class/race, and trying to make the most of my foray back into the world.

Do my damnedest to ignore the nagging issues I have with the start. Maybe crank up some metal.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-06-05 at 10:18 PM.

Just because you seem really nice, swear by this game, and I truly do appreciate my friend that has been gunning for me to play... I will give it one more shot.

At least far enough along to do participate in dungeons and the likes. That way I can, for the sake of fairness, have a better idea of how this game falls. This time around I'm turning off zone chat and all that noise, picking a better class/race, and trying to make the most of my foray back into the world.
    I can only swear that I enjoy it, not that you will.

Personally, I love the dungeons, I think the questing is okay quality but also very, very fast, and the solo end games boon system gives me long term goals (think paragon system). The PvP is a bit too fotm but what MMO doesn't have that problem?

I think its a fantastic game if you look at what it provides; great dungeon crawls, the most and best solo end game of any MMO, and face paced, good combat.
    If that's what you are looking for, then I bet you can find it here.

Other things like raiding, quality story telling, and deep economics, other games do those things better.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    I can only swear that I enjoy it, not that you will.

Personally, I love the dungeons, I think the questing is okay quality but also very, very fast, and the solo end games boon system gives me long term goals (think paragon system). The PvP is a bit too fotm but what MMO doesn't have that problem?

I think its a fantastic game if you look at what it provides; great dungeon crawls, the most and best solo end game of any MMO, and face paced, good combat.
    If that's what you are looking for, then I bet you can find it here.

Other things like raiding, quality story telling, and deep economics, other games do those things better.
    I do like 5-man content. It's a big part of why I prefer FFXIV over WoW currently. FFXIV rewards you fairly well for your effort in grinding out dungeons, plus they're simply lovely to look at and play through. So they're exceptionally relevant, enjoyable, and perhaps just as much as their final raid. While WoW essentially gave up on having their dungeons mean anything(boring to boot) to the point they might as well removed them entirely. Was so disappointed with that approach which became evident during MoP.

I also like solo-content too of course.

I do like 5-man content. It's a big part of why I prefer FFXIV over WoW currently. FFXIV rewards you fairly well for your effort in grinding out dungeons, plus they're simply lovely to look at and play through. So they're exceptionally relevant, enjoyable, and perhaps just as much as their final raid. While WoW essentially gave up on having their dungeons mean anything(boring to boot) to the point they might as well removed them entirely. Was so disappointed with that approach which became evident during MoP.

I also like solo-content too of course.
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Skirmish
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dungeon
    (some dungeons to be re-released in future patches)
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Boons
    (solo end game paragon unlocks)

Bard (why did you change your name?) provides a good list of strengths of the game. Personally the animations are too much of an issue for me (I'm very picky about them) to really enjoy it. Plus it really doesn't seem like dungeons and dragons to me. But I'm used to Neverwinter Nights so I'm always comparing, which probably isn't fair.

But I still enjoy the game from time to time due to what Bard said.

Bard (why did you change your name?) provides a good list of strengths of the game. Personally the animations are too much of an issue for me (I'm very picky about them) to really enjoy it. Plus it really doesn't seem like dungeons and dragons to me. But I'm used to Neverwinter Nights so I'm always comparing, which probably isn't fair.

But I still enjoy the game from time to time due to what Bard said.
    Watched a Tiefling and her animations look a lot better than the Drow's. To be honest everything about the Tiefling looks better, what the hell? xD

Bard (why did you change your name?)
    So peepz can find me on steam easier
    (it's also a name I use a lot in game (ronina or roninathorstone)

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched a Tiefling and her animations look a lot better than the Drow's. To be honest everything about the Tiefling looks better, what the hell? xD
    Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but the animations on every race are the exact same. The only thing that changes animations is classes. Maybe you like the whole tail/horned race a bit more than the generic dark skinned elf?

Anyways was just skimming through the argument in the last couple of pages. My honest opinion is you shouldn't judge an MMO within its first 10 min.

The graphics aren't top notch, the voice acting is awful, there are numerous bugs which take long to get fixed, class balance is mostly a running joke and this game has a love for making you grind your ass off whether its enchanting your gear, do months of dailies, etc but the actual gameplay in my opinion is suberb. The combat gets really engaging once you start unlocking more abilities, put talent points in and partake in some cool dungeons/skirmishes.

The Boon system while i curse it for the fact it isn't account wide, its a very neat way to entice people to run the dailies and provides a fairly interesting way to do "end-game" where your character isn't just getting stronger because he equipped a purple over a blue, but also through special effects and procs.

They actually fucking release content at a decent rate which could put some MMOs i'm not naming here to shame, coming from a F2P offering.

There is a heavy emphasis on the cash shop, but despite that, almost everything there can be acquired by grinding the games Astral Diamonds and buying that stuff off the Auction House. It all comes down to whether you wanna fork those $$ to get what you want NOW or grind for it and get it eventually.

I still play this from time to time, though i used to play a bit more. I no longer have time for games that are too grindy -- do not get me wrong here , there are games grindier than Neverwinter out there, i'm being very strict in the sense of the word. I can no longer spare more than 1 hour at most each day to gaming so i need faster, bit sized games to play like GW2, Marvel Heroes etc. Neverwinter requires a bit more of time investment to progress your character that i can't really afford atm -- but to any1 that has more time than me in their hands, this is an actually solid offering in the MMO business.

Quote Originally Posted by Razael View Post
    Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but the animations on every race are the exact same. The only thing that changes animations is classes. Maybe you like the whole tail/horned race a bit more than the generic dark skinned elf?

Anyways was just skimming through the argument in the last couple of pages. My honest opinion is you shouldn't judge an MMO within its first 10 min.

The graphics aren't top notch, the voice acting is awful, there are numerous bugs which take long to get fixed, class balance is mostly a running joke and this game has a love for making you grind your ass off whether its enchanting your gear, do months of dailies, etc but the actual gameplay in my opinion is suberb. The combat gets really engaging once you start unlocking more abilities, put talent points in and partake in some cool dungeons/skirmishes.

The Boon system while i curse it for the fact it isn't account wide, its a very neat way to entice people to run the dailies and provides a fairly interesting way to do "end-game" where your character isn't just getting stronger because he equipped a purple over a blue, but also through special effects and procs.

They actually fucking release content at a decent rate which could put some MMOs i'm not naming here to shame, coming from a F2P offering.

There is a heavy emphasis on the cash shop, but despite that, almost everything there can be acquired by grinding the games Astral Diamonds and buying that stuff off the Auction House. It all comes down to whether you wanna fork those $$ to get what you want NOW or grind for it and get it eventually.

I still play this from time to time, though i used to play a bit more. I no longer have time for games that are too grindy -- do not get me wrong here , there are games grindier than Neverwinter out there, i'm being very strict in the sense of the word. I can no longer spare more than 1 hour at most each day to gaming so i need faster, bit sized games to play like GW2, Marvel Heroes etc. Neverwinter requires a bit more of time investment to progress your character that i can't really afford atm -- but to any1 that has more time than me in their hands, this is an actually solid offering in the MMO business.
    I don't know, the Drow I played looked goofy as hell in comparison to the Tiefling.

It maybe partly how their model inherently stands and despite having similar animations(if not exactly the same) one can look less awkward than the other?
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-06-06 at 01:23 AM.

While they haven't come out and specifically said so, it is so easy to figure out. August of 2014 they release 5th edition D&D. They released the Hoard of the Dragon Queen in September, and I believe that's when Neverwinter added in the Tyranny of Dragons module/patch. Princes of the Apocalypse was supposed to release back in March, but it was delayed until April 7th. Neverwinter was supposed to release the Elemental Evil patch in March, but it was magically delayed until April 7th. The next adventure module for the tabletop game is set in the Underdark, beneath Neverwinter, where you help Drizzt out and take out some demons and demon lords from invading the Underdark. It is set to release in the fall. They haven't said anything yet, but I am 100% positive the next Neverwinter patch will be going into the Underdark with Drizzt to stop demons from invading the Underdark and killing demon lords, and will be released in fall 2015.

There have only been 3 rulebooks released for the new tabletop edition, the 3 core books (player's handbook, dungeon master's guide, monster manual). They have only released adventure modules (starter set, Hoard of the Dragon Queen/Rise of Tiamat [tyranny of dragons], Princes of the Apocalypse [elemental evil]), and they will only be releasing adventure modules set within the Forgotten Realms (and I am 100% positive they will all be in the Sword Coast/Neverwinter area), with no other rulebooks to be released on the horizon. As I said, adventures are easy enough to have cross-edition. Rules are not, which is why they won't be making any new rulebooks. Just tossing out new spells, monsters, and maybe a player option as an appendix to the adventure book.

It's why I have lost all interest in Neverwinter. If they would just divorce the 2 games, my opinion would change. As for why I continue in this thread? Curious about the state of the game in that tiny almost non-existant chance they will separate the 2.