Deleted
    Btw how many pvp maps does this game have these days? I think they had only two for like a year, but perhaps a couple of more has been added now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Btw how many pvp maps does this game have these days? I think they had only two for like a year, but perhaps a couple of more has been added now?
    I did some PvP on my Paladin and it was only 2 maps that rotated

Devs said PVP population is so minuscule that it doesn't justify spending more time developing new maps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    Devs said PVP population is so minuscule that it doesn't justify spending more time developing new maps.
    Perhaps it's a small population because it only has 2 maps, and had it for over a year :P
    Well, at least it seems their intentions is not to make it bigger anyway

Anyone else notice that the seal progression is desynced from leveling now?

I guess it's not a big deal since quest rewards are on par with them.

Just odd.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Friend tried to get me to play this. I got 10 minutes in and immediately uninstalled. Mind you have a plethora of alternatives at my disposal so it's easy for me to be picky but all the same... I don't really get the appeal. Even the much-touted combat is just okay and that's the highlight of the game! I felt like Tera(another F2P) did it a lot better ultimately.

Even the community itself, upon reaching the inner-walls of the city, practically told me that I was in for a rather unpleasant ride. Now if that isn't foreboding I don't know what is! The game really does a poor job of gripping you nor does it impress. It comes across like a cheap hack-n'-slash dungeon-crawler that got slapped with the 'MMO' brand in order to rake in money off of pony-sales and the likes.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-06-05 at 04:20 PM.
    German science is the greatest in the world!

A lot of the appeal of the game is due to the brand. If you aren't a fan of dungeons and dragons, and the Forgotten Realms in particular, then yeah it is a mediocre game.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    A lot of the appeal of the game is due to the brand. If you aren't a fan of dungeons and dragons, and the Forgotten Realms in particular, then yeah it is a mediocre game.
    In terms of the MMOs I've played the only one I MIGHT rate lower is Defiance and even that's unlikely.

The part that confuses me is the vehement support for it that my friend has. I'm genuinely bewildered.

I disagree there. I've played (unfortunately) a lot of garbage mmos. While Neverwinter Online isn't the greatest, I've played a whole lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    Friend tried to get me to play this. I got 10 minutes in and immediately uninstalled. Mind you have a plethora of alternatives at my disposal so it's easy for me to be picky but all the same... I don't really get the appeal. Even the much-touted combat is just okay and that's the highlight of the game! I felt like Tera(another F2P) did it a lot better ultimately.

Even the community itself, upon reaching the inner-walls of the city, practically told me that I was in for a rather unpleasant ride. Now if that isn't foreboding I don't know what is! The game really does a poor job of gripping you nor does it impress. It comes across like a cheap hack-n'-slash dungeon-crawler that got slapped with the 'MMO' brand in order to rake in money off of pony-sales and the likes.
    I would say that Teras combat is so different that it is best not to try to compare them.

Teras combat is exceptionally detailed with complex hit boxes, long action lock periods, and a heavy focus on timing and combos.
    It's sort of like streetfighter, a high speed chess match.

Neverwinter, on the other hand, is more reactive with very small action locks and tight decision windows.
    It's more like a first person shooter in that respect.

As to the amount of time you invested into it, I think that's probably why it doesn't appeal to you.
    This game has excellent dungeons (which open up around level 18) and exceptional solo end game (which starts around level 25).

You would have to invest much more time into the game in order to reach the enjoyable parts.

I disagree there. I've played (unfortunately) a lot of garbage mmos. While Neverwinter Online isn't the greatest, I've played a whole lot worse.
    Well to give you an idea of what I've played....

FFXI, FFXIV, WoW, Rift, ESO, GW, GW2, Tera, Defiance, Archeage, TSW, SWtoR, and Wildstar. I legitimately cannot rate any of them(save maybe Defiance) lower than Neverwinter. I am sure if I played more Perfect World Entertainment titles I could.

...but there is a reason I tend to avoid said titles.

I usually try just about every mmo that comes out (although lately I've curbed that a bit) so yeah, lots of garbage out there.

Well to give you an idea of what I've played....

FFXI, FFXIV, WoW, Rift, ESO, GW, GW2, Tera, Defiance, Archeage, TSW, SWtoR, and Wildstar. I legitimately cannot rate any of them(save maybe Defiance) lower than Neverwinter. I am sure if I played more Perfect World Entertainment titles I could.

I would place archage, defiance, and wildstar below Neverwinter.

TSW, GW2, and Swtor are all narrative driven MMOs so... I don't know how to respond to that.
    It would be like ranking books from different genres. If someone likes horror they might like tsw more. If someone likes scifi they might like swtor more. If someone likes fantasy they might like GW2 more.

Rift, FF14, and WoW I found to be very focused on raiding (and I loved raiding in all 3 of them) so, again, not sure comparing a 1-5 player game to a game that's focused on 10-20 is worth much.

I would put it on par with teso (I should get back into teso, my templar probably misses me)

I usually try just about every mmo that comes out (although lately I've curbed that a bit) so yeah, lots of garbage out there.
    I'm a lot more careful about my picks as you can tell.

Right now FFXIV stands as king in the MMO market for me; though I do REALLY like Tera's combat.

Are you certain it's because of the quality of these games? Or, perhaps, it's because you aren't interested in what the designers intended to deliver?

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    I would place archage, defiance, and wildstar below Neverwinter.

TSW, GW2, and Swtor are all narrative driven MMOs so... I don't know how to respond to that.
    It would be like ranking books from different genres. If someone likes horror they might like tsw more. If someone likes scifi they might like swtor more. If someone likes fantasy they might like GW2 more.

Rift, FF14, and WoW I found to be very focused on raiding (and I loved raiding in all 3 of them) so, again, not sure comparing a 1-5 player game to a game that's focused on 10-20 is worth much.

I would put it on par with teso (I should get back into teso, my templar probably misses me)
    See, I was super disappointed in Wildstar but there is no way I could rate it lower than Neverwinter. I don't even get where the logic for that kind of call would come from. You might like certain aspects of the latter but that doesn't make up for its myriad of shortcomings which far surpass the shortcomings Wildstar itself has to offer.

And I DEFINITELY wouldn't put it on par with ESO. Hell, right off the bat ESO actually pulls the player in. Neverwinter seems like it was to intentionally repulse them. I genuinely got past the bridge sequence and dumped into this bustling almost happy-go-lucky appearing town and it was jarring. None of it made any sense to me. That's before we get into the horrendous VA and general feel of it all which is decidedly - cheap.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-06-05 at 04:41 PM.

Neverwinter seems like it was to intentionally repulse them.
    Clearly that isn't the case for everyone considering the size of the community.

I feel that the game delivers on exactly what it promises, which is a lot more than what other MMOs, such as Wildstar, have managed.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninaThorstone View Post
    Clearly that isn't the case for everyone considering the size of the community.

I feel that the game delivers on exactly what it promises, which is a lot more than what other MMOs, such as Wildstar, have managed.
    I've also noticed, no offense, that you could wrap a turd in tinfoil and as long as it was labeled "free 2 play" you can have a sizable community. That's not a joke nor me being snide. Just saying that such a comment doesn't mean much to me in the end, all things considered.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2015-06-05 at 04:45 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look...one of those: "I spent 30 minutes playing this game and don't understand the design at all so it is the worst MMO ever made" poopposts. *vroom vroom*

I played a similar time frame of Eve, really couldn't enjoy it, and felt really out of sorts. Did I go to the Eve thread and post about what a bad MMO it is? No. I realize that I can't even begin to understand what the game is trying to do with my limited experience, regardless of how many spreadsheets I've used IRL or how many other MMOs I've played. It's simply different and I didn't get it. It's not for me. I can't comment on its quality nor rank it among any other MMOs with my narrow view.

If only everyone could be objective *backpat*.
    BAD WOLF

I've also noticed, no offense, that you could wrap a turd in tinfoil and as long as it was labeled "free 2 play" you can have a sizable community. That's not a joke or me being snide either. Just saying that such a comment doesn't mean much to me in the end all things considered.
    Neverwinter Online has the following:

- Months of solo end game
    - A dozen or so dungeons (instant queue)
    - Another a dozen skirmishes (again, instant queue)
    - Arena pvp
    - Open world pvp
    - D&D based lore / story with voice acting
    - Endless player generated content (the red star ranked stuff is quite good)
    - Fast pace, semi action combat
    - Open world dynamic events

If you are looking for something other than those things, that doesn't mean the game is bad, just that you are looking in the wrong place.
    Last edited by RoninaThorstone; 2015-06-05 at 04:49 PM.