Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Music] Taylor Swift scores biggest first week album sales in 10 years

LOS ANGELES - Country-pop star Taylor Swift's latest album "Red" has notched up the highest first week U.S. sales figures since 2002. According to Nielsen SoundScan figures, "Red" sold 1.2 million copies in its first week of release.

Swift's album, which will land at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 on Wednesday, will be the 22-year-old singer's third album to top the chart, following 2008's "Fearless" and 2010's "Speak Now." Swift is now also the only female singer to have seen two of her albums sell more than a million copies in the United States in one week. "Speak Now" sold just over 1 million copies in the first week after its release two years ago.

The last album to sell more than "Red" was rapper Eminem's "The Eminem Show," which sold 1.3 million copies in its debut week in 2002. Album sales have also been boosted by the popularity of lead single "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," hotly touted by fans to be about ex-boyfriend Gyllenhaal, which topped the Billboard Hot 100 single chart.

“Red” is the 18th album ever to sell a million or more copies in a week in the SoundScan era.

Sources:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89U03E20121031
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...um-since-2002/

Deleted
    Her music is absolute crap. Is this really the best selling music of our generation....?

Where's Kanye when you need him?

10+ Year Old Account
    Would, so very much so.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Her music is absolute crap. Is this really the best selling music of our generation....?

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1ygsmXBfe1rodz1bo1_500.jpg[IMG]
    That's what catchy songs will getcha.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post

Agreed, in addition is it just me or does Country music have like an awards thing every other month? I don't see any other genre that constantly needs to pat themselves on the head all the time...

Deleted
    This just in: horseshit sells.

Deleted
    Taylor Swift is a Goddess.

We need more artists like this. Her music makes me swoon from enjoyment.

Much love from the UK

Is it weird that I've never even heard that name before?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats junk..........some ppl have realy weird taste to like this.

Eminem compared too this is 1:100 difrence.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Is it weird that I've never even heard that name before?
    Yes, Mr. Too Cool for Media.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Parthenon View Post
    Taylor Swift is a Goddess.

We need more artists like this. Her music makes me swoon from enjoyment.

Much love from the UK
    Must...resist.... mean comments.....

what's funny is she has below average vocal talent. she wouldn't win a HS talent show with her voice alone. technology isn't just helping her of course, most "singers" today are signed because of appearance and then they autotune the voice, but she's really bad

point is to make money and she's doing it though. these people can't write their songs, can't perform their songs without the aid of computers yet people eat them up

good for her, I'll still switch channels whenever songs show up tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Agreed, in addition is it just me or does Country music have like an awards thing every other month? I don't see any other genre that constantly needs to pat themselves on the head all the time...
    She isn't country.

But yes, pop culture is all about congratulating itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    She isn't country.

But yes, pop culture is all about congratulating itself.
    My mistake then. Because every random Country awards show says it will have her on it. Therefore I had to assume she was in that genre.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    what's funny is she has below average vocal talent. she wouldn't win a HS talent show with her voice alone. technology isn't just helping her of course, most "singers" today are signed because of appearance and then they autotune the voice, but she's really bad

point is to make money and she's doing it though. these people can't write their songs, can't perform their songs without the aid of computers yet people eat them up
    Someone's mad.

Maybe you're just too mean?

Good for her I guess, always nice to hear someone made it.

I do like a few of her songs, some have a nice melody/music to them.

good for her. although im suprised since ive always found her music to be a bit bland.