Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    same here.. i prefer the 90 minute over the 120 minute. im making another trip down to the brewery this summer. can't wait.
    Prefer 90 over 120 minute eh? I guess this gives me more reason to try 90...

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 07:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    I actually think 90 Minute is way more balanced than 120 unless you can sit on 120 for a year. Plus I can't stand the shit storm that happens when it's released locally. My favorite bars become unbearably crowded.

I know where some Hopslam is, but upon going to the store they said they haven't put it in the system yet so they couldn't sell it to me. Gotta check back Monday, but of course I wanted it so I could drink some this weekend. >:|
    Very interesting.

And I don't go to bars because of the crowds, noise, and prices. I actually just tried Hopslam about a week or two ago and it's really good... but not for the reasons they say. It's not nearly as hoppy as I'd suspected.

You want hops? Southern Tier Gemini, Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, etc. However I'm not saying Hopslam wasn't GOOD, for sure. The flavor was immense, there was a slight honey mouthfeel and the beer was just all-around superb. Top-shelf for me.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I like mine cold to the point just before chunks start to form. Doesn't have to be any brand in particular, just that it's cold. God forbid I'm drinking pisswarm beer then it has to be Corona or Sofiero.
    Well, that limits you for sure.

Stouts especially, should be had rather warm, otherwise you don't get all the different intended flavors.

Hell if it's too cold, it can actually damage the beer.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Stella Artois. I usually only have them when I visit my dad and kick back a few while watch football or some kind of sporting event -- so I associate them with a nice little bout of quality familial bonding.

Otherwise I'll drink whatever gets me drunk the cheapest -- inexpensive drafts or whatever they have on tap at the bar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bud Light.
    People say it's swill/piss/water, but meh, I like it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably Rickard's Red. It's in Canada, that much I know.

A nice honey ale or something with an interesting name though and I'll certainly give it a shot.
    Tried an Indian beer named "Cobra". HAIL COBRA! Oh, that and something called "Dead Frog".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Stouts especially, should be had rather warm, otherwise you don't get all the different intended flavors.

I'm not very fond of dark beer so I don't feel I'm missing out. I usually only use stouts and ales in marinades or stews, that's where my line is drawn when it comes to darker beers. And yes, freezing your beer into a popsicle will ruin it, doesn't matter which brand you choose. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Prefer 90 over 120 minute eh? I guess this gives me more reason to try 90...
    I'd venture to say most people prefer 90 over 120. It is indeed far more balanced and easier to drink, and I don't really think that's subjective either. However both are fantastic.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet:

Budweiser.

But i dont really drink beer much, more of a JD guy

Belgian Wheat Ales, i love them. Yuengling if im broke. Guinnes is too heavy for me, its like eating a meal .

oh and Pale Ales are the devil. can't understand why people enjoy them. not knocking them but dam... gross to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Well it appears I won't be able to try any of your guy's suggestions

My liquor store sucks for imports.

ANYTHING from Bell's - Two Hearted is one of my favorites. A local brew here in MN is Surely Brewing both the Furious and the Bender are awesome (they're all great), along with my personal "go to" Summit Brewing EPA. For the longest time Guinness was my favorite beer, but that was pretty much because the only bars i went too had the run of the mill piss water (Bud/Light Miller Light) on tap, and then Guinness. Now that there has really been an explosion of micro-brews in the US in recent years, it's almost impossible to go to a reputable pub and NOT find a great selection of beers. Tonight (2/1/13) is actually "Winterfest" http://www.mncraftbrew.org/festivals/winterfest here in MN, and I am looking forward to sampling some new microbrews that have JUST started in the last few months here in the Twin Cities tonight!.

Also - Guinness isn't actually shipped to the US, I'm fairly certain that it is brewed by Anheuser Busch, and all of the Budweiser products served in Ireland are brewed @ St. James Gate by Guinness. Also - in the US beer has to be pasturized if I'm not mistaken, which can definitely alter the flavor of the Guinness if it's brewed here versus in Ireland.

God I want to go back to Europe and just beer-hop from country to country.

Also - Bushmills (Black Bush) Irish Whiskey is by far and away my drink of preference.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 03:19 PM ----------

Guinness Stout should be served at 6-7 degrees Centigrade (42 Ferenheit)
    Last edited by Shadgalaul; 2013-02-01 at 09:15 PM. Reason: added comments

Deleted

Cuvée des trolls. A pale beer, not too strong. Best served ice cold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadgalaul View Post
    Guinness Stout should be served at 6-7 degrees Centigrade (42 Ferenheit)
    Frankly I don't even believe Guinness makes real stouts anymore, anyways. They just lack the depth that stouts from most other breweries have. Guinness is the cheap stout brand and their stouts I find honestly watery and very low on alcohol content to really be considered a true stout.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/209/650

Part of the reason it is suggested to be served so cold is also because it's a drier stout, versus so many others.

I am not, however, adverse to the idea of trying a true Guinness brewed in Ireland, however that would mean I'd have to go to Ireland, and that sadly isn't happening anytime soon.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Budweiser;Miller

Frankly I don't even believe Guinness makes real stouts anymore, anyways. They just lack the depth that stouts from most other breweries have. Guinness is the cheap stout brand and their stouts I find honestly watery and very low on alcohol content to really be considered a true stout.
    Normally I wouldn't be this picky, but as a brewer myself, I have to:

Stouts are only that color due to the additions of roasted barley. A large portion of malts used in stouts are pale. The roasted just give it the telltale color, mouth feel, and adds to decent head retention.

Alcohol content is actually typically isn't all that high in stouts, compared to many other beers out there that are mass produced. If you get a stout with a higher alcohol content (I'd wager ~8%+), it's likely because they're close to doubling the malts involved - some may push the boundaries of an Imperial.

Malzbier. It's got a sweeter taste than most beers and is dark like the second beer on the picture.
    "Do you have a PUT HANDS ON PEOPLE spec?" - Danny

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Normally I wouldn't be this picky, but as a brewer myself, I have to:

Stouts are only that color due to the additions of roasted barley. A large portion of malts used in stouts are pale. The roasted just give it the telltale color, mouth feel, and adds to decent head retention.

Alcohol content is actually typically isn't all that high in stouts, compared to many other beers out there that are mass produced. If you get a stout with a higher alcohol content (I'd wager ~8%+), it's likely because they're close to doubling the malts involved - some may push the boundaries of an Imperial.
    I don't know where the color comment came into play, perhaps you thought that's what I meant with depth, but with depth what I was meaning to allude to was the overall flavor and experience of drinking the beer. After having stouts from several different microbreweries, I just feel like maybe I've been spoiled, I can no longer really enjoy a Guinness.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lager: Starno Brno. Czech lager, very rich in taste even though it's really light.
    Ale: Wells Bombardier. Don't drink ale too often though.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

my favorite would be the kind that has alcohol.
    No man really becomes a fool until he stops asking questions.

I've actually had a very good Guinness on tap at a local Irish pub. I mean, it's not good as Sierra Nevada's Stout or Old Rasputin, but on tap at the right place it's pretty good.