Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    England, Earth, Sol Star System, Milkyway Galaxy
    wet, cold and free. this is my favorite beer.
    CPU :- AMD FX6350 oc 4.4ghz
    Ram :- 8gb DDR3
    Mobo :- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    GPU :- XFX Radeon 6950 2GB
    Cooling :- Corsair H50

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I hope to be alive for when they make 360 Minute IPA.

"Fuck it, this is just alcohol with hops in it. Enjoy."

Man, I'd love some Dogfishhead right now.
    Oh man I'm right there with you! I sadly have no beer but I could really go for a nice IPA tonight!

360 Minute... or maybe 365 Minute for a full year? ;D That would be insane... might as well have whiskey with hops! :P

As a general note, guys, the whole... minute thing. It's named for the duration of the boil.

Now, I don't know enough into the biochemistry to understand, but I'm pretty sure longer != better in terms of benefits gained. From what I understand you may actually end up with more tannins from the original batch of malts (assuming you add more mid boil or something).

every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Radux dude..you know too much about this stuff?

What gives?

I've been brewing my own beer for about 4 years. I try to brew as much as I can afford, but more often than not I typically get 1 batch per month.

Drink this tonight:

I know right? Actually not too bad for a everyday beer.

@ Pacox - Had it a few weekends ago, was pleasantly surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    As a general note, guys, the whole... minute thing. It's named for the duration of the boil.

Now, I don't know enough into the biochemistry to understand, but I'm pretty sure longer != better in terms of benefits gained. From what I understand you may actually end up with more tannins from the original batch of malts (assuming you add more mid boil or something).
    Oh we're just intrigued. I have heard about the whole boiling thing, but how much can it change the longer/shorter? At what point do you get diminishing returns, etc? I can't wait to try 60, 75, and 90 Minute!

Firestone Abacus or Sucaba... barrel-aged barleywine. http://www.firestonebeer.com/beers/p...ba-spring-2012

I'm preferential to a Crown Lager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Lager
    Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ is not available in your region.
    Come and play SWTOR where you won't be disturbed by dirty foreigners - Bioware

Firestone's Double Jack on tap is incredible. Their taproom is great, too.
    My Short Required Reading List: One. Two. || Last.fm

ayinger - oktoberfest is a pretty darn good beer and while we're at it they have another called jahrhundert or something that also tastes delicious

It would really depend on the hop schedule. But, if you wanted to really add some hop flavor you would just get a hop rocket : http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...HopRocket.html

I made an American IPA using 8 additions of .5 oz. of Warrior. Had to chew that shit. Wasnt really a good beer, but it was fun to try.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh we're just intrigued. I have heard about the whole boiling thing, but how much can it change the longer/shorter? At what point do you get diminishing returns, etc? I can't wait to try 60, 75, and 90 Minute!
    Well the bare minimum boil time for your wort is 60 minutes. I personally haven't experimented for a longer boil, but from what I understand the longer you continue your boil, the more water evaporates, thus you basically get closer and closer to syrup - obviously not a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullcephus View Post
    It would really depend on the hop schedule. But, if you wanted to really add some hop flavor you would just get a hop rocket : http://www.blichmannengineering.com/...HopRocket.html

I made an American IPA using 8 additions of .5 oz. of Warrior. Had to chew that shit. Wasnt really a good beer, but it was fun to try.
    Sure. Hope scheduling definitely matters in the boil. But I wasn't really addressing that since it really has no impact on alcohol content; but rather aroma, bitterness in taste/mouthfeel, and even help some in head retention.

Depending on the alpha of the hop, the longer you boil it the more bitterness that you extract. The points where you gain no benefit vary from hop to hop. Hops added toward the end of the boil are called frangrance hops, or aroma hops, or tasting hops.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Firestone's Double Jack on tap is incredible. Their taproom is great, too.
    I've been wanting to have this, but it's been getting put off. I was at least lucky to have a free-try at a recent Binny's Beverage Depot in my area having a tasting with 14 different breweries. Now I'll be trying even harder to get a bomber or 4 pack of it.

Don't get me started on Firestone XV or XVI. Bloody damned INCREDIBLE beers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullcephus View Post
    Depending on the alpha of the hop, the longer you boil it the more bitterness that you extract. The points where you gain no benefit vary from hop to hop. Hops added toward the end of the boil are called frangrance hops, or aroma hops, or tasting hops.
    Yeah, generally bittering hops are added at 60 minutes (or whatever the beginning time of your boil), Aroma is sub 10 minutes, and flavor is sometime between 10-30 point.

Though you're right that higher alpha acid hops will take longer to extract for full flavor. That's why most people (for IPA's, IIPA's, Strongs, etc) will usually lead with something like Centennial at the beginning of the boil.

Well the bare minimum boil time for your wort is 60 minutes. I personally haven't experimented for a longer boil, but from what I understand the longer you continue your boil, the more water evaporates, thus you basically get closer and closer to syrup - obviously not a great thing.

Sure. Hope scheduling definitely matters in the boil. But I wasn't really addressing that since it really has no impact on alcohol content; but rather aroma, bitterness in taste/mouthfeel, and even help some in head retention.
    Yea, just got excited that I found someone on a gaming forum that knew what I was talking about.

Also, I generally formulate all of my recipes with a 90 minute boil. We've only done one 60/90 comparison, and that was with a Moose Drool clone (another FANTASTIC beer btw) and prefered the flavor of the 90, so we've just went with it. There's so much personal preference in brewing, such as to use or not to use a secondary, fermentation time, and other things. Thats what makes it fun and every beer unique.

Yeah, generally bittering hops are added at 60 minutes (or whatever the beginning time of your boil), Aroma is sub 10 minutes, and flavor is sometime between 10-30 point.

Though you're right that higher alpha acid hops will take longer to extract for full flavor. That's why most people (for IPA's, IIPA's, Strongs, etc) will usually lead with something like Centennial at the beginning of the boil.
    Man, hearing all this about actual brewing techniques and timings is making me more interested to learn more and try it for myself. >_<

Man, hearing all this about actual brewing techniques and timings is making me more interested to learn more and try it for myself. >_<
    Its a great hobby, and something you can share with your friends. I don't drink half of what I make, I enjoy seeing people's reaction when my homebrew makes them not want their bud light anymore.

www.homebrewtalk.com great resource if you want to look into getting into it.