10+ Year Old Account

Help my group's Shadow Priest against Elegon

My raid group has hit Elegon and stopped completely. I've been looking at logs, and there appears to be a lot of room for improvement.

Could some of you experienced Elegon-slaying raiders look at combat log 1 and combat log 2 and take a look at the priest's performance? I'm not qualified to tell him anything other than "go get some upgrades", but we need to see improvement or we're not going anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Right off the bat, Cascade instead of Halo, and Twist of Fate instead of Divine Insight. That will do WONDERS for their damage.
    @TwintopTahoe Twintop @ Illidan-US HowToPriest
    Simulate Your Character on Beotorch! https://www.beotorch.com/

2nd log, try 4:
    Mind Blasts: With a cooldown of 8 seconds that should be 72 casts yet he did less than 50 and that's excluding the 30 Divine Insight buffs he gained.
    Vampiric Touch: Uptime of 59%, should be as close to 100% as possible, though you can forgive 90% if you only Mind Spike on the small adds (which he didn't)

Looking at the rest of your raid though, it does look like everyone's DPS could be improved a lot (though I didn't look at gear)

Deleted
    Well, judging by your progress you're a pretty casual guild, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it also means we shouldn't go too hard on your shadow priest considering the level you're playing at, as well as the level the other players are at.

I didn't look at other people, nor gear. Nor did I look at the short fights, only the ones where you get near soft/hard enrage. On log #1 try #9 the SW:P is 73% and the VT uptime is 42%. Log #2 try #6 the SW:P uptime is higher, but VT is still only 47%. That's simply not acceptable. 79%/60% on log #2 parse #4. It is improving yes (which is nice ) so we see the player becoming better, but still a lot of room for improvement. I don't think your shadow priest is using a DoT tracker, or he/she isn't able to use it well. This can be easily fixed by using a DoT tracker and some practice on a dummy (try with multiple dummies as well). On #2/#4 try VE was used, #2/#6 it wasn't. It should be popped in the last phase, it will do insane healing. Your healers can call out when, or spriest can use on their own liberty.

Halo, go for Cascade instead. Halo's overhealing all time. DS can help healers in last phase, but this fight was like made for Cascade. Throw it on Elegon right when the flowing adds to pillar spawn. Also good on the adds coming from pillars, but may overagro (Fade helps w/that tho).

G91 landshark (40-54k) shouldn't be used. Use real pots instead and save landshark for LFR or something.

Amount of MBs with DI talent is low. Ditch DI for ToF as well. It is better on this fight because of the adds and insane execute phase and damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogarella View Post
    Vampiric Touch: Uptime of 59%, should be as close to 100% as possible, though you can forgive 90% if you only Mind Spike on the small adds (which he didn't)
    You can use fade proactive and multiDoT on them, or let tank pick them up and Mind Sear, or if there aren't many Mind Spike them. Since Elegon is immune after pillars down, you can't have the 100% VT there, but it depends on your tank and way you're dealing with the adds (and how well you did on the pillars).

Btw, anyone tried SW:I on Elegon?

10+ Year Old Account
    Since you are not a shadowpriest (I assume) to expand on what was said earlier, ToF (Twist of Fate) is a great choice for this fight. Once you damage something below 20% health there is a 15% dmg (or healing) gain for the next few moments. With so many adds in that fight, it is a huge boost to dps. So once your priest understands when to use this he or she can really bump their numbers. They can Shadow Word Death adds when the add is below 20% and receive the buff and then use it on the boss (macros work nicely on this).
    Cascade does not have range requirements that Halo has so the priest does not have to spend time positioning, and it just simply produces better numbers during Elegon. I am assuming this is normal Elegon so the priest should also utilize the dmg buff that occurs when standing on the platform to mind seer the hoard of adds once the tank has picked them up no matter the positioning.
    If the priest isn't potting he/she is doing it wrong.
    Their gear is fine (hit capped, reforged okay though not going to sim them to make sure). Shadow does amazing numbers this fight so I really think its roe talent/player needing changes. Good luck in your raids!

WoW since '06, Army wife since '09, U of MD Law

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymie View Post
    Since you are not a shadowpriest (I assume) to expand on what was said earlier, ToF (Twist of Fate) is a great choice for this fight. Once you damage something below 20% health there is a 15% dmg (or healing) gain for the next few moments. With so many adds in that fight, it is a huge boost to dps. So once your priest understands when to use this he or she can really bump their numbers. They can Shadow Word Death adds when the add is below 20% and receive the buff and then use it on the boss (macros work nicely on this).
    Cascade does not have range requirements that Halo has so the priest does not have to spend time positioning, and it just simply produces better numbers during Elegon. I am assuming this is normal Elegon so the priest should also utilize the dmg buff that occurs when standing on the platform to mind seer the hoard of adds once the tank has picked them up no matter the positioning.
    If the priest isn't potting he/she is doing it wrong.
    Their gear is fine (hit capped, reforged okay though not going to sim them to make sure). Shadow does amazing numbers this fight so I really think its roe talent/player needing changes. Good luck in your raids!
    Difficulty is indeed normal.

another thing about cascade: you can use it on every other draw power (cast on the boss) and it will hit every draw power orb for that wave. this can really help a lot to get that one extra set of orbs for that extra +10% buff that turns a <10% wipe into your kill. make sure he's spamming mindspike on his assigned add, and refreshing dots on elegon once his add dies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twintop View Post
    Right off the bat, Cascade instead of Halo, and Twist of Fate instead of Divine Insight. That will do WONDERS for their damage.
    cascade omfg

10+ Year Old Account
    He seems to be prioritizing Mind Flay over his DoTs and MB, he's not using his procs as they come up, the window for them is long enough where he shouldn't be wasting any. He's not sniping orbs off the adds with SW, more orbs=more dps. Andddddd the cascade/ToF that everyone else has suggested.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should basically respec every fight.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Just to reiterate what others have said, ToF! My last normal kill I had 68.4% uptime on ToF, that's a huge damage buff. And it's incredible in the final burn phase as you have it up pretty much all the time (proc off an add as you move in, then Elegon should hit 20% fairly soon after).

also, I'm not sure what he's doing with Halo as it's not showing up as any damage. If he wants to off-heal a bit cascade is better anyway, but it should be used for damage on Elegon as it's so good.

He gets a fairly mediocre VE off too - it should be held as long as possible then popped in the final phase (I use it unglyphed for lower overheal), VE is a massive cooldown here, you can more or less solo heal the raid for 15 seconds with it if Elegon is under 20% (assuming you're stacking draw power correctly).

Something else, given the low overall damage, how many draw power stacks are you getting?

Did a quick comparison here: http://www.raidbots.com/comparebot/5...500031a#damage (hope that link works). My rotation should be similar to his - I dot the adds and then flay them typically, rather than MS spamming (unless I have FDCL procs of course).

Obvious stuff: lack of MS, lack of SW:D, VT uptime is poor, MB not too bad a little low but combined with lack of SW:P means fewer DP casts which is hurting.

Melee 28,890 WTF?

10+ Year Old Account
    Elegon hits the floor. Shadow priest was #2 DPS with a whopping 35% increase in DPS from last week. Now, part of that is we actually reached the burn phase and killed an extra wave of adds, but we couldn't have done either if his damage wasn't better in general, including both use of ToF talent and significantly higher DoT uptime.

Thanks everyone for the help, at least ten people really appreciate it.