Frost 2H gemming for str viable?

Just was poking around my old guild and saw their DK who plays 2H frost. Hes close to ranking him self and was wondering wots the difference.

After quick pick saw that our difference was 3k Str and saw that he is gemming for str.

thats him
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Sockzor/simple

thats me
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Kirrito/simple

Deleted
    He´s unholy and gets a 15% strength bonus. He also has a bit higher ilvl...

Deleted
    But it´s the reason why he has 3k more strength. Other than that Strength gemming is viable and preferred in most situations.
    So just gem like this and be happy:

Red: Strength
    Yellow: strength/haste
    Blue: strength/hit

There's that word again.

Yes, gemming strength as 2h frost is viable. Bosses will not refuse to take any damage from you after noticing your gem choices.

In fact I would say that gemming strength as 2h frost is optimal for most encounters in this tier, partly because anti magic shell makes sure that you don't need the extra resources that haste would have given you, and partly because of the amount of aoe needed for many encounters in this tier.

Did a Haste vs STR sim a while back, translated into something like an extra 300 DPS on single target (values were 2.68 for STR and 1.7 for Haste). Honestly not worth it because of what Shiira is saying, as soon as you throw downtime and AMS soaking into the mix Haste gemming just doesn't feel as effective not to mention the damage you lose on cleaves.

Deleted
    Seriously, just gem STR, it's never devalued whereas haste loses value due to ams absorbs or movement mechanics. Both are competitive but as Kronik85 said the difference is like 300dps either way.

I'd like to add the fact that if you are going DW on Garalon(Like our main FDK does now), having all haste gems might turn out to be a DPS loss since you want mastery for that fight due to HB cleave.

Any time there is a fight that includes 2 or more targets, Mastery should win out. Also if you ever decide to go Unholy, no re-gemming needed as UH wants as much Strength as possible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    I'd like to add the fact that if you are going DW on Garalon(Like our main FDK does now), having all haste gems might turn out to be a DPS loss since you want mastery for that fight due to HB cleave.

Any time there is a fight that includes 2 or more targets, Mastery should win out. Also if you ever decide to go Unholy, no re-gemming needed as UH wants as much Strength as possible.
    The op was talking about 2h frost... In which case the difference between str gems or haste gems in negligible. As DW you want str gems with mastery ideally, as unholy str gems with haste ideally :-P

Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    The op was talking about 2h frost... In which case the difference between str gems or haste gems in negligible. As DW you want str gems with mastery ideally, as unholy str gems with haste ideally :-P
    2 Haste > 1 Strength only in Single target stand still, if there is movement, adds or possibility of AMS absorb, Strength is better.

Deleted
    I don't get it, are you disagreeing or something? I flat out said "gem str" further up the page -.- doesn't mean the difference isn't negligible.

Gemming for haste or strength really is personal preference when it comes to 2h frost, the difference would be like 400odd DPS either way depending on how much movement/downtime/ams absorbing there is during an encounter.

Tbh if you have a dk switching to DW for cleave encounters it begs the question why he doesn't just stay DW?