1. #1

    SLI 660 Vs Single 580

    Tittle says it all, I'm currently considering selling my GTX 580 in favor of two 660's in SLI but I'm not 100% sold on their performance. Is there anyone out there that can give me an opinion on whether they would live up to expectation or if not advice on other cards.

    [Currently the 580 is WC so i got it above normal clocks where the SLI 660's will be air cooled @ stock, maybe a bit higher]
    [Will also be running in 1920x1080]


    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,992
    SLI is not worth it honestly, your 580 can still run almost all the recent games on high+ settings, SLI comes with alot of potential problems that are not worth it IMO.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Maybe its just my fail optimization but in games like say Rift, WoW, Swtor, I can get 60 FPS but without bloom, shadows, etc etc and i am kind of getting sick of water cooling. Any ideas to boost my game performance because at the moment I'm at a loss as my 580 should be enough to run these games @ their maximum but falls short at doing so.

  5. #5
    id say get it, but only if its Asus directcoling gtx660 (the fan profiles are amazing and cooling performance) if not id say stick with what you got

  6. #6
    Legendary! Evil Inside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Down Under
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    Maybe its just my fail optimization but in games like say Rift, WoW, Swtor, I can get 60 FPS but without bloom, shadows, etc etc and i am kind of getting sick of water cooling. Any ideas to boost my game performance because at the moment I'm at a loss as my 580 should be enough to run these games @ their maximum but falls short at doing so.
    What's your cpu? MMOs depend alot on the cpu.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

    Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

  7. #7
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: P55A-UD3R
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8188MB RAM
    Page File: 2782MB used, 13590MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: P55A-UD3R
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8188MB RAM
    Page File: 2782MB used, 13590MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
    your CPU is the problem not your GPU. I have a I5 overclocked to 4.4GHZ and it runs wow at 100+ on a 560ti. I7 are not as good as i5s when it comes to pure gaming. And the clock speed on yours is way slower that usual gaming i5s. Keep your 580 and upgrade to a overclocked i5 and you will see a huge improvement in FPS in MMOs.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Why no OC on that? I mean 2.8 GHz isn't bad per say, but a lot of times nowadays people are getting 4 with very little effort on CPUs. And even going to like 3, 3.1 or so would probably be a big improvement.

    You have water cooling so could possibly already have it in the loop with the vid card (which admittedly adds a lot of heat to a loop... I know as I have a WC system myself) but I can't see why you couldn't get away with a small OC and it would probably help like I said.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kNite View Post
    your CPU is the problem not your GPU. I have a I5 overclocked to 4.4GHZ and it runs wow at 100+ on a 560ti. I7 are not as good as i5s when it comes to pure gaming. And the clock speed on yours is way slower that usual gaming i5s. Keep your 580 and upgrade to a overclocked i5 and you will see a huge improvement in FPS in MMOs.
    Agree with this advice - and you can even use the money you saved from buying two 660s for it! Double Win!

  11. #11
    The reason the clock is so low it because i was messing around with voltages/ocing before, a while ago actually lol and guess i forgot to bump it up again. Normally have it sitting @ 3.4. So i7 is inferior to i5 in terms of gaming? because i was eyeing off an Intel Core i7 3770K or would the Intel Core i5 3570K be better?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    The reason the clock is so low it because i was messing around with voltages/ocing before, a while ago actually lol and guess i forgot to bump it up again. Normally have it sitting @ 3.4. So i7 is inferior to i5 in terms of gaming? because i was eyeing off an Intel Core i7 3770K or would the Intel Core i5 3570K be better?
    The issue is there are very few games that use the four cores available in a i5 let alone the 8 available in a I7. Must games are single thread or dual thread atm. Therefore the last 4 cores available in i7 are useless for a gaming machine. Therefore a i5 and a i7 running at equal cloak speeds perform equally for gaming. But a i5 is much cheaper (around 30-40%) and in some situations perform better (around 2-5% max) because its does not have the overhead of the hyper-threading. Also they tend to overclock better, have lower heat output and voltage consumption. So for gaming a i5 is indeed much better than a i7.

  13. #13
    3570k and 3770k performs similar in most games. They are almost the same processor but the 3770k supports hyperthreading which means one core can process two threads at the same time. Its not a 8 core processor. It has four physical cores and 4 virtual from hyperthreading. 3770k is aimed at videoeditors that use programs that can use more than 4 cores. Games usually use one or two and in some rare cases 4.

    If I would buy a cpu today I would buy a AMD 8350. It performs like a 3570k but is cheaper and have 8 cores. Since the nextgen consoles will use 8 core processors the 8350 will be more future proof.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by kNite View Post
    your CPU is the problem not your GPU. I have a I5 overclocked to 4.4GHZ and it runs wow at 100+ on a 560ti.
    Not at ultra settings you aren't. At least, unless you spend the entire time staring at a cliff-side in the back end of the Badlands or Silithus.

    I7 are not as good as i5s when it comes to pure gaming. And the clock speed on yours is way slower that usual gaming i5s. Keep your 580 and upgrade to a overclocked i5 and you will see a huge improvement in FPS in MMOs.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with an i7 860. Stick that 3.4 Ghz OC back on it and you'll be just fine. I would wait for Haswell and the new GPU series (either AMD or nVidia) with that system (not least because you'll have to rip the water cooling apart and that is a pain in the backside) before. Not much point upgrading it tbh. At least, not for the money it would cost to upgrade it.
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2013-02-06 at 10:45 AM.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

    Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

  15. #15
    Mechagnome Stravs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Uk Cumbrian Lake District
    Posts
    728
    Well my old 460's could beat a 580 so no doubt a pair of 660's would do the same but not by much.....not enough to justify spending £370 on. Better to wait and see what the 700 series will be like. And for the record I recently upgraded from 460's SLI to a single 670 and I still didn't see any real upgrade....only a little less noise and heat.
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz-Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 8gb Corsair XMS-3
    EVGA GTX 670 4tw 4gb
    CreativeX-Fi Titanium Pro paired with (Corsair SP2500)
    Corsair HX850
    250gb Samsung 840 ssd
    Silverstone Raven 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •