Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    btw. Projected textures in WoW is the setting for seeing spell effects. If it's off you might not be able to see all fires you're standing in because those simply aren't rendered on screen at all.
    It isn't Particle Density? I have projected textures off and don't have any trouble seeing spell effects, fire, poison, or any other kind of death on the floor. My Particle Density is set to high.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    It isn't Particle Density? I have projected textures off and don't have any trouble seeing spell effects, fire, poison, or any other kind of death on the floor. My Particle Density is set to high.
    Both. Projected textures are for seeing the targeting circles of various spells, while particle density sets the amount of fire/smoke/etc drawn on screen. If you have high particle density you can still see the cloud but not the circle, with projecte textures on and low particle density you see the circle but not the cloud. Projected textures is, or at least was much easier for low spec machines than high setting on particle density.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Both. Projected textures are for seeing the targeting circles of various spells, while particle density sets the amount of fire/smoke/etc drawn on screen. If you have high particle density you can still see the cloud but not the circle, with projecte textures on and low particle density you see the circle but not the cloud. Projected textures is, or at least was much easier for low spec machines than high setting on particle density.
    Well you'd never know that by the way they describe it: "Enables the projecting of textures to the environment. Disabling may greatly improve performance." I thought it had to do with the textures of walls and trees and stuff so I just always kept it off because I didn't see any kind of difference when I turned it on.

vs. Particle Density: "Controls the number of particles in effects caused by spells, fires, etc. Decrease to improve performance."

So I got the idea that it was better to have higher Particle Density and turn off projected textures, since PD kind of deals with performance, but disabling PT "GREATLY improves" performance.

I'm going to turn on Projected Textures and see how much it actually screws with my performance. Chances are it will mangle it courtesy of my core 2 duo macbook with integrated graphics, but what the hell, can't be any worse

Could be they have changed what projected textures do or dont, but it was for the targeting circles in earlier expansions.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Nah, Projected Textures allows you to see the fire on the floor that is killing you and the summoning reticles that indicate that you will soon be killed by fire. Particle Density makes the fire that is killing you look prettier

Deleted
    Again thanks for all the replies guys.

I'll probably end up going for the MSI 7950 (boost). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127667
    Future proof, and my system will be able to handle it for the better part. (i3 might throttle it a bit I guess, but I can always upgrade the cpu in the future)

I've also been looking into this PSU: Antec HCG-520. Specs: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Antec/HCG-520/2.html

My last question is about if that power supply will power the system perfectly. I noticed the graphics card needs two 6pin PCI-E power cables to be plugged in. However, the power supply states that it only has one 6+2 pin PCI-e connector. On the images it shows a molex-to-sixpin pci-e adapter which should be included in the box.

Will the one PCI-E cable coming out of the PSU, combined with one molex cable with the previously mentioned adapter on it be sufficient to power the graphics card?

Side note: Is Antec a decent brand? This one was used in a similar system to mine, posted in a guide on one of the bigger dutch tech websites.

It says :
    6+2 pin PCIe (530 mm) x2

The PSU is equipped with two 6+2 pin PCIe connectors, an acceptable number for its capacity.
    In that review.

Yes the HCG model is a decent PSU.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    It says :
    In that review.
    Yes the HCG model is a decent PSU.
    Looking back on it, I'm not sure where I got the idea from that it only has 1x pci-e connector :-/ I must be looking at too many components at the same time. >.>
    Thanks for your reply n0cturnal. I guess all my questions have been answered.

It will be an MSI 7950 with the Antec HCG 520w.

Thanks, everyone!

Edit.

Actually, one last question. The PSU says it's EPS12v. Will that work on my micro atx board? Or do I need one with atx12v? (B75 Pro3-M)
    Last edited by mmoce04b469aa5; 2013-02-01 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    Looking back on it, I'm not sure where I got the idea from that it only has 1x pci-e connector :-/ I must be looking at too many components at the same time. >.>
    Thanks for your reply n0cturnal. I guess all my questions have been answered.

It will be an MSI 7950 with the Antec HCG 520w.

Thanks, everyone!

Edit.

Actually, one last question. The PSU says it's EPS12v. Will that work on my micro atx board? Or do I need one with atx12v? (B75 Pro3-M)
    EPS12v is the 4+4 connector to the motherboard. That is exactly what you need.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Bit of a necro, but I'd like to just add a little information for future reference. I've ended up buying the Gigabyte Radeon 7950 Windforce 3, combined with the Antec HCG 520 PSU.

One thing I'd like to add, for anyone finding this and being in a similar situation: The one thing nobody mentioned in this thread is the actual physical size of the graphics card. It's nearly twice as long as my old graphics card (asus 6670) so I've had to make some room in my case for it. It's in the way for one of the HDD bays.

Wasn't a problem for me, as I just fit one of two normal hdd's in the bottom bay, and I fit my SSD disk in one of the dvd-drive bays. Might be a point of interest for people in similar situations, however. So my tip: Watch the actual physical size, and measure if it fits in your case combined with hdd's etc!