Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    In relation to this thread I once again ask you to show me where anyone is white knighting or turning on people who are pointing out the flaw.
    He isn't gonna do that, it's counter productive to his repetitive argument that relies on ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Some peoples little worlds would collapse if they had to admit the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Unfortunately today's "gamers" are nothing to what proper MMO gamers were "back in the day", yes i'm that old

This goal to get to see virtual, different looking pixels first before anyone else would have Sigmund Freud writing thesis after thesis on the psychology of what drives these people, but from the past ten years on, nearly all MMO's have suffered kool kids trying to find any possible exploit or "clever use of game mechanics"

Even the big elephant in the room, WoW wasn't immune, a whole Guild got banned for exploiting C'thun by using an exploit to make the floors above his chamber bug out and they could drop right down to boss and ignore nearly all the trash/other bosses right up to when a lot of the top Guilds got a week's ban from exploiting loot drops in the LFR system.

We'll just have to wait and see what Trion does, a week's ban, lifetime ban? who knows or who will care is probably the best question

You mean gamers like the ones exploiting the walls in WoW vanilla to get world firsts?

Gamers always tried to exploit any game with a sort of achihevemtn to do it first, since they were created.

Its not about today's gamers, its a problem of top competitive gamers. They dont care how, they just want to win the competition.

It also doesnt happen in games only. Sports is a greate xample, with people trying to break the rules for an advantage in every single discipline out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Its not about today's gamers, its a problem of top competitive gamers. They dont care how, they just want to win the competition.
    What competition? It's only in MMOs where, for some bizarre reason, people think killing a boss first is some big deal. You don't see CoD forums filled with people claiming to be world first to beat the game. When a new Mario game comes out, you don't see people rushing to be the first to beat the first boss. Even with WoW, no one really care who beats a boss first except for a small group of the player base. Johnny Average Player isn't going to care who beat the new raid boss first.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, will someone explain this to me.

Say I got my guild to come from wow and raid here. We go along clearing bosses and try to have a pet tank one of the bosses. Since our goal is to make the fight as easy as possible.

How would we know we are exploiting. What are we exploiting? If you say it's because I'm making the fight easier well isn't that the goal?

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    What's considered an exploit in one game might not be considered an exploit in another. Trion considers pet tanking Regulos an exploit. That doesn't mean that using a pet to tank a raid boss in WoW would necessarily be considered an exploit. Like I keep saying the term exploit is relative and not some set standard objective term like some people in this thread are claiming.
    I understand trion might not want this to happen, but again they should make it not able to happen. Removing pets from boss mobs threat table would be the easiest fix. I don't care if trion flat out called it a hacking cheat. It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    In relation to this thread I once again ask you to show me where anyone is white knighting or turning on people who are pointing out the flaw.
    That's naming and shaming, which is against forum rules, so I doubt it will happen. He's correct though, if you look at any game there are fans that will defend "their game" and the developers no matter what. It's an issue but sadly I doubt much will be done to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    That's naming and shaming, which is against forum rules, so I doubt it will happen. He's correct though, if you look at any game there are fans that will defend "their game" and the developers no matter what. It's an issue but sadly I doubt much will be done to address it.
    It is true, but even staunch defenders of Trion in this particular thread are admitting and saying Trion made an oversight. That's not the argument at hand. The argument at hand is whether or not knowingly abusing that oversight is cheating, which Trion has said it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 02:36 PM ----------

And most people who are arguing how stupid calling using a pet an exploit would agree with you on that. I agree with that. Using a pet is not equal to bugging a boss out to literally not do anything.

As an aside...it's really funny how many people from the Rift boards needed to create accounts here just to continue blasting this point from either side.
    Not sure why it's funny when members of this community posted on the Rift forums asking people to join and participate in this thread.

So I guess I can ask again..

Rift has been out long enough, now. Why are pets even able to taunt bosses? Surely there have been bosses previous to this one where Pet Tanking would be an easy way to finish a boss? Did Trion leave Pet Tanking bosses in the game after those particular instances?

The pet tanking thing seems like clever use of game mechanics. But i dont play rift so IDK.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AddictVioarr View Post
    Not sure why it's funny when members of this community posted on the Rift forums asking people to join and participate in this thread.
    That is exactly why.

Rally to me children! Protect my opinion so we may win it to be true and just and right! Regardless of what opinion you hold. It's like some odd internet battle spilling into foreign lands. I like debating as much as the next person on here, but to think of using my rally (Rift humor, lol) to call my mates to the battle...it's quite humorous to me.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2013-02-01 at 08:56 PM.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Shaley View Post

Rift has been out long enough, now. Why are pets even able to taunt bosses? Surely there have been bosses previous to this one where Pet Tanking would be an easy way to finish a boss? Did Trion leave Pet Tanking bosses in the game after those particular instances?
    I do not believe this has happened in Rift before due to all bosses also dealing ST damage as well as an AoE and it is only AoE damage that pets take little/no damage from. I could be wrong as I was late to the Rift party, but either way, it happened. It was a mistake on Trions part and NQ abused that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaley View Post

Honestly, I don't see why that's possible, it shouldn't be the case. There are too many potential issues (like the ones being discussed in this thread) that arise when you allow pets to tank bosses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Yes but why were pets given those abilities? Was it to make them viable in raids, or to tank raid bosses? If you like the above poster cannot use a little common sense and see that this use of pets was clearly unintended, then again I suspect you're just here to provoke people.

Except that doing so gave no personal gain in your example. NQ on the other hand have used this loophole to beat a boss they otherwise couldn't have beaten, and earn loot/titles/whatever they otherwise would not have gotten. They've then gone on to use this loophole to take the server first achievements on a number of other servers, taking even more that again they are not entitled to and depriving others.

Time to accept that what NQ did was wrong, people.
    Actually, not losing raid members on the tight enrage V&T had WAS a huge advantage. Bring 2-3 priests and you instantly gain that much more in saved lives.

But to put it more simply for you, Majordomo Staghelm was once tankable by pets. It mitigated huge, unruly amounts of AoE damage and made the fight much easier.

Blizzard, using reasonable judgement, recognized that the pets were designed that way, so it wasn't an exploit, but they didn't intend for that to be possible. So they FIXED it.

Common sense and a decent moral compass is enough to see what they did was in the parameters of acceptable play, whether Tirion intended it or not. Instead of crucifying this guild, the whiners here need to just accept that Tirion made a mistake.

Now, as for their other "exploits?" Well, those seem like clear violations because it couldn't be done with NORMAL play. Using a pet is normal play, blame Tirion for allowing it to happen the same way blizzard is at fault for Majordomo.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

That is exactly why.

Rally to me children! Protect my opinion so we may win it to be true and just and right! Regardless of what opinion you hold. It's like some odd internet battle spilling into foreign lands. I like debating as much as the next person on here, but to think of using my rally (Rift humor, lol) to call my mates to the battle...it's quite humorous to me.
    This is predominantly a WoW forum, why is it funny to ask people that actually play Rift to come post to counteract the wealth of people noting that they don't even play Rift? You imply that the hypothetical opinion is incorrect and requires support from people that you seem to believe are not welcome here. I would argue that some people are afraid of another perspective penetrating their bubble. The hostility toward people some view as invaders and treat like they somehow do not belong on a MMO forum for a game they play is not something I find "funny." If you want to be a part of a community that is exclusive then perhaps you should create one that is private. You haven't even been a member of this community for a year, who are you to talk down to people for being new here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I don't see why that's possible, it shouldn't be the case. There are too many potential issues (like the ones being discussed in this thread) that arise when you allow pets to tank bosses.
    I would think so as well. If the are so against having pets tank bosses that they want to label it an exploit, then they shouldn't have it be possible at all.

Other games would never have a boss do pure AOE's b/c their pets are similarly resilient. In fact, you can use the hunter/ranger to heal whatever modicum of damage they do take, effectively freeing a tank healer for a dps and the tank for a dps. I don't see this issue in any other games.

The fact that there are numerous ways to fix the issue and none of them were done is pretty lame. I love Trion and their development, but they are clearly the ones at fault for this boss and if that guild hadn't exploited anything else I would have had a very different view of the company as a whole.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    Instead of crucifying this guild, the whiners here need to just accept that Tirion made a mistake.
    I may get in trouble for this, but I ask again, who is not accepting Trion made a mistake. They did. They clearly did and have basically admitted as much. The thing is, when someone makes a mistake, someone else taking advantage of it is plain wrong.

I do not see any of the people saying the guild should be punished, with varying degrees of punishment ranging from perma-bans to simply taking away rewards achieved in this manner, saying Trion did not make a mistake. Just people saying that while Trion did in fact make a mistake, NQ took advantage of the mistake in an inappropriate way.

10+ Year Old Account
    You imply that the hypothetical opinion is incorrect and requires support from people that you seem to believe are not welcome here.
    Ah, do I really? Let me welcome you to MMO champion. I'll respond by repeating myself, since you so casually overlooked it. By simple mistake I am assuming.
    Regardless of what opinion you hold.
    Oh there we go. So please tell me how saying that any viewpoint bringing a virtual posse into another forum to 'get their back' is silly, is actually only saying that you and the others with your view are silly? Forgive me, it seems that you are completely wrong.

You haven't even been a member of this community for a year, who are you to talk down to people for being new here.
    Have I bitten my thumb at you sir? I don't recall whenceforth said thumb was placed upon mine teeth, and pressed with the most outright of harsh direction.

I can only assume by you trying to twist my words and claim I am insulting you, when no insult was present, that you have been brought here by very specific people. Thank you for the advance warning so I can take appropriate action and prevent any discord. Our brief relationship has been...well...forgettable. I believe it's the best for all involved.
    BAD WOLF

Reminder to everyone in this thread that different opinions are fine, so let's be respectful of everyone else.

Reminder to everyone in this thread that different opinions are fine, so let's be respectful of everyone else.
    Dunno why you don't lock this thread tbh, it pretty much consists of two groups: those that think NQ deserve a ban for their behavior and those that think it's Trions fault and are accusing the former of white knighting for Trion, despite no evidence what so ever. I could measure the usefulness and respect of this thread in a thimble.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Dunno why you don't lock this thread tbh, it pretty much consists of two groups: those that think NQ deserve a ban for their behavior and those that think it's Trions fault and are accusing the former of white knighting for Trion, despite no evidence what so ever. I could measure the usefulness and respect of this thread in a thimble.

I'm not sure why it wasn't locked from the first post as it is pretty much a naming and shaming post
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2013-02-01 at 10:29 PM.