View Poll Results: Is this class a good idea or bad idea?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea, significantly different than Hunters

    80 51.95%
  • Bad Idea, still too much like Hunters

    74 48.05%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61
    Stood in the Fire Kreghar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    GYN Rock City
    Posts
    441
    ro9ue, I think I just shed a tear. Oh ma gawd.

    I can't imagine how nobody thought of that. The ranger class is represented by the Windrunners, and having each spec being one of the gems (for each sister) would be just perfect!

    Beautiful man, that's the sh1t!

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonridor View Post
    ro9ue, I think I just shed a tear. Oh ma gawd.

    I can't imagine how nobody thought of that. The ranger class is represented by the Windrunners, and having each spec being one of the gems (for each sister) would be just perfect!

    Beautiful man, that's the sh1t!
    Haha thanks.

    Inb4... "Emerald, sapphire, ruby rangers? Go go power rangers!"


  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I apologize for the Necro, but didn't feel like making a new thread since this is already covered a lot here.

    I think if Alleria is thrown back into the storyline, we may very well see a Ranger. Here are a few reasons:

    1. Alleria had a 3-gem necklace. A sapphire, an emerald and a ruby. Each of the Windrunner sisters, who happen to be Rangers, have a gem. Alleria has emerald, Veressa has the ruby and Sylvanas the Sapphire. What I find interesting is that these 3 gems almost perfectly represent the 3 different specs of a Ranger that I would expect them to teach. So just for fun's sake, imagine Ranger is the new class. If you start a Ranger on the horde you talk to Sylvanas, if you're Alliance, you talk to Veressa. They both received a message from Alleria's message bird... Fennath? I forget it's name, but she's depicted in Stormwind with a statue and has her bird on her arm. They both think it's some sort of trap or deception, so they ask you, one of their trusted Rangers to join them in seeking her out. When you arrive in the woods wherever it may be, it becomes a sanctuary. Alleria mediates between the alliance and horde forces and reminds the sisters of their strong bond. The 3 sisters feel their alliegance is to each other above both the alliance and the horde. This would set up a sort of DK Archerus/ Monk temple feel for the Ranger starting area.

    So on those 3 specs:

    Veressa (Ruby) - Red rage, her husband was just killed in Theramore. I see her being the Warden, using Spirit of Vengeance and heavy melee attacks. Maybe this can be the glaive wielding class we all want so much?

    Sylvanas (Sapphire) - Cold death. I see her using frost arrows and the Dark Ranger arsenal from WC3. Much of how Teriz has outlined in the OP, I especially like bringing in the necromancer touch that everyone wants.

    Alleria (Emerald) - A classic archer. Green, wise, ancient. I see her using some druidly Huntress of the Moon stuff. Owl scout, etc. Maybe she can even be the true Demon Hunter everyone wants? She was, in fact, lost in the twisting nether battling demons. Maybe she went the way of Illidan and now is infused with fel energy? That emerald would represent the glowing green Fel power she now has. That could be interesting.

    2. Another point... I find it curious Blizzard adds an option to warlocks to go petless, but not Hunters. I know their reasoning was simply "hunters pets are their friends, you wouldn't sacrifice them." Obviously they aren't going to kill their wolf and like infuse it's essence into them, but is it so outlandish to maybe have a hunter who hunts petless? I really don't think so. It sounds like maybe they wanted to distinguish the Hunter from a class they were already thinking about, the Ranger.

    3. It would definitely help with the loot system. More people making use of bows, guns and crossbows, and most likely using up some Agility or Intellect Mail.
    Better than teriz's lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

  4. #64
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,146
    I like this idea, mostly. And I have been thinking the game needs another ranged class of one kind or another too.

    The only real problem I have is that hunters do use magic. The whole survival spec is magical. Dark arrow from your description is the same exact thing as black arrow for survival.

    That being said, it would be really fun to play this class. They would have to revamp hunter's survival spec though or else it would be redundant. Yet survival does need to be changed as the whole idea of that spec, as it stands, doesn't make any sense on a hunter, and it barely plays any differently than marksmanship. I can even have identical setups for marks and surv with just a couple macro changes without anything being super different (ie. do I want burst or dot damage today?).

    So there is hope for your idea yet.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    The only real problem I have is that hunters do use magic. The whole survival spec is magical. Dark arrow from your description is the same exact thing as black arrow for survival.]
    I honestly think if you remove 'Black Arrow' from Survival, you've just about done away with the magic. You can easily look at Serpent Sting and Wyvern Sting as the hunter dipping his arrows into venoms. Maybe change the graphic for binding shot to throw down a rope or web. Explosive shot to me was more of an Engineering thing, like an explosive tip. It would definitely take some finessing, but not much.

  6. #66
    High Overlord Micromadsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Telomerase View Post
    The only real problem I have is that hunters do use magic. The whole survival spec is magical. Dark arrow from your description is the same exact thing as black arrow for survival.
    May I just remind you that blizz has already said that the hunter needs to be reworked and refined so that each spec doesn't feel like the same. This could easily be fix'd this way.
    And just in my eyes it seems weird for the hunter to use magic when they don't even have mana anymore. Or am I the only one? And shouldn't the survival spec be all about the stealthy camouflaged killer rather than magic?

    Well at any rate this idea certainly sounds better than a tinker or demon hunter, and makes more sense to be honest. I'm glad that it's not just a hunter without a pet. Personally I'd love to play a range class I just don't like being limited to range only or melee only. And before anyone says the play a druid or a shaman, I did... Played both for years and I'm kinda tired of them.
    But I'd play this if it was/is the new class. Would tie in well with the return of Alleria just as ro9ue said. (Nicely done btw ro9ue)
    Last edited by Micromadsen; 2013-10-29 at 10:20 PM.

  7. #67
    yea, idd some non-Hunter ranged dps would be awesome!


    I would make specs:
    Scout - ranged rogue. with stealth, sprint good in dmg dealing but with shit defence
    Archer/Santiel/Headhunter - Hunter w/o a pet. so some range/melee hybrid
    Brigadier - guy with gun with caster mechanics so with a lot of aoe(artillery, nades and mortar!) and DoT(flamethrower), and pushing enemies back(shotgun)


    and if its ranger it should be more races imo. I agree with more unique classes but Ranger is something as common as Warrior :P every race have their own Rangers so ranger class should be avi for all races imo

  8. #68
    High Overlord Micromadsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    145
    I would like to add though. Change the sentinel to wear agi mail instead, and the warden to use int mail. And make wardens use spell swords or daggers and an offhand item instead of the usual dual wielding. The warden should still be a melee class just with 1, one handed weapon and an offhand frill. Then I honestly think the class would be perfect.

    My reasoning behind this is that basically as many have requested a battlemage, and the warden could fit nicely into this description. And using a spell weapon with an offhand instead of dual wield, while still being a melee spec would be something new and more interesting than plain old boring dual wield.
    Last edited by Micromadsen; 2013-10-30 at 01:36 PM.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Micromadsen View Post
    May I just remind you that blizz has already said that the hunter needs to be reworked and refined so that each spec doesn't feel like the same. This could easily be fix'd this way.
    And just in my eyes it seems weird for the hunter to use magic when they don't even have mana anymore. Or am I the only one? And shouldn't the survival spec be all about the stealthy camouflaged killer rather than magic?
    Agreed 100%

    Quote Originally Posted by Micromadsen View Post
    Well at any rate this idea certainly sounds better than a tinker or demon hunter, and makes more sense to be honest. I'm glad that it's not just a hunter without a pet. Personally I'd love to play a range class I just don't like being limited to range only or melee only. And before anyone says the play a druid or a shaman, I did... Played both for years and I'm kinda tired of them.
    But I'd play this if it was/is the new class. Would tie in well with the return of Alleria just as ro9ue said. (Nicely done btw ro9ue)
    Thanks. I also would love to play a pet-less ranged physical class. I think we will eventually see a Tinker or possibly a Ranger, so I'm looking forward to either of those.


    Quote Originally Posted by Micromadsen View Post
    I would like to add though. Change the sentinel to wear agi mail instead, and the warden to use int mail. And make wardens use spell swords or daggers and an offhand item instead of the usual dual wielding. The warden should still be a melee class just with 1, one handed weapon and an offhand frill. Then I honestly think the class would be perfect.

    My reasoning behind this is that basically as many have requested a battlemage, and the warden could fit nicely into this description. And using a spell weapon with an offhand instead of dual wield, while still being a melee spec would be something new and more interesting than plain old boring dual wield.
    Yeah I think a battlemage type would be cool. I think if they decide to do a Demon Hunter through a ranger, giving them an option to wear intellect mail and run a offhand would be very cool. With the option to switch out to DW weapons and agility mail for a classic DH.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I apologize for the Necro, but didn't feel like making a new thread since this is already covered a lot here.

    I think if Alleria is thrown back into the storyline, we may very well see a Ranger. Here are a few reasons:

    1. Alleria had a 3-gem necklace. A sapphire, an emerald and a ruby. Each of the Windrunner sisters, who happen to be Rangers, have a gem. Alleria has emerald, Veressa has the ruby and Sylvanas the Sapphire. What I find interesting is that these 3 gems almost perfectly represent the 3 different specs of a Ranger that I would expect them to teach. So just for fun's sake, imagine Ranger is the new class. If you start a Ranger on the horde you talk to Sylvanas, if you're Alliance, you talk to Veressa. They both received a message from Alleria's message bird... Fennath? I forget it's name, but she's depicted in Stormwind with a statue and has her bird on her arm. They both think it's some sort of trap or deception, so they ask you, one of their trusted Rangers to join them in seeking her out. When you arrive in the woods wherever it may be, it becomes a sanctuary. Alleria mediates between the alliance and horde forces and reminds the sisters of their strong bond. The 3 sisters feel their alliegance is to each other above both the alliance and the horde. This would set up a sort of DK Archerus/ Monk temple feel for the Ranger starting area.

    So on those 3 specs:

    Veressa (Ruby) - Red rage, her husband was just killed in Theramore. I see her being the Warden, using Spirit of Vengeance and heavy melee attacks. Maybe this can be the glaive wielding class we all want so much?

    Sylvanas (Sapphire) - Cold death. I see her using frost arrows and the Dark Ranger arsenal from WC3. Much of how Teriz has outlined in the OP, I especially like bringing in the necromancer touch that everyone wants.

    Alleria (Emerald) - A classic archer. Green, wise, ancient. I see her using some druidly Huntress of the Moon stuff. Owl scout, etc. Maybe she can even be the true Demon Hunter everyone wants? She was, in fact, lost in the twisting nether battling demons. Maybe she went the way of Illidan and now is infused with fel energy? That emerald would represent the glowing green Fel power she now has. That could be interesting.

    2. Another point... I find it curious Blizzard adds an option to warlocks to go petless, but not Hunters. I know their reasoning was simply "hunters pets are their friends, you wouldn't sacrifice them." Obviously they aren't going to kill their wolf and like infuse it's essence into them, but is it so outlandish to maybe have a hunter who hunts petless? I really don't think so. It sounds like maybe they wanted to distinguish the Hunter from a class they were already thinking about, the Ranger.

    3. It would definitely help with the loot system. More people making use of bows, guns and crossbows, and most likely using up some Agility or Intellect Mail.
    Amazing post, thank you very much. One can dream!! Although perhaps we will see these specs back as a subspec of current classes.
    "When i am done with you, you won't trust your own mind."

  11. #71
    Want.
    -------

  12. #72
    This is one of the few class ideas that is well thought out - I like it.

    I would change it slightly - give it also to humans. If the undead could be it, it means that humans also have the capacity for it. Their ability with shadow magic is demonstrated with priests and warlocks. Also, give it to trolls (shadow hunters?) so there's more variety.

    Secondly, I always liked the idea of using bombs/grenades and bolas from D3 - maybe give those kinds of abilities to the Warden. Something to help her stand out more than just a melee hunter - something to help her retain SOME range.

  13. #73
    impressive writeup

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •