1. #1

    Mac finally died! Looking for input on new PC.

    So my 4 year old Mac desktop finally died on me and its time for something new. Friends from work all play PC so I figure I will go that route. I've owned macs my entire life so I'm not very knowledgable about building PCs. I might end up building it myself but I could also end up having it professionally done.

    What I'm looking for:

    -Budget: $1200-1400 (includes peripherals and OS).
    -Resolution: 1920x1080
    -Games / Settings Desired: WoW, LoL, D3, Borderlands 2, SC2 all at near-max/max settings.
    -Don't do anything but gaming, frapsing and streaming media.
    -I do need an OS.
    -I need all peripherals (mouse, keyboard, monitor and headset).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
    Last edited by Flaring; 2013-01-31 at 02:27 AM.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Belize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Standing in the Fire, as always.
    Posts
    3,897
    If you want it professionally done check this site out: http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html

    It could also give you ideas about price ranges,

  3. #3
    How serious are you about streaming? Would you be willing to pay $100 extra for a CPU that would give you a small benefit while streaming but not otherwise for gaming?

    What is the budget for peripherals?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  4. #4
    Belize: I'll check them out thanks!

    Noct: I love being able to stream/fraps (especially in WoW/LoL/BL2) while still having great fps so definitely yes. 1200-1400 is a good budget for the PC and peripherals combined I think. Maybe $1500 if its really worth it.

  5. #5
    I'm in the same boat, but my imac is still running strong. I've been lurking here for a few weeks and considering building a PC versus picking up one of the newer imacs. Curious to see what everyone has to say...Similar budget as OP and similar demands on gaming outside of streaming/fraps.

  6. #6
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,317
    A few notes here.
    -Case can be whatever. I just picked that because I personally like it, and you can get others around that price.
    -I picked the 620 over the 520 PSU because the 620 is on sale for the same price. You don't need over 520, normally.
    -Normally dont recommend 16gb ram, but it's only $20 more in this case, and depending on how much streaming you do, it might help. But probably not. Knock down to 8 if you wanna save $20
    -The LCD is what I use. I like them, but they arent necessary. Price range is about what you'll spend though, so at least that shows you what kind of money you'll do.

    This leaves you with $100 for keyboard/mouse/headset/whatever. With that price range, I dont think you can afford the i7, however I also dont think it is worth it, if you just do streaming for fun, and not professional streams in which income is involved.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.21 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" Monitor ($187.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Total: $1298.03
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 22:06 EST-0500)

  7. #7
    The Patient jholdaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.21 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.98 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" Monitor ($187.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Total: $1298.03
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 22:06 EST-0500)
    Is there a reason you have 2 HHD and a SSD listed? Just wondering

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 07:36 PM ----------

    This build may look more expensive but the mouse and keyboard is included.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.21 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($273.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
    Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M90 Wired Laser Mouse ($57.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Total: $1388.29
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-30 22:31 EST-0500)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    Is there a reason you have 2 HHD and a SSD listed? Just wondering
    I would assume to put the OS and games on it for faster load times, while most other programs would be fine on a normal HDD.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

  9. #9
    The Patient jholdaway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    I would assume to put the OS and games on it for faster load times, while most other programs would be fine on a normal HDD.
    No he has 2 different HHD's and a SSD.

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    No he has 2 different HHD's and a SSD.
    And? SSD=OS/Games. 500GB HDD=Programs 1TB HDD=Media. It's a fairly common setup. In fact, I'm using a similar setup right now, just 2 1TB instead of a .5 and a 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

  12. #12
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,317
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    Is there a reason you have 2 HHD and a SSD listed? Just wondering
    Naw, that's just pcpartpicker being derpy and me clicking too fast. Should be just the 1tb blue, and ssd.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AA1k

    I really have no reason to recommend a more expensive 650w over the 520. There is no real purpose for the extra cost. Also, the 7950 would probably be a better choice than the 660ti. Same price, better performance.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Naw, that's just pcpartpicker being derpy and me clicking too fast. Should be just the 1tb blue, and ssd.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AA1k

    I really have no reason to recommend a more expensive 650w over the 520. There is no real purpose for the extra cost. Also, the 7950 would probably be a better choice than the 660ti. Same price, better performance.
    Liking this build and price quite a bit. Pcparts noted something about motherboard/case USB 3.0 problems?

    I'll make the 2 hour drive to Microcenter tommorow for some of their good sale parts.

    Really appreciate all the help. Cheers!

  14. #14
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,317
    Pcparts noted something about motherboard/case USB 3.0 problems
    Again, that's just the case I picked, and have. You can get whatever case you want. The "USB3" thing is just noting that it only supports USB 2.0 up front. Nobody has anything that really utilizes USB 3.0 that you'd plug in front so it's no big deal (if you plug a USB3.0 cable into it, it'll still run at normal USB 2.0 speeds). There are still 2-4 USB 3.0 ports in back, should you actually have a USB 3.0 external drive hanging around. They're still somewhat rare.

  15. #15
    Since you are a former MAC user I would suggest that you take a look at Fractal Design Define R4.

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HD3EA0/?tag=pcpapi-20
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...-_Arctic_White

    It has a white clean design and also some pretty good noise dampening features.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  16. #16
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hotlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    If you want it professionally done check this site out: http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html

    It could also give you ideas about price ranges,
    The prices on that site are absurdly high. You can get a superior system from Cyberpowerpc for far less, and they have a much better variety of options.

    EDIT: I just built a system with a 3570k (including 20% OC and cooling system) and GTX 650 ti for $830, gaming mouse, gaming keyboard, and shipping included on the cyberpowerpc website. This guy from xoticpc.com wants $875 for a system that had an fx-4100 and hd7750...Don't buy anything from him.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2013-01-31 at 02:41 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •