Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

Man arrested for racial abuse of Chelsea striker Demba Ba

A MAN has been arrested over the alleged racially abuse of former Newcastle striker Demba Ba on Facebook.

Senegalese star Ba, who joined Chelsea this month, was subjected to abuse about his religion.

The post was made on a football forum on the social networking site, called 'North East Banter Page For The Top Three Big Clubs' and it is understood the comment, which included swear words allegedly aimed at Ba, a devout Muslim, has since been removed.

A 39-year-old man from Gateshead has been arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated harassment and has been bailed pending further enquiries.

Anti-racism campaigners have condemned the comment, which was posted after it was confirmed Ba was leaving Newcastle United.

Paul Kearns, deputy chief executive of Show Racism the Red Card, said it was completely unacceptable.

He said: "Social networking sites have seen a proliferation of racist comments over the last year or two, with both Shola Ameobi and Fraizer Campbell receiving appalling abuse on Twitter recently.

"Police action was taken in both of those cases and we hope it will be taken seriously this time in order to stamp out this discrimination."

Ba is expected to return to St James' Park this weekend with his Chelsea team mates when the two sides face each other for the first time since he switched sides.
    Soccernet Source
    Independent Source

Perhaps the most concerning thing on all of this is that the comments made are to my knowledge, unknown. Was he just insulting Demba Ba? Was it to do with his religion?

This seems just to extreme, I can see having the post removed and maybe even banning the account in quest but arresting someone about a Facebook post just seems extreme.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    This seems just to extreme, I can see having the post removed and maybe even banning the account in quest but arresting someone about a Facebook post just seems extreme.
    It is outright disturbing. Who knows how tame the comment even was?

How is a facebook coment any diferent from sayng it yourself on "real life" ?

Deleted
    It's racism in the end, even if it happened through the media called facebook.

If its up to me racists should be punished as hard as possible, there is no excuse for being a racist of any sort.

At the end of the day the internet is now becoming "public". When companies can ask to see your Facebook and whatever without you agreeing to it, what you say and do on the internet is something you are now accountable for.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DakonBlackblade View Post
    How is a facebook coment any diferent from sayng it yourself on "real life" ?
    The format is entirely different. The lack of physical presence negates any immediate violence or harassment that could come from it. Indeed even being insulting (even racially) in real life should warrant little more than a warning.

We don't even know what the offensive comment to Demba Ba was.

Deleted
    Well racists can be prosecuted here so why wouldn't they?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    It's racism in the end, even if it happened through the media called facebook.

If its up to me racists should be punished as hard as possible, there is no excuse for being a racist of any sort.
    "As hard as possible"?

What, we talking execution here? Torture?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    The format is entirely different. The lack of physical presence negates any immediate violence or harassment that could come from it. Indeed even being insulting (even racially) in real life should warrant little more than a warning.

We don't even know what the offensive comment to Demba Ba was.
    The police and government have taken a tough stance on online formats ever since the riots were incited using them, since then anything online is taken seriously.

Deleted
    But when it comes to sports celebrities or any other celebrities, they take action on you because those people are worth more than other people, didn't you know?

It's so funny because even if someone on facebook would outright say that he will come to my house and kill me tomorrow, nothing would be done about that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    The police and government have taken a tough stance on online formats ever since the riots were incited using them, since then anything online is taken seriously.
    Was this an attempt to incite a riot or harassment/violence towards Demba Ba? Who knows, we don't know what was said. If someone just insulted his colour, or his religion (it is being alluded to in several articles, for some reason) then the consequences are pretty bad for freedom of speech. It is a slippery slope, despite appeals otherwise.

It is outright disturbing. Who knows how tame the comment even was?
    The police do and so will the court if it is deemed to be prosecutable.

It's common knowledge on here what your views are about the laws in the UK that cover speech (going by several threads you have made in the past about it), what more could you hope to glean from further discussion? It will just be another 'absolute free speech v hate speech proponents' thread with the same geographical bias all 'political' threads have.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's stupid, shame you guys don't have free speech in the UK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Activi-T View Post
    The police do and so will the court if it is deemed to be prosecutable.
    I am sure they do. We don't, though.

It's common knowledge on here what your views are about the laws in the UK that cover speech (going by several threads you have made in the past about it), what more could you hope to glean from further discussion? It will just be another 'absolute free speech v hate speech proponents' thread with the same geographical bias all 'political' threads have.
    Yes, it is.

I just wanted to bring attention to this, given I read about it today.

Deleted
    Was this an attempt to incite a riot or harassment/violence towards Demba Ba? Who knows, we don't know what was said. If someone just insulted his colour, or his religion (it is being alluded to in several articles, for some reason) then the consequences are pretty bad for freedom of speech. It is a slippery slope, despite appeals otherwise.
    I'm not saying it's anything of the sort, only that since then the idea that it's less of an offense because it's online no longer holds true. Racism not only suffers from the internet campaign by the Police but also from the football associations campaign on racism.

this is so ridiculous. call a white guy a soda cracker and nobody would care. make fun of tebow being a christian and nobody would care.

but you better not make fun of minorities

wonder if they'll ever afford these same privileges to fat people, ugly people, short people, etc
    bet they don't because fat, ugly, short people don't complain about inequality all the time and if they do, they're mocked

this isn't about right and wrong, it's about how right and wrong have no bearing on public perception. humans are just so fucked up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    That's stupid, shame you guys don't have free speech in the UK.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that, few countries have good free speech models and I personally don't mind that racism is against the law in the slightest.

Deleted
    I'm not saying it's anything of the sort, only that since then the idea that it's less of an offense because it's online no longer holds true. Racism not only suffers from the internet campaign by the Police but also from the football associations campaign on racism.
    Yes, footballers receive favourable treatment on this. Suppose I or anyone else here was the victim of racial insults.

Suppose I racially insulted someone here. Should I be arrested for that if reported? Suppose someone from another country racially insulted someone on a UK hosted website. Should they be possibly extradited?

Deleted
    No "hard as possible" is in no ways torture, its just as inhuman as being a racist. Neither is it killing that person.

Its about punishment and reeducation, which sadly is not as effective as it could be, still though... racist should be punished heavily with jail.