1. #1
    Immortal Austilias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,049

    High Performance NVIDEA processor or Integrated graphics?

    Not long ago I right-clicked my WoW shortcut in order to get to some screenshots, but taking a quick glance down at the options I saw an option I had not previously seen on my old computer. From the dropdown option of 'Run with graphics processor', I could choose either 'High Performance NVIDEA processor', or, 'Integrated graphics (Default)'

    I'm wondering which of these would be better, if any?
    "A writer who says that there are no truths, or that all truth is 'merely relative,' is asking you not to believe him. So don't." - Roger Scruton
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I see no point in compelling integration. If you can't make your society sufficiently enticing to integrate willingly, then perhaps its not so superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Islam.

  2. #2
    Integrated uses RAM and the video chip on your Motherboard.

    NVIDIA processor uses your graphics card with dedicated memory.

    In almost every case the latter alternative is superior.

  3. #3
    Old God Kujako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the woods, doing what bears do.
    Posts
    10,558
    At a guess, this is a notebook or tablet? If you can run on your primary screen with the NVidia processor, I would expect it to have much better performance. the integrated graphics processor is almost always more limited.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  4. #4
    Sounds like your on a laptop.

    Integrated Graphics = Lower Performance, Longer Battery Life.
    Nvidia Processor = Higher Performance, Shorter Battery Life.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    At a guess, this is a notebook or tablet? If you can run on your primary screen with the NVidia processor, I would expect it to have much better performance. the integrated graphics processor is almost always more limited.
    The only benefit I can think of to switching to Integrated is power consumption savings if you're running on battery.

    Edit: Dammit GoodNews beat me.

  6. #6
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,514
    Always your dedicated.

    Your video cable is plugged into your graphics card and not your motherboard, right?

    Also, this thread should go in the computer forums, for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  7. #7
    Immortal Austilias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    7,049
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Always your dedicated.

    Your video cable is plugged into your graphics card and not your motherboard, right?

    Also, this thread should go in the computer forums, for sure.
    Didn't have much of a clue where to post the thread really, so my bad on that one. Running WoW on the NVIDEA option now and it definitely seems smoother, was just curious as I was never given the option to run WoW on a different graphics card setting and integrated was the default on this notebook (which at least seems like a laptop; do laptops even exist these days or do they just call them notebooks now?)
    "A writer who says that there are no truths, or that all truth is 'merely relative,' is asking you not to believe him. So don't." - Roger Scruton
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I see no point in compelling integration. If you can't make your society sufficiently enticing to integrate willingly, then perhaps its not so superior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Islam.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Your video cable is plugged into your graphics card and not your motherboard, right?
    Laptops are generally hooked to both and can flip between them with software.

  9. #9
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,514
    Ah, didn't realize it's a laptop. That makes a lot more sense now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  10. #10
    Computer shree


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •