Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Monk pvp. Am I bad ?

    I don't think I'm bad. I think I know a few things about pvp in this game.

    My gear is basically full dreadful but I don't have any pvp weapon. I find spriests and hunters to be impossible in 1v1 and I always seem to lose to warriors but I don't think warriors are impossible like the other two. Equal gear speaking ofc, I do check the armory of some people.

    Today I went ganking at the lion's landing mine quests. Not much success as there were 2 allies and like 7 horde there and not much chance of picking off people to 1v1. Went several times into 1v1 with this frost dk and I mostly got owned. His gear was also dreadful but he had malev 2hander.

    Got so pissed that I decided to take a break from wow until 5.2. Are monks really better than this next patch ?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Khronius View Post
    I don't think I'm bad. I think I know a few things about pvp in this game.

    My gear is basically full dreadful but I don't have any pvp weapon. I find spriests and hunters to be impossible in 1v1 and I always seem to lose to warriors but I don't think warriors are impossible like the other two. Equal gear speaking ofc, I do check the armory of some people.

    Today I went ganking at the lion's landing mine quests. Not much success as there were 2 allies and like 7 horde there and not much chance of picking off people to 1v1. Went several times into 1v1 with this frost dk and I mostly got owned. His gear was also dreadful but he had malev 2hander.

    Got so pissed that I decided to take a break from wow until 5.2. Are monks really better than this next patch ?
    Just a heads up, currently in a 1v1 situation a monk should really not beat anything. I know how frustrating it can be at times. And they get so much better 5.2 i've played the ptr and they feel like a completely new class its amazeing.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    Just a heads up, currently in a 1v1 situation a monk should really not beat anything. I know how frustrating it can be at times. And they get so much better 5.2 i've played the ptr and they feel like a completely new class its amazeing.
    This is so blatantly untrue its not even funny.

    While its harder than it is for most classes, Monks can certainly 1v1 anybody. To the OP: keep Expel Harm and Chi Wave/Chi Burst/Zen Sphere on cool down. Dont be afraid to paralysis to get a few seconds to put down some healing spheres. Use your disarm. When you see them pop Remorseless Winter, wait till four stacks to use Diffuse Magic and render it useless.

  4. #4
    Dreadlord Kyuubi87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    965
    You have to work harder with a Monk. 5.2 will bring along some nice changes.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Schaden View Post
    This is so blatantly untrue its not even funny.

    While its harder than it is for most classes, Monks can certainly 1v1 anybody. To the OP: keep Expel Harm and Chi Wave/Chi Burst/Zen Sphere on cool down. Dont be afraid to paralysis to get a few seconds to put down some healing spheres. Use your disarm. When you see them pop Remorseless Winter, wait till four stacks to use Diffuse Magic and render it useless.
    That's like saying that Unholy DKs can top damage meters if they want to or that Resto Druids can top healing "but it's just harder."

    All things being equal, a Monk should have a hard time sticking to their target as they get CC'd to oblivion. There's a reason why we're getting a free CC break in 5.2, and it's not because Monks are fine right now.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    Just a heads up, currently in a 1v1 situation a monk should really not beat anything. I know how frustrating it can be at times. And they get so much better 5.2 i've played the ptr and they feel like a completely new class its amazeing.
    thats not true. every other melee is freeloot for us in pvp, even warriors. seems like you cant play your monk in pvp either.

    While its harder than it is for most classes, Monks can certainly 1v1 anybody. To the OP: keep Expel Harm and Chi Wave/Chi Burst/Zen Sphere on cool down. Dont be afraid to paralysis to get a few seconds to put down some healing spheres. Use your disarm. When you see them pop Remorseless Winter, wait till four stacks to use Diffuse Magic and render it useless.
    thats bullshit. we cant beat mages or hunter as long as they can play as good as you.

    My gear is basically full dreadful but I don't have any pvp weapon.
    yeah, no weapons and you really wondering WHY you suck at pvp?

  7. #7
    I'm not fully pvp geared and can kick some serious ass. It depends on how comfortable you get with the class. I've been playing WW since beta and learned how to counter most classes there. They are fine in pvp (nimble brew is fucking awesome though (5.2), I feel ring of peace is too broken right now and will get nerfed to the ground before release. It's all about learning your class and knowing what to do and when. Don't use some abilities just for a damage gain, for example fist of fury, if you have to save it for an extra stun (even if they trinket they will get stunned right after it). What I tend to do is save my karma for moments of expected heavy damage like a warrior going ham with recklessness and keep expel harm and chi wave on CD.

  8. #8
    I can do quite well against other melee classes, but tend to really struggle with hunters, and shadow priests.

    Mages I don't find so bad, but it is very hit and miss with them.

  9. #9
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irish - Lives in Glasgow
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightflare View Post
    thats not true. every other melee is freeloot for us in pvp, even warriors. seems like you cant play your monk in pvp either.



    thats bullshit. we cant beat mages or hunter as long as they can play as good as you.





    yeah, no weapons and you really wondering WHY you suck at pvp?
    Pretty much what Hardcorè said. Mages yes, lesser extent hunters.

    Really shouldn't be having trouble with an SPriest, karma and diffuse magic..... that's all you need and if you're really struggling glyph zen mediation. That's not even needed, our blanket silence really messes them up.

    With no weapons it's not a surprise. Weapon dps > AP (nevermind pvp power into the equation)

  10. #10
    i find myself doing pretty good against most classes, some hunters give me trouble but i can usually do pretty well against them, worst class i have to face would be a demo lock, i can stay up for awhile, but i cant kill them.

  11. #11
    Field Marshal Purson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    76
    I'm finally finding my feet a lot more and can't say there is much of anything I truly struggle with right now (unless they out gear me greatly of course) in a 1v1 sense.

    I still struggle to shutdown healers a lot though, not sure if it's just me or how healing is in general, but if they have any idea what they're doing I just chase and never kill them

    I get focused a lot though, mages and warriors especially, and have pretty pathetic survivability when ganged or CC'd (even though I stack res over power) but I think the CC issue is a pain most are feeling right now.

    Still a week or so off PVP weps too so that might explain the 'unable to kill healer' issue

  12. #12
    Factors such as CC susceptibility awkward mobility and no on demand burst are what makes WW monks one of the worse dueling classes on live. Not saying that monks are bad (though the lack of representation in arena speaks for itself) im purely saying that they arn't that great at duels. Sure you'll beat that 1200 warrior or dk that doesn't know how to use cc's properly and keyboard turns but for the most part monks are going to lose that 1v1 duel.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 09:27 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightflare View Post
    thats not true. every other melee is freeloot for us in pvp, even warriors. seems like you cant play your monk in pvp either.
    GJ combining ignorance and a logical fallacy.

  13. #13
    The Patient Principe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    Just a heads up, currently in a 1v1 situation a monk should really not beat anything. I know how frustrating it can be at times. And they get so much better 5.2 i've played the ptr and they feel like a completely new class its amazeing.
    Wrong. I can beat literally any class 1v1 we have the tools to do so.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Principe View Post
    Wrong. I can beat literally any class 1v1 we have the tools to do so.
    I once 1shot a mage, therefor every monk can 1shot mages. See what i did there?

    On a side note, if we indeed had all the tools as you stated why is our toolbelt getting upgraded 5.2?

  15. #15
    We do have the tools Coraulten and the belt really isnt being increased at all in 5.2 just a few tweaks with the introduction of SE&F and RoP, which tbh shouldnt go live in its current state although i would have fun with it haha.

    We have two big magic counters;
    - Zen Meditation
    - Diffuse Magic
    - Spear hand Strike
    - Paralysis (can us it as an interrupt as apposed to a CC in 1v1 or even inside arena/rbgs
    -ToK

    Melee Counters;
    - Dampen Harm
    - Fortifying brew
    - Disarm
    - Paralysis
    - Leg sweep
    - Disable (can get out of range for burst etc)
    -ToK

    Gap Closers/dispel;
    - Tigers Lust
    - roll
    - flying serpent kick
    - Spinning fire blossom
    - Disable

    i'm sorry thats a lot of tool Cora and in 5.2 in the current rendition we have RoP and a cleave coming, hell you can even use SE&F to finsinh off a target running away while you begin on your next target....

    my point is we have the tool-belt to win 1v1 against any class out there if there at the same skill level as you thats what Principe was saying, also we can be pain in the butts to any class in a 1v1 situation, now i've just elaborated on what Principe was saying and i could even of gone on.

    as for your CC comment 1v1 i dont find any CC problems most can be countered or work in your favour, as for arena RBG's then yes that on live is a slightly different story

    as for your original question Khronius, once out have the PvP weapons you notice one hell of a big difference with taking down people, also you shouldn't give up just keep practicing its worth the effort every day i feel i make slight changes in my monk gameplay that really helps me in various situations.

    p.s. you do not suck, if you have had the willingness to come on here (or any site) and ask that to me says you don't suck but just need a little more gear, practice and to stop punishing yourself for loosing to a DK with a 2handed maelv weapon, that thing packs a punch.
    Last edited by Drixar; 2013-01-21 at 02:22 PM.

  16. #16
    I like this guy ^.

  17. #17
    ITT: Everyone completely forgets about Nimble Brew and acts like the only Monk changes are RoP and SEF. Lol at human Monk having double trinket while also having 2 PvP power trinkets.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Drixar View Post
    We do have the tools Coraulten and the belt really isnt being increased at all in 5.2 just a few tweaks with the introduction of SE&F and RoP, which tbh shouldnt go live in its current state although i would have fun with it haha.

    We have two big magic counters;
    - Zen Meditation
    - Diffuse Magic
    - Spear hand Strike
    - Paralysis (can us it as an interrupt as apposed to a CC in 1v1 or even inside arena/rbgs
    -ToK

    Melee Counters;
    - Dampen Harm
    - Fortifying brew
    - Disarm
    - Paralysis
    - Leg sweep
    - Disable (can get out of range for burst etc)
    -ToK

    Gap Closers/dispel;
    - Tigers Lust
    - roll
    - flying serpent kick
    - Spinning fire blossom
    - Disable

    i'm sorry thats a lot of tool Cora and in 5.2 in the current rendition we have RoP and a cleave coming, hell you can even use SE&F to finsinh off a target running away while you begin on your next target....

    my point is we have the tool-belt to win 1v1 against any class out there if there at the same skill level as you thats what Principe was saying, also we can be pain in the butts to any class in a 1v1 situation, now i've just elaborated on what Principe was saying and i could even of gone on.

    as for your CC comment 1v1 i dont find any CC problems most can be countered or work in your favour, as for arena RBG's then yes that on live is a slightly different story

    as for your original question Khronius, once out have the PvP weapons you notice one hell of a big difference with taking down people, also you shouldn't give up just keep practicing its worth the effort every day i feel i make slight changes in my monk gameplay that really helps me in various situations.

    p.s. you do not suck, if you have had the willingness to come on here (or any site) and ask that to me says you don't suck but just need a little more gear, practice and to stop punishing yourself for loosing to a DK with a 2handed maelv weapon, that thing packs a punch.
    There were a couple abilites i was referring to when i mentioned the toolkit metaphor, paralysis getting baseline range, Nimble brew, and RoP. RoP and Paralysis both drasticaly increase a monks mobility somwhat fixing the problem all togehter. Nimble brew for the most part clears up the susceptibility to ccs. So yes, we are getting new tools in our toolkit.

    But since you only directly addressed my comment on CC susceptibility you only said "i don't have a problem wth cc" and "most can be countered" Please explain how we counter the following ccs, Blood fear, Shockwave, death coil, intimidating shout, hex, instant sheep, deep freeze, seduce, HoJ, scatter into trap, Pet stuns, cyclone, there are plenty more and im sure you get the idea. Every other class has some secondary way to counter CC's except monks.

    Listing monk abilites and looking at them, they do in fact look quite good but there are some major holes in the spec as it stands.

  19. #19
    The Patient Principe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Coraulten View Post
    I once 1shot a mage, therefor every monk can 1shot mages. See what i did there?

    On a side note, if we indeed had all the tools as you stated why is our toolbelt getting upgraded 5.2?
    I said 1on1 and we are getting a new toolbelt because we didnt offer much for 3s and rbgs as windwalker. Also have survivability issues outside of our cds.

    Derp.

  20. #20
    Stood in the Fire Dragonix80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    BeHiNd YoU...
    Posts
    430
    I used to think alike you until I did PvP all the weekend. I spent a lot there as monk and I really learned a great deal about how monk work in PvP. It takes time to get used to monk and learn all their abilities. Now I eat melee classes for breakfast... yes, even the lolret paladin and warrior.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •