Page 1 of 2
LastLast

leveling prot, having trouble holding threat?

I've leveled a blood DK, prot Warrior, and Brewmaster through dungeons having no problems holding threat for the most part.
    I've started leveling a prot pally (currently level 50) and noticed I'm having much more difficult time holding threat. I use Consecration w/ Glyph > avengers shield > Holy Wrath > and spam HoR. I also have RFury up at all times and switch seal Right & command depending on whether it's a single-target or multiple-target. Any tips would be great
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2013-01-31 at 09:02 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    You should be using seal of insight the second you get it. Cons and Holy Wrath should be way below HoR and judgement, even on trash. Not only does shield of the righteous make you take less damage, its great for snap threat. You want to maximize your Holy Power generation, and avengers shield should be used on the pull. For instance pulling a group of mobs you should Avenger's Shield, drop cons, HoR when they are in melee, judge, etc.

Deleted
    The key to hold aggro while leveling is to pull more mobs. More vengeance = easier time holding aggro.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like the righteous fury bug is still not 100% squashed. To be safe, make sure you put up righteous fury every now and then, especially after a zone change or a wipe.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't state whether or not you have herilooms on, but if you don't then most classes with full heirlooms will probably over aggro you.

Even at level 90, Prot Pally threat is still abysmal compared to the other tanks. We might be on par with or a little better than Warriors, but DK's, Monks, and Druids are MUCH better at building and maintaining threat. That's the one thing I hate about playing one.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    Even at level 90, Prot Pally threat is still abysmal compared to the other tanks. We might be on par with or a little better than Warriors, but DK's, Monks, and Druids are MUCH better at building and maintaining threat. That's the one thing I hate about playing one.
    Don't think I've ever had issues with threat at 90. I've always felt like my damage as prot was insane.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Don't think I've ever had issues with threat at 90. I've always felt like my damage as prot was insane.
    It's not a problem at all when we're fighting alongside DPS or if we're on a boss where the other tank needs to control aggro any ways, and that's all that really matters so it's not that big of a deal, however it's still upsetting (for me) to see that our threat isn't as good as the other tanks.

I wouldn't worry about threat, I'd worry about damage, impossible to quest in prot due to the bullshitingly low damage. Honestly if you're interested in tanking end game at level 90, don't level a prot pally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    You should be using seal of insight the second you get it.
    Yea, 'cause that generates tons of threat. Stupid Seal is Stupid.

Moving on: while leveling or even at entry-level 90, you will get in the party people who do way more DPS/threat than you can manage. Think about starting Outland dungeons and DKs showing up. They put DnD and have aggro 2-3 seconds before you can glue them on you. Or in lvl90, you get a DPS doing 70+k DPS (I still wonder what the hell are they still doing in the dungeons with that gear) or ranged pulling everything in their sight just because they can. And you struggle to run all over the place to hit the mobs (HotR "really" helps here)..

TL;DR: Have patience, lots of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadinglight View Post
    I wouldn't worry about threat, I'd worry about damage, impossible to quest in prot due to the bullshitingly low damage. Honestly if you're interested in tanking end game at level 90, don't level a prot pally.
    what is this prot palladin is one of the most solid tanks out there and we bring both good damage and some nice passive healing.
    we also have tons of cds to play with and shild of the rigthusnes is so strong for active mitagation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have Righteous Fury up?

I believe the last time I played protection or even used Righteous Fury, it was off the gcd, meaning that you could just macro it into something and it would just keep spam refreshing it.

Still is, apparently.

Just macro Righteous Fury into your Hammer of the Righteous and Crusader Strike or Judgement

#showtooltip abilityname
    /startattack
    /cast abilityname
    /cast Righteous Fury

I had a problem with the bug that would not grant threat generation in Cataclysm, this macro solved my problems. If it doesn't work, you can just delete it. No harm in trying it out.

I feel like the righteous fury bug is still not 100% squashed. To be safe, make sure you put up righteous fury every now and then, especially after a zone change or a wipe.
    i still get crit on my blood dk lol

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post

Moving on: while leveling or even at entry-level 90, you will get in the party people who do way more DPS/threat than you can manage. Think about starting Outland dungeons and DKs showing up. They put DnD and have aggro 2-3 seconds before you can glue them on you. Or in lvl90, you get a DPS doing 70+k DPS (I still wonder what the hell are they still doing in the dungeons with that gear) or ranged pulling everything in their sight just because they can. And you struggle to run all over the place to hit the mobs (HotR "really" helps here)..

TL;DR: Have patience, lots of it.
    You do realize Seal of Truth does 80% less damage for Prot right? Stupid seal is stupid... also, it does create heal threat.
    Also, even in meh gear, I was able to keep threat off of arcane mages bursting for 140k+. Tanks create 500% extra threat. A 50k Avengers Shield creates 250k threat. You should never, ever have threat issues. If you do, get more hit. As a prot paladin you should be hit and expertise capped anyway.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 01:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fadinglight View Post
    Why? Prot paladins are considered one of the best right now.

SoI out aggros SoT by quite a lot.
    Last edited by Serani; 2013-02-01 at 08:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry about it while levelling. Everybody at low levels wants to tank. I'm constantly getting hunters, mages, and ret pallies that seem to want to pull more than I do. Sometimes I just sit down and /sigh. I ask them not to pull and they say "It doesn't matter, just hit stuff".

But sometimes they yell at me for going too fast, then other people yell at me for going too slow, then other people yell at me for pulling too much, then other people yell at me for pulling too little, then I ask people to please stop pulling and I get kicked...then Blizzard wonders why nobody wants to tank and there's a shortage.

If you pull aggro and you're not a tank, your hp should whittle down in about 2 seconds and your corpse should be flagged as non-resurrectible so you can take the time in running back to think about why you died. People would learn pretty quick to let us do our jobs if that happened.

Anyway, sorry. /rant

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    Then you must be building wrong or doing something strange.... because a haste geared prot paladin should never struggle to hold threat.....most of the time when off tanking i have 2 keep a salv rotation up (main raid im partnered with a dk and alt raid im partnered with a druid before u say)

granted at blues your haste aint that high so maybe yeh you may struggle...but once u at least get over 10% haste, if your having problems then its you not the class.

interesting, thanks for the tips guys

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serani View Post
    SoI out aggros SoT by quite a lot.
    Well, it can be right, I didn't pay much attention to the numbers, truth be told. :P I guess I'm still "used" Censure to be spread, like early Cata..

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Don't worry about it while levelling. Everybody at low levels wants to tank. I'm constantly getting hunters, mages, and ret pallies that seem to want to pull more than I do. Sometimes I just sit down and /sigh. I ask them not to pull and they say "It doesn't matter, just hit stuff".

But sometimes they yell at me for going too fast, then other people yell at me for going too slow, then other people yell at me for pulling too much, then other people yell at me for pulling too little, then I ask people to please stop pulling and I get kicked...then Blizzard wonders why nobody wants to tank and there's a shortage.

If you pull aggro and you're not a tank, your hp should whittle down in about 2 seconds and your corpse should be flagged as non-resurrectible so you can take the time in running back to think about why you died. People would learn pretty quick to let us do our jobs if that happened.

Anyway, sorry. /rant
    When I have the luck in going into dungeons with a healer friend, we chill those wannabe tanks pretty quickly. We let them tank what they pulled and.. die.. In about 1-2 deaths they're the most patient DPS I've ever seen. And from then on it's the most pleasant dungeon run of all.. And I do pull big packs, I chain packs and so on.

If I'm not with a healer friend, I test healer's potential by growing slowly the number of mobs I take on me. I struggle to tell me and teach them to change targets if they get aggro on a particular mob or to run towards me not away from me, because I cannot magically take it off of them.. And so on..

Deleted
    When I have the luck in going into dungeons with a healer friend, we chill those wannabe tanks pretty quickly. We let them tank what they pulled and.. die.. In about 1-2 deaths they're the most patient DPS I've ever seen. And from then on it's the most pleasant dungeon run of all.. And I do pull big packs, I chain packs and so on.

If I'm not with a healer friend, I test healer's potential by growing slowly the number of mobs I take on me. I struggle to tell me and teach them to change targets if they get aggro on a particular mob or to run towards me not away from me, because I cannot magically take it off of them.. And so on..
    Never understood that logic when I was leveling a tank, when a dps pulled something, great, more to tank = faster run. Whats the problem with just picking it up? That being said, especially when I leveled my warrior and druid, the dps never even got a chance to pull. Think dps pulled mobs like once every 20 levels or so.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Never understood that logic when I was leveling a tank, when a dps pulled something, great, more to tank = faster run. Whats the problem with just picking it up? That being said, especially when I leveled my warrior and druid, the dps never even got a chance to pull. Think dps pulled mobs like once every 20 levels or so.
    Because they get cut in half and bitch at you, when you are already pulling quickly.