Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

So now that you've had time to gather your thoughts...

Would you recommend this game to someone who quit WoW because it was too time consuming, but still misses the fun that I had playing it?

Edit: Wow, never thought this thread would get so active.
    Last edited by Glaukus; 2013-01-09 at 01:42 AM.

Absolutely.

The franchise is extremely casual play orientated. All the play systems are jump in/jump out by design with few barriers to entry. As a series, and sequel, the Guild Wars games are very accommodating to casual play.

Also frankly, the game is low risk. One time $60 purchase for a game you can play at your leisure without further or ongoing costs. Buying a copy of GW2 carries no greater risk or investment than a copy of Skyrim, Borderlands 2 or such.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-03 at 03:12 AM.

Does being a casual game limit the amount of fun you have in comparison to a game like WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Glaukus View Post
    Does being a casual game limit the amount of fun you have in comparison to a game like WoW?
    I can't tell if this is a serious question. World of Warcraft is the greatest innovator of casual gameplay in the genre. Its the foundation of their fortune.

So, no?

Not sure how to interpret your question.

Fun is a subjective term and whether you have the self restraint to play while taking care of business is entirely up to you.

Would you recommend this game to someone who quit WoW because it was too time consuming, but still misses the fun that I had playing it?
    I would ask you what you really liked about WoW in the first place.

But regardless, I think it's a low risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I would ask you what you really liked about WoW in the first place.
    Aye this is what I was going to ask. Our answer will really depend on what you enjoy from WoW.

But if you are looking for something in which just to drop in and play, have no real time commitments (you just want to play for 15-30 minutes, then great, or if you want to spend a few hours then great too), then yeah it's a great game for that.

I wouldn't limit it to casual players only, most of the time I play only one game and this quite excessively. GW2 gives you the choice to do so. Yes, you can participate in events, kill a few mobs and move on. You will be rewarded for that. And then you can take your time, talk to the npcs around the area to get background-information. You do the event from start to finish and follow the npcs to the follow-up events... sometimes quite a lot which we know as "eventchains". It's really impressive imho.

An other example would be dungeons. You are given the choice to play a story-mode of the dungeon, which has a more casual pug-friendly approach. Hero-Npcs follow you around and you experience their story... mostly done in less than 40 minutes. Then you have the explorable mode, 3 different paths, each with different content and a bit more difficult encounters. Would you choose to do all 3 of them in one evening, you should expect to spend a bit of time in there. Do this dungeon the next day is often rewarded with a few different events in there, so it's not always the same. In one run I had a big cave-troll break through a wall before a boss encounter. We lured the troll to the boss and made them fight each other... worked quite well and was fun to watch - a whole new experience for us.

all I can say is: the game has great content for both: casual and hardcore players. I'd see myself in between those and it differs from day to day where I see myself. For anyone who disagrees, I'd like to see their definition of hardcore.

Deleted
    I dont know if wow takes more time really, only if you do everything and doing everything in GW2 takes some time as well... do you want lvl 80, all professions skilled, get all spvp items... well it takes quite a while but same does wow if you aim to both pvp and pve. If you do aim for pve or wvwv-pvp where lvl and gear matter... once you reached lvl 80 you cant fall behind in gear because a patch launched... dont know if that changed with the new kind of gear people got upset about. In spvp you get best gear instant and everyone is equal in stats... only cosmetics looks that involves many, many hours of grinding if you want it all. So in terms of balance GW2 is more casual friendly. Also the combat is more fun than wow, you can get too comfortable with the action and dodging in the combat =) I would recommend you to give it a try, a one time buy and the game is always yours.
    My GW2 is on the shelf atm and Im currently spending the little game time I have on planetside2 because... in the spvp field GW2 still needs updates. But I know that I have the game and as soon things start working well with the game I will play it every now and then when and if I got time =)

It's a very fun game, but don't expect much from the PvE part of it (It's close to nonexistant)

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    It's a very fun game, but don't expect much from the PvE part of it (It's close to nonexistant)
    I'm playing the game since release, nearly every day. Haven't even seen 55% of the game (according to PvE-checklist points - events not even included in this list). Are you kidding me? This game has a huge amount of PvE content, can't think of a game that even comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Because most people don't include "walk around the map" as PvE content.
    ever heard of events scattered around the map? You don't see events as PvE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    ever heard of events scattered around the map? You don't see events as PvE?
    no, I call that questing and WoW has way more of those than GW2 by a long margin... PvE is Dungeons and raids which pretty much any mmo has more of...

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    no, I call that questing and WoW has way more of those than GW2 by a long margin... PvE is Dungeons and raids which pretty much any mmo has more of...
    Player versus Environment (usually abbreviated as PvE) refers to the combat and activities in the game which are not focused on competing against other players to succeed. PvE content is designed to be completed cooperatively with other players or as a solo player, so if combat is involved it is against computer controlled enemies. PvE is the opposite of Player versus Player (PvP) which focuses on combat against other players. In Guild Wars 2, PvP and PvE content are completely separate; a character playing PvE cannot be killed by another player.

PvE takes place in Tyria, a persistent environment with its own history built specifically for the game mode. The world map is divided into zones separated by portals. Each zone is filled with creatures, NPCs, events and other players for the player to interact with. In Guild Wars 2 the player is guided through the zones by following their personal story, though they are free to ignore that guidance and simply explore the game.
    PvE is designed to encourage fluid, natural cooperation between players. Any player contributing to a fight is rewarded and has a chance at loot and gets the same amount of experience regardless of how many other players were involved. Dynamic level adjustment scales higher level players down to the level of the area. Events and other encounters scale in difficulty as more players join in. Every player is able to revive others who have been defeated. Traditional MMORPG player roles such as healing classes have been eschewed in favor of each character being able to perform a hybrid role in combat and provide all of the three facets of the Guild Wars 2 combat system; damage, control and support.

The following sections provide additional details about some of the significant aspects of Guild Wars 2 Player versus Environment game play.

There are 25 large explorable zones, 8 dungeons, and 6 cities currently planned for Guild Wars 2.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Play...us_Environment

PS: WoW has quite a lot of dungeons, but not as much viable ones as it looks. For example: no one sees Karazhan as viable dungeon anymore, since the rewards aren't viable. Enemies are just underlevel and you can solo this once great raid now. GW2 scales you back to the level of the dungeon, so every dungeon is and will be viable period.

WoW has quite a lot of quests too, but those are only viable as you are at the level of these quests. Once you're a few levels past, they lose most of their appeal. Rewards don't scale (greyed out) and you can do them only once, even if you love them. In GW2 you can do events as often as you want, and you get rewarded with viable currency for doing even starter-area events. So in the end GW2 has much more viable content.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-01-03 at 01:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    so what you're saying is guild wars 2 has a lot more daily quests than wow... and with this wonderful thing called exp gain stop you can do aaalll the zones at proper levels if you so wish

anyway I don't really find anything wrong with it but I also don't see it as uber innovative as others make it sound... mob scaling has existed in games since forever... except that in guild wars it's not applied to mobs but to players...

oh well I guess I won't really make a fair judgement untill I actually try the game... too bad atm I'm short on money and the game is fairly expensive here...
    Last edited by Skorpionss; 2013-01-03 at 01:33 PM.

Personally I think it’s a no brainer to buy GW2, I've already had hundreds of hours of play with just the box price. Apparently the January and February updates are the size of an expansion so there’s that to look forward to and the fact the game is ever evolving. I'm a casual player myself and this game is very accessible, there is not even close to the same gear grind as there is in WoW so you’re gear will still be relevant if you don’t log in after a few months. There is no reputation to grind for enchants etc.. so no gap there either if you're casual. In structured PvP everyone has the same selection of gear to pick from so skilled casual players can easily compete with the hardcore people. WvW is designed for casual play, letting you drop in and out of a massive ranked persistent battle as you please. Oh, and then there’s the fact you have no sub so again fits perfectly with the casual player who may not play every day.

I think it really comes down to if you're ready to embrace change or want to stick with the more classic gameplay like WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    so what you're saying is guild wars 2 has a lot more daily quests than wow... and with this wonderful thing called exp gain stop you can do aaalll the zones at proper levels if you so wish

anyway I don't really find anything wrong with it but I also don't see it as uber innovative as others make it sound... mob scaling has existed in games since forever... except that in guild wars it's not applied to mobs but to players...

oh well I guess I won't really make a fair judgement untill I actually try the game... too bad atm I'm short on money and the game is fairly expensive here...
    no daily quests (as known in games like WoW) don't have multiple outcomes. They don't have follow-up events which depend on the outcome of the previous event. Daily quests don't happen if there is no player near them, so bandits always wait for a player to attack a village or they are already there. You don't see it happen. The area is always the same, with the exception of phasing, which destroys the possibility to play with every other player in the area. Daily Quests are not about cooperation, you have to steal enemies from other players to get your loot. In GW2 there is no need to form a party for open world events, you cooperate with everyone just by being there and taking action. You can't grief events for other players.

Daily Quest don't scale for the number of players participating.

You say that you stop xp-gain and do all starting-areas before you go to the higher level zone? Then do this again? Who does this? Where is the freedom to do what you like in that? I've yet to see anyone doing this. It's natural for most of the players to go for the max. level first. In GW2 you have the freedom to do this and go back to everything you missed... finding it still viable and challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Absolutely.

The franchise is extremely casual play orientated. All the play systems are jump in/jump out by design with few barriers to entry. As a series, and sequel, the Guild Wars games are very accommodating to casual play.

Also frankly, the game is low risk. One time $60 purchase for a game you can play at your leisure without further or ongoing costs. Buying a copy of GW2 carries no greater risk or investment than a copy of Skyrim, Borderlands 2 or such.
    I have nothing more to add to this! The game is good value for its money and it has so much stuff to keep you occupied. I have around 700 hours played and for $60 I would say it is worth it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've not played the game for a while now, but doesn't GW2 have more of a grind than WoW? When I last looked, it would take forever to gear up to the next level.

I would recommend the game solely for the levelling experience, although it gets a bit boring near the end. The world is beautiful to explore.

I didn't like the pve dungeons, they felt messy and zergy. WvWvW looks great, but is boring. The world events are overrated as well, as when I played they were boring aoe zerg fests.

Overall though, good value for money, you will most likely get more game time than a single player game at the same cost.

You could do with explaining more in your OP, why do you think WoW is time consuming? (as I don't think it is) Can you not commit to raids? or the dailies killed it for you? You don't really tell us your playing style or habits at all.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-01-03 at 03:20 PM.

Deleted
    I don't play Guild Wars 2 right now but I would still recommend it to anyone looking to try out a new game who isn't looking for an endgame raid environment. It's good value for money and it can provide at the very least, hundreds of hours of entertainment. You don't need to grind anything or keep on par to a tier system, so taking a month or two off is no big deal. It is as others have said very casual though. If you are the type of person who looks for a competitive PvP scene, or PvE wise if you enjoy any sort of gear grind progression/ character micromanagement/raiding or even theorycrafting, I'd say this game is the wrong one to go for.