Romance in Video Games - Take 2

A very long time ago I put up a post in this forum for a survey I was conducting. It was about romance and video games and the purpose was to use the findings in an article I was planning to write on my blog.

Well, after lots of procrastination and other silliness, I have finally posted the article. In fact, my actual blog went live along with it. Please give it a quick look and let me know your feedback. There is no other way I will find out if I am good at this writing thing.

If you like it, please visit the site regularly. I will be putting up daily posts of various lengths. Again, all your feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by RogueOlf; 2013-02-02 at 12:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot the colon after http, FYI.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

Haven't read the article yet, but just letting you know the link is missing a colon after http.

Regardless, best of luck with this endeavor.

Not the best of starts

Thank you for letting me know.

Deleted
    I dont know if you mean storylines in videogames containing romance, or people meeting online through videogames or that some people romance videogames so much they dont care about much else in the world? I dont enjoy clicking random links to random dudes in forum, more often than less it's some crap behind it. So feel free to tell about your article here, I understand you might need viewers because you want to make money of some kind, but most people prefer not clicking links. I recommend if you are interested in a discussion on the topic that you write down a summary of the article in this forum.

That's a fair comment. And let me assure you, no money is being made off of the traffic to the blog. I really just want feedback on my writing.

The goal of the article is really to discuss how romance is used in video games overall. I talk about romance as a narrative tool. I talk a bit about games where the whole game focuses on romance. The idea is more to discuss how it helps to move a story forward and keep the player engaged.

In addition to this, I did a survey where I asked some people about how they would feel if their significant other played a game that allowed their character to be romantically involved (with an npc or another player controlled character). The results were interesting, though not entirely unsurprising.

Thanks again for the feedback. When advertising my work I will try to make sure to be clearer on what its all about.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOlf View Post
    That's a fair comment. And let me assure you, no money is being made off of the traffic to the blog. I really just want feedback on my writing.

The goal of the article is really to discuss how romance is used in video games overall. I talk about romance as a narrative tool. I talk a bit about games where the whole game focuses on romance. The idea is more to discuss how it helps to move a story forward and keep the player engaged.

In addition to this, I did a survey where I asked some people about how they would feel if their significant other played a game that allowed their character to be romantically involved (with an npc or another player controlled character). The results were interesting, though not entirely unsurprising.

Thanks again for the feedback. When advertising my work I will try to make sure to be clearer on what its all about.
    Romance can be used either as a side story or as part of the main plot. IIRC final fantasy uses a love story between the main character and someone in the party that the other members urge on. It makes you feel happy getting involved in such a story. Just my 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I havent seen any computer games focus on romance as amain story... except maybe if you are playing Sims or a JRPG :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

It no longer interests me.
    It's rare to have a romance story that's not terrible or overdone these days.
    So many songs and movies are already about romance and for a lot of people it's also a major factor in every day life.
    Sure it can add depth to a character as a side story or minor plot but beyond that I personaly have seen enough romance stories to last me this lifetime.

Exceptions being romance stories with darker undertones or harsh realities.
    I'm not talking about something as obvious as death but more along the lines of it not working out in the end.
    ''..and they lived happily ever after.'' is so overdone by now it makes me lose all faith in the story.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I havent seen any computer games focus on romance as amain story... except maybe if you are playing Sims or a JRPG :P
    All the Final Fantasy games have romance as their main story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    All the Final Fantasy games have romance as their main story.
    I wouldn't say all of them. I can't speak for XIII, but XIII-2 dealt mainly with Sarah trying to find her sister and fixing the timeline. I'm either blind or the romance in there was nearly non-existent. Sarah's husband? showed up for like one area.

FFXII's main storyline was restoring peace to Dalmasca and dealing with nethicite.

I'll give you FFX as being romance heavy. The main story however was Yuna's quest to become a summoner and stop Sin.

FFIX... it's been a while but I remember a princess. Was Zidane trying to woo her? I don't believe so. Main story was...I can't remember. Something about stopping K-something. Kuja?

I skipped FFVIII, so who knows!

FFVII had some romance side points, but I wouldn't say it was the main story. Main story was Cloud trying to find himself and stop Sephiroth.

FFVI had Locke, and his history with Rachel, and then Celes, but that was a side story. Main story is typically accepted as centered around Terra.
    Last edited by Mekanikos; 2013-02-08 at 11:33 AM.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin