10+ Year Old Account

GPU: 680, or wait?

I'm basically wondering, seeing as I don't really follow the tides on the GPU front, is there a new series coming from Nvidia soon?(1-4months) or should I just buy a 680?

If you think I should buy a 680, any pointers to which brand etc to pick? No limitations when it comes to money. Not too fuzzed about OC'ing, just want a custom fan solution that works well.

Really thanks for any help I can get that makes me choice easier!
    Last edited by Falling; 2013-01-31 at 09:56 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would just buy the 680 but really I would buy the 670 it's such a great GPU and 680 is a little overkill for what I do. If you have the mentality to just wait for the next series then you would never get set on a video card I don't think your going to see much gains from the next lineup anyways and they will be sold out in seconds anyways. Usually the higher end cards sell out in seconds/minutes when they come out and are hard to get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falling View Post
    I'm basically wondering, seeing as I don't really follow the tides on the GPU front, is there a new series coming from Nvidia soon?(1-4months) or should I just buy a 680?

If you think I should buy a 680, any pointers to which brand etc to pick? No limitations when it comes to money. Not too fuzzed about OC'ing, just want a custom fan solution that works well.

Really thanks for any help I can get that makes me choice easier!
    if u go to youtube and check out "Leaked: NVIDIA GeForce Titan (GTX 680 Ultra) Coming Soon?" there is a great video with some info on the new GPU to wait for if u want some serious power. Check it out, hope it helps answer ur question

If you want to spend $900 on a card you can wait a month or so for Titan, if not then there is no harm in buying now.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, that is a bit too expensive again :/

Are any of the brands of 680 any better than the others or should I just buy whatever?

10+ Year Old Account
    Different companies mix their own card, so the cooling or performance might be better in some cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127693

I know you said you don't plan to overclock, but this card have excellent performance/cooling and so is made for overclocking for that extra 10 fps. Although there is no point at 1080p gaming.

I'm not entirely sure, but I do think that the 7970 GHz Edition Is the best card out right now for performance/money value.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

They are pretty close though, I would get the 680 since I have not a negative word to put for it. It's brilliant.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the MSI 680 Lightning seems to be the card most people prefer. Think I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the help!

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Falling View Post
    Yeah, the MSI 680 Lightning seems to be the card most people prefer. Think I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the help!
    techpowerup gave it a 9.8 rating
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)