Poll: Would you consider voting for someone with such a platform?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I'd like your opinion on the draft of my campaign platform.

In a few years I'll be running for the Missouri General Assembly as a member of the Republican Party. I am devising a very rough outline of my political platform and would like to share it with you guys. I would very much like to hear your thoughts on it, but please remember that this is just a rough outline.

Campaign Finance & Electoral Reform
    I support replacing Missouri's first-past-the-post electoral system with an instant-runoff voting system. In an instant-runoff voting system, individuals can choose as many or as few candidates as they'd like to vote for, and rank them by preference. In addition, I support having publicly funded political campaigns. Public funding of elections will only cost each person about $5 a year, which I believe is a small price to pay. With publicly funded elections and an instant-runoff voting system, Missouri would have more competitive elections and give all candidates an equal opportunity to make their case to their would-be constituents. For presidential elections, I support replacing Missouri's primary system with a caucus system. I believe a caucus system will improve our presidential elections and ensure that the best candidates are chosen by the most passionate and educated citizens.

Civil Liberties
    I have always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and have spent the last several years as an official volunteer for the National Rifle Association. I will oppose all attempts to infringe upon your Second Amendment rights. I will also propose legislation that will make it illegal for any state or municipal funds, resources or personnel to be used to enforce unconstitutional gun control laws. I will also fight for legislation that will make it illegal for any elected representative in Missouri, including local officials, to attempt to initiate unconstitutional gun control measures; this will also apply to elected officials at the federal level from Missouri. I will also fight to expand your Second Amendment rights at every turn.

I will fight to repeal Missouri Constitutional Amendment 2 of 2004, which bans marriage between homosexual couples. In addition, I will work towards legalizing civil partnerships for homosexual couples, which isn't unconstitutional under the amendment.

Education
    Following my belief that the best defense against tyranny is an educated and armed populace, I support massive reform to Missouri's education system. I support a massive increase in funding for Missouri's public schools. I also support eliminating all political indoctrination from our schools, be it left-wing or right-wing. I believe that one of the most important roles of our education system should be to teach civics and the responsibilities of citizens. I will replace the mandatory single government class from high schools, and replace it with several more specialized mandatory civics classes that students will be required to take. In addition, students should have to learn about the importance of being politically active and of exercising their right to bear arms, as well as their other responsibilities to the state.

I will also support a program where anyone who meets a certain set of academic criteria will receive a completely publicly subsidized college education. I will also educate children in high schools of alternatives to college, such as apprenticeships. All the while, I will also support the rights of homeschoolers and fight against attempts to infringe upon a responsible parent's right to homeschool their children.

Environment & Infrastructure
    I support requiring hefty fines, community service and jail-time for those caught littering and/or polluting our environment. I also support increasing funding to state-services for inspecting bridges, dams and other infrastructure. I also support the construction of a high-speed rail network across the state of Missouri.

Illegal Substance Laws
    I support a constitutional amendment that would legalize marijuana. With that being said, individuals caught driving under the influence of alcohol, marijuana or illegal drugs will face long prison sentences (along with hefty fines and the permanent loss of their drivers' license) on their first offense.

Healthcare & Welfare
    I will work to implement a publicly funded health insurance option that will be available for individuals who earn less than $20,000 a year. I will also support legislation that would create a system of database sharing between Missouri and other states, to eliminate cross-state welfare fraud.

Statehood Friendship Program
    In order to build closer cultural and political ties with other states, Missouri would begin a cultural and political exchange with the Czech Republic, Ghana and Singapore. We would work to build closer relations between our states and help prepare these states for eventual U.S. statehood. We would share American history and ideals with these people, such as freedom, gun ownership, republicanism and the importance of the Constitution. In return, the people of the Czech Republic, Ghana and Singapore would share with us their own unique cultures and histories with Missourians.

Taxation, Spending and Labor
    I will work towards implementing a flat tax at the state level, supplemented with a negative income tax. I would also work to create provisions that would eliminate all corporate taxes for companies that paid all of their employees at least twice the state's minimum wage. Additionally, I would oppose any attempts at adding sales tax to internet transactions. No individual should be required to join a union or pay union dues in order to hold a job. With that being said, companies shouldn't be able to fire an individual for trying to form a union on their own time.
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2013-04-02 at 02:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds reasonable to me, but the Healthcare threshold should be a bit higher, and should include children.

9/10
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Um...you want to annex a country in eastern europe?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Yes, the Czech are a very interesting people who shares similar values with us and are a good prospect for the eventual enlargement of the United States.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    If the majority want it why not? We should get Canada and Iceland first, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Daishi View Post
    Yes, the Czech are a very interesting people who shares similar values with us and are a good prospect for the eventual enlargement of the United States.
    Good april fools

Being from MO, i would vote for you in a heartbeat.

Doesn't sound like enough tax revenue to take care of the increased amounts of funds toward education and healthcare. Not a fan of expanding the 2nd amendment as I find it hard to trust stupid people. I'm also unsure about permanent removal of licenses if just caught driving under the influence; I feel like mistakes like that can be forgivable if met by the proper fine. Sounds good other than those few things. I like the support of same-sex marriage

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip, yes I read it all, a couple of times*
    Truthfully, I think you should move from MO... many of your ideas are too progressive for MO.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

I think Ghana, Singapore and the Czech Republic will... Ehm... Giggle, and then compose a letter saying 'no, thanks.'

Anyway, as for the rest: Nice to see some left-wing republican things in there. Personally, I think there's a bit too much emphasis on guns, though. Making guns optional is one thing; you're making them pretty much mandatory... A bad situation for anyone who doesn't (want to) own a firearm. Aside from that: Classical European voting system, extra education, and health care for those who can't otherwise afford it... All in favour.

One bit gripe is the NRA thing. The NRA's lobby is bizarrely huge, and the backing funds brought by the NRA can (and does) bribe just about anyone... You being a member of such a notoriously corrupting lobby organization makes it a definite 'no.' Which is sad, considering. I could live with the 'guns are practically mandatory' thing.

Edit: Oh, and homeschooling is more often a bad thing than not. Parents usually just don't know their stuff. So you shouldn't endorse it.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    If the majority want it why not? We should get Canada and Iceland first, though.
    Absolutely, we wouldn't force anyone to do something they wouldn't want to. If the majority of the people in those countries wanted to join the United States, they should be able to. Hopefully other states will follow Missouri's example and initiate similar programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I think Ghana, Singapore and the Czech Republic will... Ehm... Giggle, and then compose a letter saying 'no, thanks.'

Anyway, as for the rest: Nice to see some left-wing republican things in there. Personally, I think there's a bit too much emphasis on guns, though. Making guns optional is one thing; you're making them pretty much mandatory... A bad situation for anyone who doesn't (want to) own a firearm. Aside from that: Classical European voting system, extra education, and health care for those who can't otherwise afford it... All in favour.

One bit gripe is the NRA thing. The NRA's lobby is bizarrely huge, and the backing funds brought by the NRA can (and does) bribe just about anyone... You being a member of such a notoriously corrupting lobby organization makes it a definite 'no.' Which is sad, considering. I could live with the 'guns are practically mandatory' thing.

Edit: Oh, and homeschooling is more often a bad thing than not. Parents usually just don't know their stuff. So you shouldn't endorse it.
    Fortunately or unfortunately, the NRA is really the only gun rights group strong enough and vocal enough to stand up to people like Dianne Feinstein and Michael Bloomberg. In American politics, everyone is involved in campaign financing, it's just part of the normal system; the NRA is no more corrupt than the anti-gun rights Brady Campaign or the Sierra Club or the ACLU or AARP or countless other organizations. Though with the campaign finance reform laws I support, no interest group (regardless of their goal) would have such powers; be it the NRA or Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns."

I wouldn't make gun ownership mandatory for anyone, though I would require everyone take gun safety classes to learn about responsible firearms ownership.

I think Politicus and I are about on the same page and he went into better detail than me...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    We should get the country that actually right now wants to be a state, though no one seems to care that they want to be a state...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    We should get the country that actually right now wants to be a state, though no one seems to care that they want to be a state...
    They are already a state unofficially. They just have to coordinate with congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Politicus View Post
    Whom I would vote for is dependent upon your opponents' campaign platforms as well, but let's say you're running against a more traditional Republican, then I'd vote for you in a heartbeat.

Of course, I don't support a flat tax, and I'm a bit curious on how you would pay for your social programs by cutting the corporate tax (for the corporations that meet the requirement), so the economic policies I'm not too crazy about, though the negative income tax system is intriguing.

But social liberalism as a Republican is nice to see, so that's a huge bonus, and I love the emphasis on education.

As for barring any unconstitutional laws regarding the second amendment and guns, I agree with you to some extent; I agree with mandatory background checks, and you didn't state whether you would view those as unconstitutional or not.

I agree with hefty fines and penalties for DUI (be it alcohol or drugs), but I do not agree with on a first offence permanent suspension of the suspect's drivers licence. Nor do I agree with long prison sentences for first offence on getting caught DUI, unless there is damage to human life.

I agree with outreach to other country's to get to know each other, but I don't think they'll be interesting in joining the U.S.
    I haven't exactly run the numbers, but I think the extra pay workers receive (and thus spend/invest) will certainly offset the lack of corporate tax on such companies. This is still just a rough outline of a few of my policies, so if the numbers don't quite balance the budget, then I'll have to make some modifications to taxation and/or spending.

I don't think background checks are unconstitutional, though I am opposed to banning the private sale of firearms (as is currently being proposed). This is more aimed at federal legislation like the so-called "Federal Assault Weapons Ban" or magazine bans. My legislation (if passed) would ensure that taxpayers' dollars (at the state and local level) are not being used to enforce such laws, and that both state and local law enforcement officers will not be allowed to enforce such laws. This effectively leaves their enforcement solely on the shoulders of the federal government. My other proposal would prohibit any such gun control laws from being proposed at the state level or in local governments across the state.

I respect your viewpoint, but I do not think there is any excuse whatsoever for anyone to drink and drive. I think current laws are much too relaxed, letting even repeat offenders off the hook. The reason why so few people take these laws seriously, and thus put everyone's life at risk (including their own), is because they feel as though there are no real consequences for their actions. They know that they'll just get a ticket and a fine, then they'll just do it again next weekend.

Hopefully in time they would learn to see that statehood would be mutually beneficial to both parties. If the people in those countries decide they don't want to become states, then that's their choice and we'll respect that.

Education
    Following my belief that the best defense against tyranny is an educated and armed populace, I support massive reform to Missouri's education system. I support a massive increase in funding for Missouri's public schools. I also support eliminating all political indoctrination from our schools, be it left-wing or right-wing. I believe that one of the most important roles of our education system should be to teach civics and the responsibilities of citizens. I will replace the mandatory single government class from high schools, and replace it with several more specialized mandatory civics classes that students will be required to take. In addition, students should have to learn about the importance of being politically active and of exercising their right to bear arms, as well as their other responsibilities to the state.
    So:

1) Eliminate all political indoctrination in schools.
    2) Create mandatory subjects in schools teaching students that they need to defend their right to bear arms.

Funny. Also it sounds like you want to flood students with a syllabus heavy on civics because it is of personal interest to yourself, regardless of whether it's of interest to the student or useful to them in the pursuit of their career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Are you referring to Albania or Puerto Rico?

So, am I safe assuming this is an April Fools post, or is OP really carrying around this much Intellectual Dishonesty?

In a few years I'll be running for the Missouri General Assembly as a member of the Republican Party. I am devising a very rough outline of my political platform and would like to share it with you guys. I would very much like to hear your thoughts on it, but please remember that this is just a rough outline.

Campaign Finance & Electoral Reform
    I support replacing Missouri's first-past-the-post electoral system with an instant-runoff voting system. In an instant-runoff voting system, individuals can choose as many or as few candidates as they'd like to vote for, and rank them by preference. In addition, I support having publicly funded political campaigns. Public funding of elections will only cost each person about $5 a year, which I believe is a small price to pay. With publicly funded elections and an instant-runoff voting system, Missouri would have more competitive elections and give all candidates an equal opportunity to make their case to their would-be constituents. For presidential elections, I support replacing Missouri's primary system with a caucus system. I believe a caucus system will improve our presidential elections and ensure that the best candidates are chosen by the most passionate and educated citizens.

Civil Liberties
    I have always been a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and have spent the last several years as an official volunteer for the National Rifle Association. I will oppose all attempts to infringe upon your Second Amendment rights. I will also propose legislation that will make it illegal for any state or municipal funds, resources or personnel to be used to enforce unconstitutional gun control laws. I will also fight for legislation that will make it illegal for any elected representative in Missouri, including local officials, to attempt to initiate unconstitutional gun control measures; this will also apply to elected officials at the federal level from Missouri. I will also fight to expand your Second Amendment rights at every turn.

I will fight to repeal Missouri Constitutional Amendment 2 of 2004, which bans marriage between homosexual couples. In addition, I will work towards legalizing civil partnerships for homosexual couples, which isn't unconstitutional under the amendment.

Education

I will also support a program where anyone who meets a certain set of academic criteria will receive a completely publicly subsidized college education. I will also educate children in high schools of alternatives to college, such as apprenticeships. All the while, I will also support the rights of homeschoolers and fight against attempts to infringe upon a responsible parent's right to homeschool their children.

Environment & Infrastructure
    I support requiring hefty fines, community service and jail-time for those caught littering and/or polluting our environment. I also support increasing funding to state-services for inspecting bridges, dams and other infrastructure. I also support the construction of a high-speed rail network across the state of Missouri.

Illegal Substance Laws
    I support a constitutional amendment that would legalize marijuana. With that being said, individuals caught driving under the influence of alcohol, marijuana or illegal drugs will face long prison sentences (along with hefty fines and the permanent loss of their drivers' license) on their first offense.

Healthcare & Welfare
    I will work to implement a publicly funded health insurance option that will be available for individuals who earn less than $20,000 a year. I will also support legislation that would create a system of database sharing between Missouri and other states, to eliminate cross-state welfare fraud.

Statehood Friendship Program
    In order to build closer cultural and political ties with other states, Missouri would begin a cultural and political exchange with the Czech Republic, Ghana and Singapore. We would work to build closer relations between our states and help prepare these states for eventual U.S. statehood. We would share American history and ideals with these people, such as freedom, gun ownership, republicanism and the importance of the Constitution. In return, the people of the Czech Republic, Ghana and Singapore would share with us their own unique cultures and histories with Missourians.

Taxation, Spending and Labor
    I will work towards implementing a flat tax at the state level, supplemented with a negative income tax. I would also work to create provisions that would eliminate all corporate taxes for companies that paid all of their employees at least twice the state's minimum wage. Additionally, I would oppose any attempts at adding sales tax to internet transactions. No individual should be required to join a union or pay union dues in order to hold a job. With that being said, companies shouldn't be able to fire an individual for trying to form a union on their own time.

First of all, the above countries are nations, not "states" in the same sense as Missouri is a state in the U.S.; secondly, it's completely unrealistic to think that they would eventually become U.S. states. Singapore, in particular, is more than content with where it stands now, and your attempt to engage them with your values is laughable; they'd have no interest in anything you're advocating for one of the wealthiest nations on the planet. Singapore has zero interest in engaging with your state, as great as you may think it is.

Edit: Ignoring the (practically non-existent) political feasibility of your overall plan, and leaving Ghana and the Czech Republic aside for a movement, please take some time to educate yourself on Singapore. It is one of the wealthiest countries in the world in terms of G.D.P. per capita, has a productive, growing economy and engaged populace, as well as a unique culture and set of laws which are likely not compatible with American values. Singapore is on the rise; the U.S. government is a bloated entity which burns through its tax revenue. Unless this is an April Fool's joke, your supposed candidacy is another reminder of the laughable nature of U.S. politics.
    Last edited by azzuro; 2013-04-02 at 03:13 AM.