Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Where? Never even heard of them being done where I am.
    been out of school for a few years now but had them in my school in ontario in the GTA

Where? Never even heard of them being done where I am.
    Near Vancouver, BC. We tend to have a one or two of these drills a year.

They don't fire blank rounds in the drills we have. The drills are very relaxed. You're pretty much told what corner of the room to cower in fear in, should an intruder enter the school.

Weird. How long ago was this?

Never had them when I was in grade school and that was during Columbine and Taber.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The lock down drills are pretty new. I don't remember having them till I hit high school. Only one I remember was when we were all joking around in the class room. The teacher told us we couldn't be next to window or we could get shot lol.

This began in 2006 or 2007 for me. It's possible that these drills have been happening for longer and younger grades weren't participating in them.

Whats the big deal? My high school did one a few years back before all the gun control hype now. They made us lock all the doors, sit quiet in a dark room, and the fun part, board up all the doors with desks.

On a side note, they told us if a student is locked outside during a shooting, the teacher isn't supposed to open the door for them, which is a direct violation of the no child left behind act.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lockdown drills are old. The media is just trying to spin them as "shooting drills" I've even had a lowdown drill at college once.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 01:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkwing View Post
    This began in 2006 or 2007 for me. It's possible that these drills have been happening for longer and younger grades weren't participating in them.
    We did lockdown drills a lot more when I was in elementary because our elementary schools are literally right next to houses which meant that any old creep could walk onto campus.

I went to school in a normal area of the world and we had a fire drill once a year.
    Same and the occasional either phoned in bomb scare or someone pulling the fire alarm.
    This new shit is ridiculous.

I remember lockdown/Code Red drills started in 2003-2005 or so for California after a school shooting in either Ohio or California. What happened was all the students panicked at a school shooting resulting in a large number of casualties. As a result, the 'Code Red' protocol was implemented to try to protect students and teachers. You can't really shoot at what you can't see.

We had those back when I attended high school.

We've been having "intruder alert" drills in Canadian schools for as long as I can remember. PA system would signal an intruder alert, students get into the proper position, principle checks to see if doors are locked.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Is it really this common now that we need to teach kids
    No. It's super rare. However, it's in the media and people are afraid of it.

I'm in Southern California so we had fire drills, earthquake drills, and lock down drills lol. about two each a year
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

The drill should simple be to rush the shooter and get him to the ground, sure he might still kill a few kids but if they do nothing and wait for the cops the shooter will surly kill more than a few.

Then of course the news media gets to talk about heroic kids stopping a gunman and that gunman will face trial instead of getting to blow his own brains out.
    Cannot think of a better message to send these wouldbe murderers and I might be considered a bit barbaric for being willing to throw the lives of a few children away for a chance at glory and to send that message to woodbe criminals but the cost is worth it imo.

Besides knowing my kid died a hero trying to prevent the death of others would make me proud, hiding behind a desk waiting to be the next victim not so much.

Besides I remember being in school and little boys can be fearless sadistic little shits, the gunman would most likely be stabbed to death with pencils long before the cops showed up.
    Last edited by skrump; 2013-02-01 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    The drill should simple be to rush the shooter and get him to the ground, sure he might still kill a few kids but if they do nothing and wait for the cops the shooter will surly kill more than a few.

Then of course the news media gets to talk about heroic kids stopping a gunman and that gunman will face trial instead of getting to blow his own brains out.
    Cannot think of a better message to send these wouldbe murderers and I might be considered a bit barbaric for being willing to throw the lives of a few children away for a chance at glory and to send that message to woodbe criminals but the cost is worth it imo.

Besides knowing my kid died a hero trying to prevent the death of others would make me proud, hiding behind a desk waiting to be the next victim not so much.

Besides I remember being in school and little boys can be fearless sadistic little shits, the gunman would most likely be stabbed to death with pencils long before the cops showed up.
    Much better than the current message which is : Go on a massive shoot out and be famous forever...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post

You're joking right? Or just a 13 year old trying to be edgy, one of those OH IF I WAS THERE I WOULD JUST RUN AT THE GUY AND DODGE THE BULLETS AND BEAT HIM DOWN THE KARATE I JUST STARTED LEARNING.

Deleted
    I went to school in a normal area of the world and we had a fire drill once a year.
    Same deal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Apparently there's a high school in Chicago that did a "code red drill", which basically means they locked up all the students in classrooms and fired few blanks in the hallways.
    It sounds like parents were notified in advance, though some said they weren't (maybe email spam folder).

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...s-in-hallways/ <-- this talks about notification
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ll-cary-police <-- this is the actual drill article

I would guess students were notified as well.

I found the drill a little funny in a sad+nervous way.
    Is it really this common now that we need to teach kids (high school, so not actually little kids but 13/14 and up) to get used to a school shooting.
    Why isn't fire alarm practiced with smoke in the halls? or some fire-smell.
    What happens when there are real shots? will students assume it's another drill? Probably not, maybe I'm grabbing for something to find what's wrong with this drill, I kind of don't like it.

'MURICA! Omfg i cant stop laughing about the fact that a country like the usa needs to be prepared to get their schools fucked up by a gunman

Infracted: Please refrain from nation bashing. Furthermore, please refrain from using any derogatory variations of the word "America" (such as the one you used), they're automatically considered to be nation bashing at this point.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-02-01 at 07:58 PM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when Columbine happened, I was in my final year of high school. There weren't any drills at the time for that sort of thing, but soon after I graduated, my younger brother (who was still a student at the time) told me that there was an incident where someone (probably not a student - there was a lot of violence between my school and a rival school in an adjacent suburb) was seen running through the halls with a sword, and after that, they instituted lockdown drills.

Interestingly enough, in 2005, there was a shooting, and a few years later - 2008 I believe - there was a stabbing incident.

It's kind of disturbing to see violence escalating like that.

(Chinguacousy Secondary School, in Brampton, ON, in case anyone was wondering.)