Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Elemnetal: Anotherhelp my DPS thread!

Hi folks.
    Ive spent a lot of time reading many elemental dps tips threads but there's nothing like some personal feedback and u guys helped me loads on resto in the last expansion so here goes:-

Two main topics really - general DPS and Windlord Mel'jaraj (normal) who we cant get passed 3% having tried many tactics so are probably lacking a bit of dps.

Here are some links to my armory page and two recent raids:

Armory
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zagoode/simple

Windlord:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/o...ses&boss=65501

Elegon (from some time ago as had an extended raid break around christmas)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s...fgv/details/4/

I can do some self criticism:
    Im rubbish at refreshing my searing totem - far too much downtime. I need to reconfig my adds to shout at me more

I have never really got the hand of optimising my shocks management. I (mostly) manage to refresh flame shock at the right time except when earth shock comes into play - I just dont get how to time it right so i dont miss flame shock when fulmination comes round (ok, i get that i can shock at 5 stacks etc but just cant get it to work ) The best i get is 75% or so uptime on flame shock.

I could also be better at prepotting. Particularly on Windlord - i seem to spend a couple of seconds at the start of the fight getting into position and firing heroism before i get going which wastes the prepot. Not really sure why

Any help with the above plus general dps increasing tps would be much appreciated. Thanks

Deleted
    Hmm if you can't manage the shock cooldown yet I wouldn't even try going for 4set T14.

Here's a few nods on Windlord:
    - Chain Lightning seems so low on damage, I frequently end up with severely more DPS.
    - Elemental Blast is lower on that fight than primal elementalist thanks to long phase of adds.
    - Echo of the Elements = best sustained AoE.
    - Up to you but I find Totemic Projection + Magma Totem after you've used Fire Ele to be excellent vs AoE fights.
    - Prepot + mid-fight pot is your friend for DPS. Try to time with Ascendance, Heroism, Trinket buffs, etc.
    - Not sure you should use Earthquake on that fight.
    - Your entire raids DPS is a little lower than it should be, particularly the mage.

I'm not too experienced with elegon in addition to it's number inflation.

I could also be better at prepotting. Particularly on Windlord - i seem to spend a couple of seconds at the start of the fight getting into position and firing heroism before i get going which wastes the prepot. Not really sure why

Even though you could improve this, positioning is far more important than a couple of lava bursts with pot up. Just try to set it up before you start the fight.

Im rubbish at refreshing my searing totem - far too much downtime. I need to reconfig my adds to shout at me more
    Would help if you had a UI screenshot since I use heavily self-customised pitbull unit-frames which tracks my totems so I might be different to tracking than most people. It mostly relies on memory, you need to get an addon that tracks the timer and getting used to looking at it every 30 seconds or during a lightning bolt downtime period where you don't need to focus too much on your "rotation" or the boss. After you get the hang of this, start to check it more often like every 15 or so. Eventually you almost become hardwired to know when to look to refresh it. I usually check it very regularly since I'm comfortable with my rotation and keeping my eye on the boss so I look at searing totem often.

I have never really got the hand of optimising my shocks management. I (mostly) manage to refresh flame shock at the right time except when earth shock comes into play - I just dont get how to time it right so i dont miss flame shock when fulmination comes round (ok, i get that i can shock at 5 stacks etc but just cant get it to work ) The best i get is 75% or so uptime on flame shock.
    This, like searing totem is just going to require practice. An addon to track your flame shock is essential though. Check out Endus' guide here on the forums for elemental shock rotation. If you can't master or get used to this fundamental concept then your DPS is always going to be severely subpar to what you might be potentially capable of. My piece of advice would be to practice for a good hour or so on a target dummy then go to an old raid like Firelands 25 with a couple of buddies and practice there and purposely make yourself avoid any mechanics that could kill you, even LFR could be appropiate and try to maintain your flame shock/earth shock well. Practicing on a target dummy then jumping into a normal mode rarely ever works well.

From your armory:
    - Jade Spirit is not enchanted on a sha-touched weapon. Either your low on gold or your tight with your money. It's much better than Windsong.
    - No haste enchant on gloves.
    - Gems = 160 int red, 80int 160haste or mastery orange, 80int 160spirit or hit purple. Pure yellow or blue isn't going to cut it.
    - Either armory is bugged or you don't have a single VP upgraded item. Weapon and Relic is priority to upgrade. If you can get a better weapon in normal modes on a farm regular basis than wait it out until you get it.
    Last edited by mmocd786cabdc9; 2013-02-01 at 02:10 PM.

what me helped a lot is a sound warning when my searing totem expired.

Deleted
    A general DPS guide but it does work.

made by mikepreachwow on youtube, recommend you check him out. Old world first player who now makes guides and helps players.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebria View Post
    what me helped a lot is a sound warning when my searing totem expired.
    After 2 years of wow raiding, I didn't know it was possible to get a sound warning? How?!

Deleted
    You can use sound warnings with Weak Auras or Power Auras.

I use different sound warnings for Lava Surge Proc, 7 Stacks of Lightning shield and Elemental Blast of CD ^^.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I use TellMeWhen to help manage my shocks.

To simplify set-up, here's the string to import a smart Flame Shock / Earth Shock advisor for TellMeWhen. It shows you when to use which shock: It shows Flame Shock if it's duration is 3 sec or less. If Flame Shock has at least 5 sec left and Lightning Shield charges are 6 or 7, it shows Earth Shock; otherwise, it shows nothing.
    ^1^T^STextLayouts^T ^Sicon1^T ^N1^T ^t^N2^T ^t^t^t^SGroups^T ^N1^T ^SPoint^T ^Sx^N-150 ^t^SScale^N1.25 ^SLocked^B ^SOnlyInCombat^B ^SColumns^N3 ^SIcons^T ^N1^T ^SType^Scooldown ^SAlpha^N0.7 ^SName^S8042 ^SSettingsPerView^T ^Sicon^T ^STextLayout^Sicon1 ^STexts^T ^N1^S ^t^t^t^SFakeHidden^B ^SConditions^T ^N1^T ^SType^SDEBUFFDUR ^SChecked^B ^SOperator^S>= ^SUnit^Starget ^SName^S8050 ^SLevel^N5 ^SPrtsBefore^N1 ^t^N2^T ^SType^SBUFFSTACKS ^SChecked^B ^SPrtsAfter^N1 ^SOperator^S>= ^SName^S324 ^SLevel^N6 ^t^Sn^N2 ^t^SEnabled^B ^t^N2^T ^SBuffOrDebuff^SHARMFUL ^SUnit^Starget ^SType^Sconditionicon ^SAlpha^N0.8 ^SName^S8050 ^SSettingsPerView^T ^Sicon^T ^STextLayout^Sicon1 ^STexts^T ^N1^S ^t^t^t^SCustomTex^S8050 ^SFakeHidden^B ^SConditions^T ^N1^T ^SType^SDEBUFFDUR ^SChecked^B ^SOperator^S<= ^SUnit^Starget ^SName^S8050 ^SLevel^N3 ^t^Sn^N1 ^t^SEnabled^B ^t^N3^T ^SType^Smeta ^SIcons^T ^N1^STellMeWhen_Group1_Icon2 ^N2^STellMeWhen_Group1_Icon1 ^t^SSettingsPerView^T ^Sicon^T ^STextLayout^Sicon1 ^t^t^SEnabled^B ^t^t^STree2^b ^STree3^b ^t^t^SVersion^N61103 ^t^N61103^S~`~| ^Sprofile^SEikbayyad~`-~`Lightninghoof ^^

As Kejinx said, you haven't enchanted your weapon with Jade Spirit. This is probably the most important fix you can make. Regardless of the amount of gold you have, you won't see a better weapon any time soon giving you plenty of time to earn back the gold.

And you should definitely not use Earthquake on Windlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Eezagoode View Post
    Hi folks.
    Prepot>BL>Fire Ele>FS and a macro with Stormlash/SWG/Ascendance is what i do and just LvB my way into position. If no BL at start then obv just dont BL.
    do what you feel.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irisia View Post

And you should definitely not use Earthquake on Windlord.
    Why shouldn't he? There's in total 10 targets, and 4 of them are cc'ed. So that makes it 6 targets. When 5+ targets, according to all guides I've read it's:
    1. Magma Totem
    2. Earthquake
    3. Chain Lightning

Can you tell me why you shouldn't use Earthquake?

Because from my experience, Earthquake won’t be worth it until to reach a situation where your chain lightning can’t hit any more target due to it being a cleave, but earthquake can as it's an aoe. Even on 4 targets, my chain lightning does the same or more damage than earthquake would do on 6, and earthquake has almost double the cast time.

Furthermore, to make earthquake worth it, you want the mobs to stay in the aoe for the full duration. Blademasters will charge out of the aoe on regular a basis, butchering those earthquakes even more.