Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Using the OP's example it would be impossible to intentionally change history, but it could be un-intentionally changed without creating either a paradox or causality loop.
    I fully agree with this. If there is but one timeline and not several, going back in time to change something and changing it would remove the need to go back in time in the first place thus you wouldn't go back to change it.

    However, if you say made a timemachine that sent you to a random timeperiod where you have no intentions of changing anything or going there in the first place, you could change anything as you would be going there anyway, in the future that is.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Using the OP's example it would be impossible to intentionally change history, but it could be un-intentionally changed without creating either a paradox or causality loop.

    Anyway, even if time travel were possible I believe it should be prohibited under pain of death; It's far too dangerous.
    I agree, its a free to power tool for any purpose
    - Thanks Axalicious for this awesome sig.

  3. #23
    Why have we never seen anyone from the future? Because you cannot go back in time.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Time dilation is a means of altering time, and is a real thing. The closer you get to light speed relative to everything else, the more the speed of time for everything else seems to speed up. So if you could get in a spacecraft in a stable orbit around say a black hole, moving near light speed, you could watch centuries or millennia on Earth go by.
    yeah going forward in time is in theory completely possible given the means, but we're to focus on going back in time
    - Thanks Axalicious for this awesome sig.

  5. #25
    Going forward in time is not even time traveling, it's simply just "freezing" yourself or slowing down time so that less time has passed for yourself , so you basically end up in the future

  6. #26
    You can not go forward or back in time because it does not exist. It's simply a manmade construct.

    You as a human are constrained by the universe you are in and the observable laws it contains.

    You yourself could not go back to a different point in the lifespan of the universe but perhaps if there was someway to move the universe itself or step outside it then maybe you're getting somewhere but still a long way from what you want.

  7. #27
    Immortal Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    This thread is going to be incomprehensible inside 3 pages, guarantee it.
    hedpiubsidgbousvdov4pyvpifdbvyhfdbåp

    Sorry, I had to.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 06:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bokor View Post
    You can not go forward or back in time because it does not exist. It's simply a manmade construct.

    You as a human are constrained by the universe you are in and the observable laws it contains.

    You yourself could not go back to a different point in the lifespan of the universe but perhaps if there was someway to move the universe itself or step outside it then maybe you're getting somewhere but still a long way from what you want.
    You can make time pass slower for yourself with time dilation. All within the laws of the universe, and there's evidence to show that it's possible.

    Time is just the name we use as a tl;dr for the law of thermodynamics.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  8. #28
    I alter time constantly, and you can't prove that I dont!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    I alter time constantly, and you can't prove that I dont!
    as crazy as it may sound, yes you could
    Last edited by LuxyEU; 2013-02-01 at 05:21 PM.
    - Thanks Axalicious for this awesome sig.

  10. #30
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    You should probably take a peek at Sean Carroll's Rules for Time Travelers. (And if you have an hour to kill, there's an in-depth lecture which explains it all in detail.)

  11. #31
    While we're on the subject of time travel, john titor http://www.johntitor.strategicbrains.com/ is probably the most convincing one to date that I know of.

  12. #32
    Stood in the Fire Management's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    462
    We don't yet know nearly enough about the complexity of time to assume it wouldn't be possible traveling in time. I don't see a problem traveling forward in time, however traveling backward in time seems disputable.

  13. #33
    The Lightbringer Payday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    [Blue State], USA
    Posts
    3,264
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    what if you go back in time, save your loved one, than go to your past self and tell him that on X day he has to go back in time and save his loved one?
    Why would you have to save her again?

  14. #34
    Timelines is such a cheap explanation to a real paradox, doubt the universe will create a whole new universe simply because you spit that gum on a different place.
    Either way, even by those standards yes, it is impossible to change anything as you alter a different one and maybe return to a different one, the original you were trying to change is unchanged.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Timelines is such a cheap explanation to a real paradox, doubt the universe will create a whole new universe simply because you spit that gum on a different place.
    Either way, even by those standards yes, it is impossible to change anything as you alter a different one and maybe return to a different one, the original you were trying to change is unchanged.
    if you truly understood the multiverse theory, along with the different levels of it, you would know that a different world isn't created because time travel happened. it continues to exist and branch out infinitely for every possible difference.

  16. #36
    Mechagnome Vinni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    In your browser
    Posts
    652
    I just simply don't believe time travel will ever exist. Call me ignorant but the way I see it, time isn't something that can be altered in any way, rewound or sped up.
    ''The only true failure is when you stop trying''.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrias-Oaks View Post
    if you truly understood the multiverse theory, along with the different levels of it, you would know that a different world isn't created because time travel happened. it continues to exist and branch out infinitely for every possible difference.
    There are different theories and even that one is a cheap way to deal with paradoxes.

  18. #38
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    I just simply don't believe time travel will ever exist. Call me ignorant but the way I see it, time isn't something that can be altered in any way, rewound or sped up.
    Time is already not constant everywhere in the universe.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    I just simply don't believe time travel will ever exist. Call me ignorant but the way I see it, time isn't something that can be altered in any way, rewound or sped up.
    except the part "future time travel" already exists, and has been proven. it's going backwards that's the problem.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post
    I just simply don't believe time travel will ever exist. Call me ignorant but the way I see it, time isn't something that can be altered in any way, rewound or sped up.
    Can be slown down by in my view it has to do with atomic interaction that slow down entropy, not an actual fabric of time...
    That is not just an idea, it does happen and you have to account for that with gps satelites, there is a time difference.

    But i too share the idea that one cannot travel in time, specially backwards

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •