Page 1 of 2
LastLast

CPU Fan Upgrade, i5 3570k + Asus P8z77-v lx + high profile ram.

Hey all some whining has started and i suspect it is the intel stock fan, or my graphic card, i needed to upgrade the stock fan anyway so i'm wondering what fan is the best/will fit.

Specs as mentioned in title;
    CPU: i5 3570k
    mobo: asus p8z77-v Lx
    Ram: Corsair High profile vengance 4x4gb

Since all my ram slots are in use, and HP i know i could have trouble with certain cpu coolers, so which would fit/be worth the money.

Also; do i need thermal paste or would the fan come with some attached like intel stock fans. If i do need thermal paste, which would you suggest?
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2013-02-01 at 01:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    First, we would need o also know your case. Some cases cannot fit certain coolers.

Second, thermal paste should come with a cooler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Well! Just watched a bit of a review (TTL review of the Corsair 300R) and at about 13:55 he mentions you can fit a Noctua NH-D14 in the case, which is a fairly large air cooler. He also shows you cannot fit an H100 in the case (without modding), though you can fit an H-80.

So now it boils down to price. Seeing as the D14 would fit, I would recommend that. If you want something cheaper, there is always that option too.

If you are just looking to get a decent cooler a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo will fit in your case.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Cheers guys but would both of them fit? the Noctua NH-D14 and cooler master hyper 212 evo, (because of my high profile ram) or would i need to get different ram.

The Hyper 212 Evo is a bit smaller than the NH-D14 and you have the option to move the fan a bit upwards if necessary. The NH-D14 is a better cooler though but I'm not sure if it will fit properly.

Your motherboard is listed as compatible on their site:
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=c...n#LGA1155_Asus

Caution:
    The NH-D14 is a big cooler that extends over the first RAM slots on most mainboards. The cooler offers sufficient clearance for all standard size memory modules, but you won’t be able to use memory modules higher than 44mm.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry about before, I wasn't thinking about the high profile RAM. *bad dude*

I wrote the above post not long after I woke up, so I will go with that... Tired dude makes bad recommendations.

Just a bit of warning if you get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo you will run into the same problem with the ram as with the NH-D14. I'm currently using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and the same corsair vengeance ram and ended up having to move my ram into slots 2 and 4 to get it to fit. Can I ask why you went with 4x4g ram instead of 2x8g? Just curious.
    Last edited by jholdaway; 2013-02-01 at 07:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another good option is the NZXT Havik 120 or 140.

The 120 likely would fit better.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    Just a bit of warning if you get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo you will run into the same problem with the ram as with the NH-D14. I'm currently using the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and the same corsair vengeance ram and ended up having to move my ram into slots 2 and 4 to get it to fit. Can I ask why you went with 4x4g ram instead of 2x8g? Just curious.
    You didn't move them then. You inserted them where they are supposed to be inserted if you are running with 2 sticks. Channel 0,2 can cause instability. Look in your MB manual if you don't believe me. If the Noctua don't fit because the RAM is not properly installed, then I would install it properly and have no problems. Still wouldn't buy a huge chunk of metal with the ugliest fan colors ever though. I'd go for a Watercooler with LED lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    You didn't move them then. You inserted them where they are supposed to be inserted if you are running with 2 sticks. Channel 0,2 can cause instability. Look in your MB manual if you don't believe me. If the Noctua don't fit because the RAM is not properly installed, then I would install it properly and have no problems. Still wouldn't buy a huge chunk of metal with the ugliest fan colors ever though. I'd go for a Watercooler with LED lighting.
    Most people don't want to spend $300+ for water cooling.

True, was talking about me. H100i has a LED logo on it making it quite sexy as well. Good budget LED light?

15+ Year Old Account
    Corsair H80 will be easiest if you have space. Won't interfere with the RAM sticks at all
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Corsair H80 will be easiest if you have space. Won't interfere with the RAM sticks at all
    Should make that a H80i, it is a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Should make that a H80i, it is a lot better.
    I agree, H80 has a fair amount of problems and the H80i is pretty damn good in its own right.
    "A flower.

There are also the NZXT Kraken X40, and X60, which would both fit in the 300R. Corsair is also releasing the H90 and H110 to compete with the new Kraken closed loop coolers, which are also Asetek.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    There are also the NZXT Kraken X40, and X60, which would both fit in the 300R. Corsair is also releasing the H90 and H110 to compete with the new Kraken closed loop coolers, which are also Asetek.
    To add to this, TTL gave both the X60 and H110 Gold medals and the X40 and H90 Silver medals.

"A flower.

Sweclockers disliked the X40 pretty much.

Nackdelar:

Medioker prestanda i jämförelse med konkurrenterna
    Endast en medföljande fläkt
    Bitvis skakig mjukvara
    Priset
    Cons:

Mediocre performance in comparison to its competitors
    Only one supplied fan
    Bitwise shaky software
    The price
    The competitor Corsair Hydro H80i offers both better cooling performance and lower temperatures than Kraken X40, which should sting extra given that Corsair unit is slightly cheaper. Unfortunately NZXT drop more points on a shaky and incomplete software portion, an area where the Corsairs counterpart Link2 feels far more polished and flexible.

Our high expectations of Kraken X40 was not met. The model is far too expensive for how it performs and in the current situation with an overly shaky software. However, we see potential in the fourth-generation Asetek water cooler, where it with more polished software and the right pricing can be a platform to be reckoned with in the future.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-02 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I checked you can remove the custom high profile over the top heat spreaders off any ddr3 ram without any worry about the ram overheating. Ram overheating hasn't been an issue since ddr2.
    Then its a case of picking any air cooler you so wish.