Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Depens on the profession (class) that you play. A ranger won't be as reliant on movement (other than move out of the bad stuff) and twitch play as say a Thief would. A thief really depends on movement, dodging, and escapability in order to be successful. To hit a target is not based on a dice roll (there are no +hit and +accuracy stats), it's based on your position and your targets position. You can move away from slow moving projectiles rather easily.
    Yeah that's what I liked about the whole no avoidance stat thing. Aside from that (I would say that's a pretty big pro) thanks for the response.

Though, I wonder if any attack can be dodged, aside from something that's more of an AoE spell. Like fast projectiles
    "Do we gain more power in order to fight, or do we fight in order to gain more power?"-Some badass

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyCrown View Post
    Yeah that's what I liked about the whole no avoidance stat thing. Aside from that (I would say that's a pretty big pro) thanks for the response.

Though, I wonder if any attack can be dodged, aside from something that's more of an AoE spell. Like fast projectiles
    well if you time it right you can dodge it by using the dodge skill. moving out of the way of fast projectiles is probably not doable (unless you happen to be lucky with your movement). keep in mind that there is still tab target in this game, so if you are targeted by a ranger/warrior/thief using a shortbow/pistol/rifle then they will hit you if you are in the range of the weapon unless you go behind an object or you use the dodge ability

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyCrown View Post
    I haven't tried out GW2 yet (Yeah I know >_>) but I was a bit curious about the twitch thing. Is GW2's combat really twitch based (For PvE I hope more so than PvP)? If so this would very much push me over to buy this game.
    Vis-a-vis classical or true MMORPGs such as Everquest, Vanguard or FF11? Yes, without question.

Compared to new era MMOs such as Warcraft, Rift or The Old Republic? Yes, but in ways that skew GW2 closer to action games like Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Kingdoms of Amular and so on.

Most attacks in GW2 are effectively skill shots. There is no GCD limiter. Only animation frames, similar to the aforementioned Devil May Cry or Dark Souls.

There are hard CDs on some skills. Yet no class is without an infinitely useable, auto firing [if you chose] skill. Can fire or swing without a target too. Can even turn off tab target and free swing as in those more action orientated games above.

Nearly all attacks or skills can be used while on the move as well.

Combat emphasizes timely knockbacks, interrupts, stuns and dodges. Many of which are very quick-- like 0.5 a second to react. Similar to Guild Wars 1 in that regard.

Combat statistics like damage, defense and crit are greatly de-emphasized. So much so it hardly makes a difference if one shows up to a dungeon party in full "glass cannon" or "full tank" gear provided they have the reaction times to keep pace.

The only metric that seems remarkably noticeable is health pool. Mostly the game is a centered around movement, positioning and timely skill use [like a knockback] ala a MOBA or your Dark/Demon Souls of the gaming world.

Was also wondering if playing any of the classes feels like a hack n slash style of game play. . .that would be a huge pro for me ;~;
    Somewhat. Encounters are structured closer to Diablo than World of Warcraft. The volume and frequency of combat in GW2 is very high.

There are no mounts, so without resorting to creative escape, one is forced to fight quite often. Similarly encounters follow Diablo/ARPG/Hack n Slash patterns where by one typically fights a few peons. Run into rare or champion, or as GW2 terms it, veteran and champion packs of of mundane mobs. Like a Diablo or Torchlight.

Loot is keyed to you, again like an ARPG. Small areas of the map are densely packed with mobs or a kick off event which you can run for a little chest or reward. Kinda like a Dungeon Siege or Torchlight 2.

Guild Wars 2 is also highly repetitious over a given area. That is to say you are suppose to desire running Kessex Hills for the monster variety, atmosphere and so on-- just as one would run Travincal or an area in Darksiders 2.

The game is fairly "action-y" and combat heavy to a greater degree than many other MMOs.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-01 at 10:43 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pros = Artwork, graphics, classes and even the story is well done. Exploration is outstanding as the game world is huge! The "event" system is great and crafting is one of the best I have seen.

Cons = Lack of a good dungeon finder tool such as what WoW has. I know some will disagree with this, but it is still how I feel. Lack of color choices when it comes to chat functions. Esp guild chat. Really bad.

All in all a great game and well worth the purchase price. But it still trails WoW when it comes to the best MMO.

I don't exactly agree with the "looks empty" comment reemi made. Now, I have played a few MMOs and I always pick as high population on my servers as possible. Usually, I am rather used to just 5-20 people in the same zone as me, and most of the time I see none of them because we are in separate areas, doing our own things.

Guild Wars 2 certainly feels more crowded per zone than other games (and I have noticed quite a bit more players than I am used to as well in zones on my server (Desolation EU) ), but what really makes the "crowded" impression stick is how everyone flock to events. It just makes it feel like there are always other people around.

That combined with the fact that helping each other is basically encouraged by the experience system, and no one has to fight for any mob or node EVER, it just feels like the game is heavily encouraging a friendly attitude. It is just nice to chat and help with random people again, mostly because they just don't annoy you, and you'd want to thank that guy or that woman for just stopping and killing that mob that nearly killed you.

In any other MMO I played (and I have played 5 other ones), the other player would just usually run past, not really caring. >_<

Deleted
    Pros:
    No subfee
    Buy gems for gold, dont need to spend IRL currency
    Pve events every month
    A big world to explore
    Giant wars to defend your server in wvwvw
    Lots of customization options
    I guess jumping puzzles is a fun idea, never tried them though :P

Cons:
    No viable competitive pvp
    Neglection to spvp in terms of updates
    Company principle on no hotfixes, leaving bugs in place for much longer than needed
    Still too many childhood bugs left since beta
    Company lacks proper communication to it's playerbase, with long wait on updates and no communication it's way frustrating most of the time

To me the cons are over the pros at this point, I have found joy in another game atm leaving GW2 on the shelf. But there will be updates hopefully, and then I will try it out a little again... since I already bought the game for a onetime fee

The only real con for me is the quality of the dungeons. It really does not feel as good as it should be and most fights are lack luster, it has some great moments in the dungeons but they were few and far between. Also outside of WvWvW the pvp is just standard mmo pvp, which honestly imo is about as bad as it gets.

Deleted
    I agree with many of the Pro's been told and can sympathize with some of the Cons as well.

One other Pro is you don't have to either level up nor grind PvP gear in order to play sPvP or WvWvW.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodeus View Post
    Pro :Good leveling experience
    Nice action based combat system
    Cons: No real endgame PvE content
    Which means you should enjoy every minute of your leveling experience. Do not play this game as if you are leveling up your third hunter in WoW. You will regret it.

No real endgame PvE content is actually a Pro for me since I'm sick of grinds, and end-game is just that. So if the leveling is the game, then as limited as that may seem for some, that means the time I do play is a blast. Indeed, it is, and together with a one time fee allows you to play the game casually. GW2 is very casual friendly (a Pro).

My biggest Con in GW2 is I miss my WoW friends. I normally don't easily connect to strangers in MMORPG because I know it is just something probably rather temporary, so who cares. In GW2 I try different because I see myself playing the game long term. Thus far it seems rather shallow. I'm in a guild with always 10+ people online but there just doesn't seem much social interaction, and I miss that because in WoW I've always played in two types of guilds: the small ones, where I considered (nearly) everyone a friend (e.g. my 1st guild in GW2 is a small PvP guild with WoW friends but it is dead cause everyone moved on) and the big leveling guilds (where someone just talks in public and you reply or vice versa and you learn to know people like that). However it also isn't some kind of requirement because you can just play with whomever you meet. I just really miss my best friend in WoW, we were supposed to level up a char in GW2 and he bailed due to RL

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 05:36 PM ----------

Regarding the clothing options the inks are aplenty, and the ability to customize the looks with the inks works very well. There also seems transmog available, I don't know how it exactly works. I'm not (yet?) bored with cloth customization at all. But I can't easily use my RP clothing set (which I bought with gems) and it won't work in combat so that's a bit of a bummer.

The default keybinds aren't good enough btw, but that's a problem I have with nearly every game. For example the mesmer execute abilities are F1-F4 and the elementalist attunements (similar to weapon swap with other classes) are F1-F4 as well and those are common keys to use. The amount of space between 1 and F1 is too high even on my gaming keyboard. At worst I'd use CDs there, but since I have a Naga, in a game like WoW I just use that instead. I haven't bound my Naga yet (remember the 1-12 mouse buttons on side of Naga register by Windows as key presses) because its just not required.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cons:
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR

oh and DR.

It's far too limiting to treat as an actual MMO, funny part is grind is required for pretty much anything in the game yet you aren't allowed to grind.

Deleted
    + Jumping puzzles

- Hard jumping puzzles xD

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 10:32 PM ----------

And trading post

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Cons:
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR
    DR

oh and DR.

It's far too limiting to treat as an actual MMO, funny part is grind is required for pretty much anything in the game yet you aren't allowed to grind.
    Why do you hate Divinity's Reach?

Deleted
    EDIT: Moved this post to the thread "So now that you've had a little time to gather your thoughts", since it seemed to fit better there
    Last edited by mmoc6017cc0f7a; 2013-02-03 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Misplaced post

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Why do you hate Divinity's Reach?
    I think he is talking about diminishing returns, the game is full of various types.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I think he is talking about diminishing returns, the game is full of various types.
    pretty sure he knows that

con: DoT management system from the last decade.

when a shitty diablo-clone thats over 6-years old manages dots in a better way then you do, you fucked up.
    Last edited by mordale; 2013-02-03 at 01:31 AM.

PROs:

1) Easy peasy lemon squeezy
    2) Dynamic events are at least an attempt at something different
    3) No subscription fee (if you are broke and cheap and find gaming expensive)
    4) You will find yourself outside more, as the game gets old fast

CONS:

1) Easy peasy lemon squeezy
    2) Questing, even dynamic questing, still pretty boring
    3) No subscription fee means some lamo mechanics (mystic chests, money sinks) that make you want to go to cash shop
    4) Game gets old fast, not really even worth $60. Wait for $30 special...

Pros:
    No monthly fee, you can have long stretches of inactivity between content patches and not have to pay for it
    Easy to level, can progress from 1 to 80 on drops and quest reward gear
    No such thing as a tagging a mob, everyone participating gets credit
    Rewards you for exploring
    Crafting has alot of built in conveniences, and is the current gold standard on how to design a crafting system

Cons
    PvE Content is finite, once completed, you feel like there is less to do than comparable MMOs
    Gear doesn't matter by design, progression may feel lacking
    PvP battlegrounds are very generic and lack any variety in objective
    No mods
    No raids (some may see these last two as a plus, mileage may vary)

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugor View Post
    Pros:
    Crafting has alot of built in conveniences, and is the current gold standard on how to design a crafting system
    You think so? Some features of the system were nice, like being able to swap between professions at will for a small fee. Overall I thought the crafting system was very slow and painfully grindy. The ability to add the stats you want on your item were also nice but i wouldn't call this crafting system the gold standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatter View Post
    You think so? Some features of the system were nice, like being able to swap between professions at will for a small fee. Overall I thought the crafting system was very slow and painfully grindy. The ability to add the stats you want on your item were also nice but i wouldn't call this crafting system the gold standard.
    I will preface by saying I'm not a big fan of crafting in general. But the GW2 crafting was probably the most tedious I have ever done. And the only point of it is to level up your character as the stuff you craft is garbage. But if you hate GW2 combat so much that you will endure that horrible crafting, then it is just time to give up and move on to the next game.

While the crafting wasn't the best, it wasn't that bad either, certainly better than a lot of crafting I've done in a lot of the major mmos I've played.