Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Some of the most complex fights I ever did in WoW require no CC and not really a trinity either, imo a-net isn't setting themselves out to make difficult/challenging content or they don't know how to.

When I was playing there was no open world PvP. They said Mists was going to be such but it turned out an insane zerg fest. I am not sure if it's still a zergfest as I didn't play the game for ages but if it is here is one more con:

-no open world pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Problem is that the speed boost is most useful/desirable when you are getting 100% complete or unlocking WPs. Travel in the game isn't too bad once you have WPs unlocked.

The tedious slog to get WPs a second, third, fourth or eighteenth time is utterly painful. There is no real way to speed it up the fourth or seventh time either.

Pretty much need as many WPs unlocked as possible to actually play the game with friends too.
    I like mounts (out of combat). Something to collect and the speed boost definitely comes in handy.

As a quick fix for alts, I would add a Waypoint Mind Meld to the gem store. Use it on a character and they get all of the waypoints from other characters on the account.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 03:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    The biggest con for is that pve (apart from high lvl fract) is too easy, world dragons are killed by auto attacking for 10 minutes and maybe a heal once every 2 minutes, but they seem that they took notice of this and impreved some of the bosses especially grenth in cursed shore, sadly many people will whine that grenth is too hard without even bothering to kill shades .
    The problem is the scaling with the numbers. Try Shatterer with 5 or 10 people and you have to work. You need to execute the strategy or you will wipe. The same with Balthezar (or whatever his name is). Another awesome fight. I would love to be able to have an instanced version of these fights with a guild group. Limited number of people, tougher fight and better chance at higher rewards.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Use it on a character and they get all of the waypoints from other characters on the account.
    Then the game is arguably headed to P2W. Since this game relies heavily on exploration and map completion is very important, being able to buy 20% map completion is pretty absurd. Buying something to help you physically discover it faster is a different story, since you still have to go do it. Also, the idea was tied to already earning it on another character. Those two principles together make it pretty fair.

Being able to instantly have something completed for money, in this game at least, is as P2W as you can get.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Being able to instantly have something completed for money, in this game at least, is as P2W as you can get.
    P2W implies that you're getting a competitive advantage over someone else. Winning implies that someone else is losing. The community in general is fine with stuff that you can use to bypass time consuming activities as long as it only affects your solo experience.

Deleted
    a massive con for me became the deleveling when entering a low level zone.

at first i loved it since i could do the zone as it should be experienced. but after a while it gets quite annoying since really simple enemies take too much time to defeat each time.

Then the game is arguably headed to P2W. Since this game relies heavily on exploration and map completion is very important, being able to buy 20% map completion is pretty absurd. Buying something to help you physically discover it faster is a different story, since you still have to go do it. Also, the idea was tied to already earning it on another character. Those two principles together make it pretty fair.

The thing is that a person would already have the waypoints, just not on the same character. For example, if I have a character with 20% map completion and buy the mind meld. I could use it on a different character and that character would get the waypoints that the first character has. I have already explored the regions so I am not getting anything that I have not already explored. You are not buying discovery, just buying what you have already discovered.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 08:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Heh. I'm pretty sure Shatterer can be done solo. There's really not much to the fight, he doesn't even move or directly attack you!
    You definitely can't. He tombs people in ice. Those tombs need to be destroyed in a certain time. I think there are 5 tombs. You also need to kill the adds, avoid the shards and other things. With the zerg, people don't notice. Try it with 3 and it's a certain wipe because you all get entombed. The thing is, it would be really easy to tune the fight up a bit for an organised guild. e.g. Make the adds a priority.

Pro: Helping other players is encouraged and rewarded
    RETH

Con: No class roles means battles turn into -> Drop AOE heal -> Stay out of red circles -> spam attacks -> rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2013-02-06 at 02:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Con: No class roles means battles turn into -> Drop AOE heal -> Stay out of red circles -> spam attacks -> rinse and repeat.
    No classes? I think you have the wrong game.

GW2 has:
    Engineers
    Necromancers
    Thieves
    Elementalists
    Warriors
    Rangers
    Mesmers
    Guardians

They all have different abilities, strengths, weaknesses and play wildly different from each other.
    Valar morghulis

All related to what I want/wanted from the game:

-Pro:
    The harder jumping puzzles are great;
    Character movement is smooth and responsive;
    Sophisticated pvp combat (combos / every little thing counts / dodge makes outplaying possible);
    World vs world gives you some bad ass moments like doing some ninja treb killing squads, and it's really adicting;
    As many have said, the way the game is designed and the way that aNet handles bans everywhere makes so that people rage,trash talk and troll waaaay less than the usual stuff we see nowadays. It is really refreshing to see cooperation in WvW even in harsh moment, instead of the usual "GG you all suck", since on the next time you log in you will still play with the same people.

-Cons:
    A lot of things related to PvP that aNet is already aware (no dueling, better team matching system, ...);
    Some crafting discilplines are way harder to level than others;
    Personal stories and lore in general (on your personal story you will find the most cheesy and uninspired moments of the game);
    PvE is boring (imo) like in any other MMO, bosses are usually too easy or "cheesable".←lack experience on this topic
    The cool looking stuff is gated untill max level / near max level. Costs too much gold or karma or whatever to build a good looking set (imo);
    Things you would expect as free are not because of no monthly fee (bag slot, only 5 characters slot).

-Super pros:
    Intant max lvl pvp, makes it easy to test what class is better for your playstile, to try new classes;
    No monthly fee!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Porco View Post
    All related to what I want/wanted from the game:

-Pro:
    The harder jumping puzzles are great;
    Character movement is smooth and responsive;
    Sophisticated pvp combat (combos / every little thing counts / dodge makes outplaying possible);
    World vs world gives you some bad ass moments like doing some ninja treb killing squads, and it's really adicting;
    As many have said, the way the game is designed and the way that aNet handles bans everywhere makes so that people rage,trash talk and troll waaaay less than the usual stuff we see nowadays. It is really refreshing to see cooperation in WvW even in harsh moment, instead of the usual "GG you all suck", since on the next time you log in you will still play with the same people.

-Cons:
    A lot of things related to PvP that aNet is already aware (no dueling, better team matching system, ...);
    Some crafting discilplines are way harder to level than others;
    Personal stories and lore in general (on your personal story you will find the most cheesy and uninspired moments of the game);
    PvE is boring (imo) like in any other MMO, bosses are usually too easy or "cheesable".←lack experience on this topic
    The cool looking stuff is gated untill max level / near max level. Costs too much gold or karma or whatever to build a good looking set (imo);
    Things you would expect as free are not because of no monthly fee (bag slot, only 5 characters slot).

-Super pros:
    Intant max lvl pvp, makes it easy to test what class is better for your playstile, to try new classes;
    No monthly fee!
    the cool looking stuff is gated? sorry what is so SUPER AWESOME about cursed shore?
    i mean really at low level you already get:

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay-to-win....what, exactly? What are you winning?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    P2W implies that you're getting a competitive advantage over someone else. Winning implies that someone else is losing. The community in general is fine with stuff that you can use to bypass time consuming activities as long as it only affects your solo experience.
    These are outdated concepts of the term 'P2W' which is no longer defined by the literal meaning of 'win'. This isn't exactly news.

In a game where one of the main objectives is map completion, being able to instantly have a large portion of that done for you and thus enabling an easier time getting the rest of them, is gaining an unfair advantage. And 'only if it affects solo play'? Wtf? GW2 arguably has nothing that isn't just solo play. Honestly no MMO has anything that directly affects someone else the way you want to use it, unless it's PvP related. Since GW2 balances that already, it clearly can't be like that.

If you want to get technical, having all of the PvP waypoints means that you can avoid combat with others on your alts and that removes their chance to fight you for those waypoints. There, it affected someone else and is bad.

Give me a break. We all know that negating a large purpose of a game through a cash payment, regardless of whether you've done it before is ridiculous. What's to say they shouldn't be able to just pay to be level 80 as well? Maybe they should be able to pay to have all the dye packs their main has, negating their need to collect them again or get them from the AH. That doesn't affect anyone and they surely didn't 'win' anything. It's fine if things like this are implemented as a game system to every player, making dyes account wide would be awesome, but to have the feature behind a paywall is exactly what P2W entails now.

It's extremely alarming the lack of principles of gamer these days and the willingness to roll over and let companies do what they want. ArenaNet isn't implementing this, so it's not a slight on them, but the wanton abiilty to defend pay for advantage concepts and/or poor development these days just astounds me.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by syom View Post
    the cool looking stuff is gated? sorry what is so SUPER AWESOME about cursed shore?
    i mean really at low level you already get:
    I meant the cool looking sets and weapons, sorry.

And also, why the hell they insist in giving you that horrid pirate hat in every dungeon?
    Last edited by Porco; 2013-02-06 at 04:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get off the high-horse before you hurt yourself. Seriously, you sound a little ridiculous.
    Get off the insult train, it's immature and not productive. I'm free to have my view that overall gamers have become a sad bunch. If you are personally offended by that, it's not by my intentions. Grow up.

Pay to Win isn't limited by your individual definitions, sorry. A poll done on these forums was all over the place. So it's safe to say that the definition has changed and grown recently.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    oh you meant gear well in that case you totally right! =)

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 05:30 PM ----------

Get off the insult train, it's immature and not productive. I'm free to have my view that overall gamers have become a sad bunch. If you are personally offended by that, it's not by my intentions. Grow up.

Pay to Win isn't limited by your individual definitions, sorry. A poll done on these forums was all over the place. So it's safe to say that the definition has changed and grown recently.
    lol i just read this and you are so contradicting yourself xD!

"get of the insult train, it's immature and not productive!" and then immediately you start bashing the "overall gamer" as a sad bunch XD
    do you take yourself serieusly?

10+ Year Old Account
    lol i just read this and you are so contradicting yourself xD!

"get of the insult train, it's immature and not productive!" and then immediately you start bashing the "overall gamer" as a sad bunch XD
    do you take yourself serieusly?
    Social commentary is now akin to insults? Was there some new dynasty of Political Correctness that was ushered in while I slept last night? Like I said, if you are personally offended by me commenting that a group of people is trending to have less principles then you should evaluate yourself instead of thinking I'm insulting you or anyone.
    Yes, but you're just trying too hard. You're grasping at straws to find some way to make this suggestion out to be bad just for the sake of doing it, pretty much.
    Just for the sake of doing it? You mean I'm disagreeing with an idea and presenting reasons why? You mean like what we do on discussion forums? I guess since that is grasping at straws and there's no reason to do it, you should probably delete your account and petition to have internet forums closed permanently.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    again: "get of the insult train, it's immature and not productive!" and then i read this: you should probably delete your account and petition to have internet forums closed permanently. i geuss that is not an insult in any way or form right? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    again: "get of the insult train, it's immature and not productive!" and then i read this: you should probably delete your account and petition to have internet forums closed permanently. i geuss that is not an insult in any way or form right? lol
    Considering it was a direct response to something completely unrelated and you are clearly taking it out of context intentionally without reading my post or their post, no...it's not an insult. Please try again.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 11:56 AM ----------

Your reasons why have all been - to be frank - awful. You keep trying to present some kind of "unfair advantage" or "affects other players" but haven't been able to articulate WHY at all. It's not a discussion if you can't discuss the how's and why's of your stance.
    To be frank, your opinion doesn't make something a fact. You disagree, great...move on. Continuing to directly insult me and give me childish snipes in closing remarks doesn't do you any favors or lend any more weight to your disagreement.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't handle being disagreed with or asked to present better arguments and think that those things are "insults", then I don't know what to tell you.
    Please explain to me how this:
    Also, take a deep breath and relax. Come back when you've rejoined the land of the sane, you're just off the deep end right now.
    is what you just claimed.

Oh right, It's not. In case you feel like responding to try and warrant an infraction, just because you're feeling like it, I'll put you on ignore and save us both trouble. This thread can no go back to the pros and cons.

Moderators, sorry for the response to the obvious provocations presented by this person. I'll move along now.
    BAD WOLF