Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't understand how people can put their pets to sleep.. especially if the pet is just old and isn't as active as it used to be. 12 years isn't even that old for a poodle, they can live up to 20 years if you get lucky.

So don't prepare for anything, take it to a vet, get it checked out. I'd never put my dog to sleep unless he will die in an hour and is in a lot of pain and there is nothing to be done (incurable disease or something)

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i can't bear the thought of losing my dog.....yet he's 12 years old now. he sleeps a lot. he no longer runs like he used to. he has trouble keeping his footing. how do i prepare for his..........passing? the family is talking of putting him down.
    Your dog won't be suffering anymore. It's lived a very healthy, happy 12 years with your care and love. Give him the best last meal you can think of. Also plan on getting another dog, it's not to make you forget about your previous dog but it could help you cope quicker

I feel your pain Bread, I too am in this situation. My Horse Booboo has to be put down very soon and I tell you something... I'm totally and utterly dreading it. As much as I love him and don't want to lose him I know it has to be done as he's in alot of pain due to his buggered leg and it will not get better... I know I have some time with my boy, we've booked the vet to come in April but it dosn't make it any easier... All you really can do is spend as much time as you can with your dog, smother it with affection and when the day does come don't be afraid to cry. You are losing a dearly loved family member afterall...

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    Seems wise, just be happy for the time you had. 12 years is quite long for a dog overall (although I don't know what kind of dog you have).
    12 years is long? People must not take care of their dogs where you live...14-16 years is more common here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    12 years is long? People must not take care of their dogs where you live...14-16 years is more common here.
    It depends on breed, my current dogs are about 10 years old and still healthy and active, my previous dogs (Boxers) all had to be put down at 8ish years old. One had a dodgy enlarged leaky heart, the other had cancer and the third one we think got bitten by a snake as we found her dead in the backyard without warning

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

i had to put my dog down a few months ago
    super shitty
    still miss her a lot
    don't really have any advice for on how to prepare for it. it sucks.

We had to put down 2 dogs last year. There is no real preparing for it, sorry to say, it's a shitty thing to go through.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking of making my dog a bucket list. She's getting old and in pain, it's only a matter of time.

She loves cat shit, so I'll have to get a whole bowl of that for her.
    She loves to lick her genitals (especially after a grooming) so I suppose a wax job would really maker her day.

Any other suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had two of my dogs pass away and my cat passed away 2 weeks ago. The only thing i can suggest is just sitting with him stroking him and as silly as it may sound just speak to him. Better to get the feelings out than in, even if you are sat there talking to a dog.

It'll be sad and you'll miss him, it hit me hardest with my cat, was 19 years old and knew him since my first memories. Some people are like, wtf it's an animal. But as you may know having an animal for so long you love it like a family member, it'll be hard but just think of the happy times.

Right erm, i'm going to go punch a wall and do some other manly stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    my sister has now decided he is too be put down this year. (she is his owner)
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Realize what it is and just keep on keepin' on. It's sad that we will always out live our pets, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    /facepalm not all dogs live to be the same age, especially bigger dogs. 12 is really old for a Great Dane

Deleted
    my sister has now decided he is too be put down this year. (she is his owner)
    Sorry to hear that. Was he sick or something? If he was not really, I don't see the logic, just because he's old if he's not sick I don't see it as a reason to put him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Was he sick or something? If he was not really, I don't see the logic, just because he's old if he's not sick I don't see it as a reason to put him down.
    When I was a kid the family of one of my friend's took a new cat every 2-3 years and then had it put down for no good reason and this was a completely normal procedure for them, like a tradition, even their kids didn't seem to mind all that much. Actually they rather rejoiced because they knew when one cat was being put down it was time for a new cat! Some people...

Maybe I just have a cold heart, but I never had any emotional problems when any of my pets died. I spose I just dont get very attached to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Maybe I just have a cold heart, but I never had any emotional problems when any of my pets died. I spose I just dont get very attached to them.
    Stop getting pets then?

there has to be something i can do to lessen the impact.
    Depends on how you handle death, it's a personal experience after all.

I lost 2 dogs in my life, the 3rd one is starting to get older as well.. The previous 2 got to be 16 each, the one we have is 11 now. The others started to show their age around 11 or 12 as well..

When the first 1 died, we waited a month to get one from the animal shelter (or however its called).. That was a long and hard month. When we believed the second dog was not going to live for a lot longer we got our third dog already.

One reason was that the new one could learn a thing or 2 from the older dog, the second reason was that the new dog could offer some comfort if the older one had passed away. That worked somewhat.

In the end, just enjoy spending time with him/her, and don't think to much about it.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    When I was a kid the family of one of my friend's took a new cat every 2-3 years and then had it put down for no good reason and this was a completely normal procedure for them, like a tradition, even their kids didn't seem to mind all that much. Actually they rather rejoiced because they knew when one cat was being put down it was time for a new cat! Some people...
    That's kind of sick to be honest. I'd rather not comment more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know the feeling..my cat is 17 years old, struggles to walk up the stairs, isn't eating, drinks tons of water and we don't think he has much time left...we got him when i was 5 so i can't really imagine him not being around...

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 12:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I think that is one of the worst thing i have ever heard 0o

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    That's kind of sick to be honest. I'd rather not comment more.
    Yes it is sick but apparently it's normal for some people to not feel a lot of (if any) emotional attachment for pets. All I want to know is why do these kind of people keep getting pets...
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-02-02 at 12:30 PM.