Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Like everyone other said, you can't be prepared for it.

My family's dog died in the age of 17 years this autumn. It was the saddest lost in my life. To my surprise after two weeks already I recognize that I have coped with the loss and starting to "forget" (or better say to stop think about) my beloved dog. What remains are the memories primarily of the last 3/4 years, where he suffered from pain (as my father didn't want let him go till my mother makes the final decision). So I had to really forced myself to remember back the days when he was healthy und running around happy and healthy. So it's maybe better do not wait to long to let your pets go, if there is no way for recovery. And finally even you will find out: life goes on ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Kind of a weird question, but what do people do in the city when their pet dies? Do you give the body to an animal shelter or something? Ive always lived in the country so we usually just buried it in the woods behind our house.
    There are laws about the disposal of pets' bodies, so often people will bring their deceased pets in to the Vet's office and it gets taken care of that way. If you bring your pet in to be put down, that subject will come up - I believe there's a fee, either way. Some people will make a point of taking a trip out of the city to either bury their pets' remains, or give it up to nature if that's their personal bent... though we're technically not supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I'm sorry for going a bit Off-topic but as many of you have lost your pets to various diseases and ailments I might as well ask my question here.

My cat has developed a small lump under the skin on her front leg and I'm just curious to what it is. It's about the size of an overgrown pea and quite squishy. I squish it daily as the cat doesn't mind or show signs of pain and to be honest, I just like squishing it. It's like a stressball. It's not attached to anything solid(meat/bone etc), just kinda floats around underneath the skin.

She's 22, soon 23 years old. Indoors cat and very healthy overall. I just hate not knowing what it is.
    Could just be a fleshy growth, which is rather common in dogs (afaik). All of the dogs I've had in my live have wound up with an odd set of growths along their undersides as they reached double digits in age. Could be cancer, but you won't know unless you bring the cat in to be checked out. I have two dogs right now, the older of which is ~12 now, and he's going down hill; he has a good 6 of them scattered over his ribcage, has had'em for a while now but none of the vets have considered them anything out of the ordinary. The younger is about 6 years old and has one small lump halfway down her back - when I pointed it out at the Vet's, they gave it a feel and said they'd remove it next time she had to be anesthetized. In other words, they weren't concerned, but they didn't want to do something invasive for the sake of it as it was relatively recent, and still small. (it was part of the vet visits we made because we moved a year ago and wanted to square away the dogs' records in our new neighborhood) We'll probably talk about it again in a couple of months as the dogs need their shots again soon.

You must not hate it TOO badly if you're asking here rather than giving your Vet's office a call.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    Could just be a fleshy growth, which is rather common in dogs (afaik). All of the dogs..
    You must not hate it TOO badly if you're asking here rather than giving your Vet's office a call.
    Yeah, it's probably nothing to worry about. I'm thinking it's an age thing as well.

I live in a pretty small town and we don't actually have a vet. IKR?! Crazy! So it's actually a big hazel to get an appointment and transportation to the closest town with a vet. The lump is more like an annoyance for me and not my cat. If it grows or cause her pain I'd gladly contact a vet though

The problem with pets is that, if people see them suffer they put them down instantly, that's kinda cruel. You don't mind treating cancer or aids for 10 years but can't treat a pet for a few months. My pet had breathing and stomach problems for like a month, found the right medicine and now she has been fine ever since
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    he sleeps almost all the time now, when he runs up and down stairs he sort of cries. we have to prop up his food on a box because he doesnt want to crane his neck down that far. last night instead of running upstairs after his owner likes he usually does, he spent a whole hour before he went upstairs. he knew she was up there but didnt want to get up and go upstairs and was whining/crying.also the dog is starting to sort of snarl at the children when they get too close. (they are 2 and 8 months old.) he even did it when my sister tried to get close once(he loves her).

we also arent getting a new dog after this. too much money to maintain.
    ah, sorry to hear that. from your description it sounds like he has reumatism or some spine injury (the reason why he doesn't go up the stairs anymore, must be somewhere on the spine most likely as it explains the fact that he doesn't want to move his head either). It might also be linked with something else, because of the snarling. Well... sorry for your dog. If you belive in a Heaven of sorts, he'll be there when you go too, if not... think of all the happy moments you spent together and cherish them.

That's all I can say. Remember to give him a great last day, meal, love and all that. And take pictures, so you remember him as years pass if you were attached to him.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    I'm sorry for going a bit Off-topic but as many of you have lost your pets to various diseases and ailments I might as well ask my question here.

My cat has developed a small lump under the skin on her front leg and I'm just curious to what it is. It's about the size of an overgrown pea and quite squishy. I squish it daily as the cat doesn't mind or show signs of pain and to be honest, I just like squishing it. It's like a stressball. It's not attached to anything solid(meat/bone etc), just kinda floats around underneath the skin.

She's 22, soon 23 years old. Indoors cat and very healthy overall. I just hate not knowing what it is.
    It's an infection. The infection itself, if you put some antibiotics, is not the true danger. The true danger is the reason why there is an infection. Take it to a vet, as there might be something more to it. Especially since it is quite an old cat and she can have a whole bunch of problems that she can develop even from that small infection.

Deleted
    One of my cats is creeping up on 19 now. Every year I think the winter might get to him, and every year he proves me wrong.

It's weird, cos at one point we were all certain he would go; he wasn't very active and was looking "old". Then suddenly he had a second wind and is as fit and active as ever.

It'll be weird when he dies, since he's been there as long as I can remember (I'm 22 this year). I don't think we can ever prepare ourselves for when it does actually happen, even though we try.

There is no such thing as preparation for someones death.

Accept it... and allow yourself to moan your loss and it will become better with time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to put my dog back in April. (some pics of her here if anyone is interested http://imgur.com/a/Mt0YZ ) She was a collie/cocker spaniel mix and we had her for 18 happy years. For her last two years she started to slowly lose her eye sight and hearing, became tired very easily, developed arthritis in her legs, lost a lot of her teeth to the point where it hurt for her to eat (which was the final straw for us to decide that she was in pain and that she shouldn't be kept alive just to suffer)

Sadly, there isnt fuck all you can do to prepare yourself for when they finally go... Death affects everyone differently, it's as simple as that really. Just be glad that you had the luxury of having a best friend for 12 amazing years and that they were loved and they lived an amazing life! You can also be glad if they are being put down they won't feel any pain at all, the first needle just makes them very relaxed and at ease, after they use the next needle they are gone in like 3 seconds

For me, I had no clue that me, a grown man, would simply burst into tears just at the thought of not seeing her greet me when I would come home in the evening or not have her trying to take up every space on my bed at night I found that having her ashes along with her leash and collar made me feel a little bit better after she went but for some people the thought of having something that reminds them of their pet makes them upset.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

I know that feel, OP. But as many have said before, there is no way to prepare for it. It's going to hurt like hell one way or another, but the pain WILL pass in time. When it happens, just try to remember that he had a good life and was loved. That's what really matters in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    well its been confirmed we are to put him down this week.....i think. he barely eats anything or drinks anything anymore.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    well its been confirmed we are to put him down this week.....i think. he barely eats anything or drinks anything anymore.
    Damn, sorry man... But if they can hardly eat or drink anymore it's for the best because you are just doing more harm then good
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    Damn, sorry man... But if they can hardly eat or drink anymore it's for the best because you are just doing more harm then good
    i know but i cant bare to let him go....but i know hes in pain.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Buy another dog, it will help you pass over the loss faster. And don`t think at that as if you don`t love the old dog. Life goes on, he did what he was meant to do in this life, now grab a new pup and think at the good time that is coming.

Like everybody said, you can't do anything to prepare. Just make sure the last days are pleasant for both you and your pet. We used to ask the vet to come over when a dog needed to be put down, because most pets don't like going to the vet and become afraid. We didn't want our pets to die while being afraid, but to be in their own trusted environment.

One of those dogs made it very clear to us we were doing the right thing. He was terrified of the vet and as soon as we took him to the vet he became aggressive because of fear. However, when we had to put him down (untreatable brain tumor) and the vet arrived he did something really surprising. He walked to each of us (my father, mother, sister and me) put his head on our lap and after we pat his head he went to the next. After that he walked to the vet, looked at us and lied down in front of the vet. He just knew what was going to happen and he made it clear it was the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Gliondir; 2013-02-04 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Typo

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really prepare for it, it's sad when it happens. I would only put him down if he was in pain.

Deleted
    It sucks. If the vet says (and you see) that your dog isn't enjoying being alive anymore it would be more than selfish to keep him around just so you don't have to put up with his death. And besides enjoying the time you have left there isn't really much you can do in terms of preparation. I cried every single time when one of my pets died even if i knew it was going to happen. And it helped me to get over it. Being attached to a pet and being sad when it dies is totally normal imo. You will come to terms with it, just give it time and remember you are allowed to be sad
    And as some mentioned, having pictures to remember is also great.