info about the game

Hi all,
    As i have never played this game before i have a question.my son plays the game but when i ask him to do something for me all i get is "if i leave this battle i will get my account banned for a few days".
    now the question i have is is this true or is he just stringing me along so he gets out of what i asked him to do ?

Deleted
    If he leaves the battle then he can drastically negatively affect his team mates, making the game a lot less fun for them. It's very frustrating to lose a game and an hour of your time because someone left, there is no compensation for that team and it's a very competitive game.

If you leave early you can be reported; if there are enough reports then you can be warned or yes, your account can be banned - although I don't think it's something they do lightly and he would get warnings or temporary suspensions first, it is certainly something that could happen if he makes a habit out of it.

A game is usually over in under an hour (some as low as 15-20 minutes depending on the map) though so if he's using that excuse to get out of doing stuff for an entire afternoon or evening then he's probably stretching the truth a little. There should be no reason he couldn't do what you ask him within the hour or so. Or you could arrange with him times that you won't need him and he's allowed to play computer games, and times he should be available for chores and so on so you both know when he is or isn't going to be playing computer games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    If he leaves the battle then he can drastically negatively affect his team mates, making the game a lot less fun for them. It's very frustrating to lose a game and an hour of your time because someone left, there is no compensation for that team and it's a very competitive game.

If you leave early you can be reported; if there are enough reports then you can be warned or yes, your account can be banned - although I don't think it's something they do lightly and he would get warnings or temporary suspensions first, it is certainly something that could happen if he makes a habit out of it.

A game is usually over in under an hour (some as low as 15-20 minutes depending on the map) though so if he's using that excuse to get out of doing stuff for an entire afternoon or evening then he's probably stretching the truth a little. There should be no reason he couldn't do what you ask him within the hour or so. Or you could arrange with him times that you won't need him and he's allowed to play computer games, and times he should be available for chores and so on so you both know when he is or isn't going to be playing computer games.
    Good reply, but there is an automatic "Leaverbuster" system that handles the bans for outright leaving, he WILL get banned for shutting down the game, and fast too. This will start with a warning, then a few temporary bans (3 days/10 days/3 weeks I think) followed by a permanent ban. These bans start coming out pretty fast if you leave, say, a game a week.

Losing your account due to a ban is no fun and will cost you a lot of time to win back. If you spent money, it's all gone.

Thankyou for the reply Shamanic.
    i can understand his point sometimes a i do pvp myself playing WoW and yes sometimes the Bg's do go on a little but it gets to the point sometimes where i'm waiting for hours before he does what he's asked and it's just so annoying when he knows he has chores to do and stuff.i know it has a negative effect on the rest of the team if people go afk or just leave but hey i guess i could cut him a little slack sometimes lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, as stated above, if it's taking hours it's more than a bit silly. The longest game I've been in went on for slightly over 70 minutes.

Though I can understand if he queues as a premade of 5 people that it'd be awkward to keep 4 others waiting for you, but in that case you can just make a few agreements about when he's supposed to do the stuff then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually he would get banned yes. If he had to afk one or two games very sporadically then he will unlikely get banned. If it's a more common thing he will get banned by leavebuster, that's what it's there for.

So ya, it's annoying to have to leave a game for your team, and yourself. You know that you threw the game because you had to go, and you wasted your team's time as well. However, you should also be aware of the time you have and know when to Q etc.

I used to have a problem with my mother coming home and demanding that I do something immediately (when I lived at home) and we eventually worked it out that she would try to let us know when she was going to need us to do something. Emergencies happen, and if the choice is to play a game rather than attend to the emergency, then priorities are probably wrong.

The last point is a bit off of what you asked though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jolinaar View Post
    i can understand his point sometimes a i do pvp myself playing WoW and yes sometimes the Bg's do go on a little but it gets to the point sometimes where i'm waiting for hours before he does what he's asked and it's just so annoying when he knows he has chores to do and stuff.i know it has a negative effect on the rest of the team if people go afk or just leave but hey i guess i could cut him a little slack sometimes lol.
    If it's been hours, it means he's been starting new games after one ends.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jolinaar View Post
    Take a look at the timer in the top right of the screen when he's in a game, it'll say how long the game has been going on for. It's very rare a game lasts longer than 60-70 minutes... so if the game is already at 40 minutes, you know he should be done within half hour max really.

We've all been there, wanting to play another game when we really should have stopped, if it's been hours he's probably being a little sneaky and starting another game and hoping you won't want him to do his chores anymore.

If you show to him that you know how long a game lasts, knows what the timer is, and specifically say, don't start another game then until you've helped me and I'll be able to tell, he's probably a lot less likely to try and get away with it

Watch him finish a game, then when said game is done, have him get up to do his chores ... show some (or feign) interest in the game;

You could make an account (free), and just spectate some games, you could then get a grasp on things to look for to 'gauge' how much longer your son's game will be (if his or the opposing team is fed, quick look at the map and see how many towers are down, etc). Some games one of the team surrenders at 20 mins, some games last over an hour, but rarely much more than that.

As much as it feels like a 'dick' move, you are the parent, and can pull the plug at any time. 1 game won't kill a rating (assuming your son even plays ranked) too bad, and a good lesson learned.

Also, check to see if it is a bot game, if so, he can leave whenever and the others can carry the game 4v5 easily. You'll see on the opposing team 'Annie Bot' etc.

AFKing does set you back a lot, and can make you a easy kill if for more than a couple minutes. Exiting the game does pop up a warning about getting banned.

My wife and I have a newborn, and real life responsibilities always come first, and our team understands this, so if we have to afk, we do it. If we get too far behind, we just surrender and start a new game. It might be a 'fun' life lesson to teach your son I know I could've used a bit more of that when I was a kid ... I was really bad about 'just a few more minutes', putting things off forever

thanks for all the replies guys,much appreciated

Just let him play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever11 View Post
    Just let him play.
    inb4 this is the son

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroo View Post
    inb4 this is the son
    rofl

Also remember, an average game lasts about 40 minutes. If enough time has gone by and he says he's still playing the same game...he has Qed up for another match while you've waited for him to finish.

At that point, I give you full authority to walk in and start taking off your belt while explaining to him in a calm manner that you know what he's up to and if he doesn't mind his own father, there is going to be some discipline.

Or, if that isn't your thing, you can just walk in and unplug the computer from the wall. That generally sets the tone too.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

You have to leave a lot to get banned. You have to leave constantly (fucking up 9 other people's games and wasting their time) in order to get a serious ban.

Other than that it is a good and fun game, barring the cesspit of a rotten community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to make this a battle between Dota or HoN... but it would be really nice if the game registers someone as being afk, quit, or never connected that it would allow people to leave with no penalty. Having someone afk from the start and having to wait 15-20min before you can surrender really sucks.

And before you jump down my throat and say that you CAN win 4v5... yes you CAN... but it is a game I would rather not play and have the option to leave.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 08:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post

More on topic... can someone explain this to my wife.