1. #1

    What sells for most from the farm?

    I have never been into cooking but I grew a few crops and mailed them to my bank alt just to see what was selling and for how much. Are some used for better items? The price range was pretty big. My most worthless crop was only 25 silver per while one was 4-5g per. I dont know if this is going to differ from server to server or if they are so much more expensive because they are used to make something thats used more. If thats the case then they would probably hold a high value on most servers. Can farming actually make you gold once you unlock all the crops and can plant the max number of seeds or is it more like Pokemon and just for something fun to do and check once a day and replant?

  2. #2
    Check out theunderminejournal dot com

    Go to your realm and see current prices. every realm is going to be different. You can surely make gold from the farm.

  3. #3
    My farming stopped being profitable after 2-3 weeks into MoP. Was probably first on the server with Master of the Ways, auctioned the rarest unlockable food and still didn't make more than 3 pennies. So useless.

  4. #4
    Duoux's advice is good: your server's economy isn't exactly like mine, so you'll want to do some fact checking.

    Having said that, I stopped planting food a long time ago. Moshic is right - I can't sell feasts or anything else cooked except at a significant loss.

    Instead, look at the market for other trade goods. Get your rep up and plant cloth or leather. Herbs is the best choice for me, since Golden Lotus comes up often and still sells for a lot. Turnips? Not so much.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    My farming stopped being profitable after 2-3 weeks into MoP. Was probably first on the server with Master of the Ways, auctioned the rarest unlockable food and still didn't make more than 3 pennies. So useless.
    How is a system that essentially gives you FREE materials (few silver investment) not profitable? everything that can be sold on the farm can be sold for some amount of profit, some more so than others, and this is what he asked, the specialty seeds for one are very profitable, giving you potentially 16 motes of harmony a day, if you are a crafter these can be sold to ppl who are looking for epic gear. even those "useless" vegetables are good, in a raiding community there will always be a demand for the 300 stat food veggies, or even pink turnips for the pandaren banquet. your problem is you where trying to sell the end item "food" instead of the mats, always sell mats
    Last edited by Deadmedic; 2013-02-01 at 06:02 PM.
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadmedic View Post
    How is a system that essentially gives you FREE materials (few silver investment) not profitable? everything that can be sold on the farm can be sold for some amount of profit, some more so than others, and this is what he asked, the specialty seeds for one are very profitable, giving you potentially 16 motes of harmony a day, if you are a crafter these can be sold to ppl who are looking for epic gear. even those "useless" vegetables are good, in a raiding community there will always be a demand for the 300 stat food veggies, or even pink turnips for the pandaren banquet. your problem is you where trying to sell the end item "food" instead of the mats, always sell mats
    Exactly. I have 6 90's with full plots and farm for 20-ish minutes a day to harvest and replant. I do enigma for golden lotus for flasks and get 20-30 per day along with the other plants to make them. Using elixir mastery, that is between 25 and 40 flasks per day to sell. My server ranges from 50g to 90g average for all those flasks. Daily yield ranges from 1550g to 3200g (24-day running range via TSM) and, being on a mature server, they all sell.

  7. #7
    Generally Enigma for Golden Lotus. You (well I anyway) get a minimum of 3 Lotus per day, usually 4-5 and the most I've had was 9. Assume an average of 5 per day, that's 35 a week. It's not massive gold, but free gold is, well, free.

    Otherwise Plant Songbell (think that's the name) for Harmony's then do with them as you wish.

    The more farms the more profit, but if you're like me, you'll never do the daily grind to unlock all farm plots on more than 1 character

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Generally Enigma for Golden Lotus. You (well I anyway) get a minimum of 3 Lotus per day, usually 4-5 and the most I've had was 9. Assume an average of 5 per day, that's 35 a week. It's not massive gold, but free gold is, well, free.

    Otherwise Plant Songbell (think that's the name) for Harmony's then do with them as you wish.

    The more farms the more profit, but if you're like me, you'll never do the daily grind to unlock all farm plots on more than 1 character
    If you get the double rep item after hitting revered, it will take your alts all of 4 days to get to exalted and have a full plot farm available. Maybe 5 days. Been a month or so since I last did it (for my first alt), so will try to remember to post progress of my recently dinged mage. :P

    Considering the usefulness of the farm, it's 4 days well spent.

  9. #9
    Pandaren Monk Slummish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    I have never been into cooking but I grew a few crops and mailed them to my bank alt just to see what was selling and for how much. Are some used for better items? The price range was pretty big. My most worthless crop was only 25 silver per while one was 4-5g per. I dont know if this is going to differ from server to server or if they are so much more expensive because they are used to make something thats used more. If thats the case then they would probably hold a high value on most servers. Can farming actually make you gold once you unlock all the crops and can plant the max number of seeds or is it more like Pokemon and just for something fun to do and check once a day and replant?
    On Proudmoore, witchberries and cabbages are usually the most expensive vegetables. The truth is, whatever item hasn't been a part of Jogu the Drunkard's daily double prediction for the longest time is what tends to go up in price. When pink turnips haven't been on the line-up all week, their price goes from 1g to 5g apiece.

    I work four full farms per day just to sell the produce and it general nets me an extra 1000g.

  10. #10
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    98
    I tend to do enigma seeds mainly because it tends to yield quite a few golden lotus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    On Proudmoore, witchberries and cabbages are usually the most expensive vegetables.
    I always avoid vegetables since the demand is so damn low even if the price is higher. Is the demand reasonable on proudmoore (mostly out of curiousity)?

  11. #11
    me very rich wow guy

  12. #12
    Vegetables have no throughput. Of all the servers, the highest demand combined with the highest price sits at less than 18%. That is terrible. So if *your* server is selling any one of them well, it is likely fleeting and will have no resilience.

  13. #13
    Blademaster Furzb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Duoux View Post
    Check out theunderminejournal dot com

    Go to your realm and see current prices. every realm is going to be different. You can surely make gold from the farm.
    Awesome, didnt know these existed

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Peaky Blinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Birmingham UK/Arizona US
    Posts
    5,687
    Enigma plants are prolly the best cash crop

    Farming your own golden lotus is a sure fire winner cause people will always need flasks and transmutes

    I noticed on a good day i can get about 5 golden lotus from my farm and with my alts farming too i can easily get a stack of golden lotus every day

    The rest is pretty meh except the harmony plants

  15. #15
    Just like everything else this varies from server to server. Some servers have high demand for snow lilies and others for green tea leaves. The good news is there are plenty of addons to help you monitor your auction house for prevailing trends.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    My farming stopped being profitable after 2-3 weeks into MoP. Was probably first on the server with Master of the Ways, auctioned the rarest unlockable food and still didn't make more than 3 pennies. So useless.

    Golden lotus on my server still goes for 40g a pop. I have never gotten no golden lotus from a full crop of engima seed. Even green tea leaf more than doubles your investment on the seed, more if you mill it. Allowing for some pretty extreme variation in server prices you're almost never going to lose money on an engima seed. If your farm isn't profitable it's because you're incredibly bad at math and it actually is profitable.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2013-02-07 at 01:08 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  17. #17
    carrots only carrots!

  18. #18
    Pandaren Monk Archimand's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gensokyo
    Posts
    1,989
    best is enigma seed hands down, untill they fix the other crops in 5.2.

    you can find 3-9 golden lotus a day, obviously extreme cases will be 0-16 but i avg at around 5 a day, thats with my server prices, around 125g just from lotus.

    other herbs sell nicely as well, or i just pile them and eventually make my flask/potions for free.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."
    Archimand - On Demand Breeding List Link
    FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

  19. #19
    I've started planting Songbell for Motes of Harmony on my Leatherworker.

    Magnificent Hide is ~200 gold each and the Leg Enchants sell for 600-900g. Checking the Market supply each day means I'm generally always selling in the higher market, so lets say 750g, after the hide cost I'm left with 550g profit.

    Assuming 5 Golden Lotus per day from Enigma, that would be about 200-250g (they sell 40-50g on my server) so I'm well ahead crafting 1 leg enchant per day but it's actually 1.6 per day (16 motes) or 11 per week.

    Unlike Inscription, there's hardly much competition for the Leg Enchants so I can reliably sell one everyday (possibly more, but don't have the spirits).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •