Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

Best Challenge Mode Comp

Hi there

Som friends and I are going for Challenge Mode Gold, but I am not certain which comp I should aim for, or rather, what the last class in our comp should be.

Comp so far:

DK tank
    Holy Paladin
    Elemental Shaman
    Shadow Priest

None of these can be changed!

For the fifth person, I was thinking about a Boomkin for Solar Beam, or a Mage/Lock to keep the setup ranged.

But what would you suggest and why ?
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Monk imo several stuns/interrupts, coupled with great aoe, and serpent kick slow if the tank needs to get away from mobs in a hurry.

I'm far from a challenge mode expert, but in the gold I got having double unglyphed army made it loads easier on us (tank and me as dps, in scarlett halls)

Maybe have a look at the buff/debuff spread, and try to get the most beneficial there?

From my experience, the best setup - for most challenges, and super competitive times, if you're into it - would be Resto Druid (roars+HoW are priceless), DK tank (maybe not as strong as a monk, but very very strong, and frees a melee spot), Elemental Shaman (mega cleave and super cd's), Hunter (aspects plus massive AOE). The last spot can be filled by any other decent class, ranged preferably for some of the challenges.

For your particular setup, i'd probably suggest adding a Hunter or a Balance Druid (as i said, stampeding roar is probably the most op ability for challenges. 60% sprint, 8 secs, every 2min adds up to a very hefty amount of time on each challenge, even helping on some of the Invis pots segments.

10+ Year Old Account
    All a Mage brings you is Arcane Brilliance and sheep.
    A Balance Druid brings you 5% stats, speed boosts, aoe silence, backup heals, knockbacks, three different CCs...
    And leave a Warlock alt right outside the door if you can to supply yourselves with fresh-baked Warlock Cookies. Now with sprinkles!*

* Sprinkles may not be included, and are definitely the souls of the fallen.

afflock or frost mage for more aoe/burst and stuns

moonkin isn't a terrible choice but our aoe sucks and your comp lacks crit buff, which, along with stat scaling means we do negative damage with such small amounts of crit.

Blood DK.
    R Druid.
    Ele Shaman.
    Ele Shaman.
    Hunter.

Best comp.
    Make changes as appropriate for your group. I'd probably throw in a hunter.
    Protip: AoE Grip is amazing. Remind your Shaman to use Cap Totem.
    Updating my signature from my WoD characters.

Yikes.

Probably better than you, probably also a casual these days. Go on, keep being elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    Blood DK.
    R Druid.
    Ele Shaman.
    Ele Shaman.
    Hunter.

Best comp.
    Definitely this.

Having two Ancestral Guidances is godlike, especially with Chain Lightning / Lava Beam spam.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

Paladin Tank
    Frost DK
    Afli/Demo Lock
    BM/Surv Hunter
    Resto Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    Blood DK.
    R Druid.
    Ele Shaman.
    Ele Shaman.
    Hunter.

Best comp.
    While I think most comp can do gold without to much trouble and that this specific one can be good, it's no where close to what I'd call the best comp for either achieving gold or getting top times.

If your only objective is to get 9/9 gold you'd prolly want to stick with dk/warrior tank with a disc priest (but any healer would do honestly, for gold time there's not that much of a diff) and a mix of 3 different dps (range have an advantage over melee) that brings as many buff as possible. Overall the best ranged dps seems to be lock/mage/shaman and hunter, as for melee dps I'd prolly stick with a dk, a warrior or a ret pal.
    My personal choice to clear all 9 challenges and be sure to get gold in each of them with as little effort and as little chance of wiping possible would probably be my current comp :
    BRM monk
    Disc priest
    Ele sham
    Frost mage
    SV hunter

as for getting world times, it depends of each challenge, you'd need 2 dk for scarlet monastery, a lock + ele shaman for GSS, monk healer for jade serpent and the list goes on.

The biggest issue I have with your so called best comp is how much room for improvement there's for AoE pack. Ele shamans are amazing for their tool, cleave and burst but they're far behind locks, mages, hunter, monks, dk and warrior on AoE.

@op, your 3 choice are all viable, I'd just add hunter as a potential fifth dps. I'd also not recommand a boomkin simply because your comp is already low in term of AoE dps which is gonna hurt you in most challenges
    Last edited by Nerthfu; 2013-02-04 at 01:52 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerthfu View Post
    @op, your 3 choice are all viable, I'd just add hunter as a potential fifth dps. I'd also not recommand a boomkin simply because your comp is already low in term of AoE dps which is gonna hurt you in most challenges
    Yeah, I think its gonna be Hunter, Lock or DK.
    Last edited by Googolplex; 2013-02-02 at 11:55 PM.
    The grass is always greener - The times were always better

Get a Hunter. A warlock can work aswell.

Brew Monk
    Disc Priest
    SV Hunter
    SV Hunter
    Ele Shaman

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerthfu View Post
    as for getting world times, it depends of each challenge, you'd need 2 dk for scarlet monastery, a lock + ele shaman for GSS, monk healer for jade serpent
    and the list goes on.
    Wait wat? I dont quite follow that statement, priests are the only ones who reliably can dps and heal at the same time and im sure you know that too (yes I know who you are contrary to 99% of the people on here).

Anyways for the most faceroll, no skill comp (ie easy as hell to get gold for anyone) is something like DK tank, Holy Paladin (bops and salvs have been amazing for me when selling boosts to bad tanks), double Ele shaman and a hunter/warlock/mage (mage is best but not by much).

As far as the OPs comp goes it a decent comp, except for the shadow priest who is kinda lackluster but amazing for saving ur tank if he knows how to lifeswap. That comp + a mage is how I got realm first challenge mode conqueror.

Well in terms of world best time, there's a few strat we want to try out but most of them are really comp specific and the best strat I have in mind for TJS requires a monk healer. I was just throwing the first few example that came to mind there's alot more. As for mist-weaver monk, their AoE dps is nothing to laugh at and their mobility can be very useful too.

You also reminded me how useful most hands abilities are with a paladin, it completely slipped my mind ><.

it would appear..

brewmaster
    disc
    frost mage
    survival
    lock/ele/frost dk

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/challeng...-palace/#reset (and most of the others)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    it would appear..

brewmaster
    disc
    frost mage
    survival
    lock/ele/frost dk

If you are pushing for top times, sure. Gold however can be achieved by most comps. Brewmasters do make an insane difference to times, their tank DPS is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    it would appear..

brewmaster
    disc
    frost mage
    survival
    lock/ele/frost dk

Did you take a sec to read my post, im in the group your refering to. It's the comp I'm most comfortable with (fifth dps is ele sham btw) but it's not the best comp for world best time nor is it the best for 9 gold

Deleted
    I would take a person with an instant AoE stun. That or any of the the classes you've mentioned can fill the role. I think Solar Beam is a tad overestimated, stuns and interrupts can take care of the areas where its imperative to interrupt (not to mention you have AMS and Army for the really ugly spell casting packs), and solar beam does nothing for melee.

At the end of the day I'd take the best player you could find out of the ones you have listed.

5 dks is a win
    do what you feel.