Deleted

Will disc be viable in 5.2?

Hey i was just wondering if disc will be viable in RBG/Arena.

A very skilled player can probably make it work to some extent, but as it is now, and will be in 5.2, disc doesn't have the mobility/cc/defensive options to be really viable at higher ratings. Hpala and Rshaman are pretty far ahead in that regard. Disc will receive some buffs to its healing output but at the same time Blizzard decided the nerf Phantasm, one of the more important disc defensive abilities, which kind of makes matters even worse than they are now. It's a shame really seeing as the priest class is supposed to be THE healing class, with 2 of its 3 specs tailored to healing, yet they haven't managed to make either of them particularly viable for MoP PvP.
    Last edited by Demonized; 2013-02-01 at 09:03 PM.

No.
    The amout of changes needed to make disc equal to other healers only happens in new expacs.
    Discs used to be the offensive healers, what they lacked in defensive tools they made up with good dps and dispels.
    Now even paladins the most defensive healer has more offensive tools than disc, better cds, better heals, better regen, better dps
    Blizzard always fuck up some specs and forget about them in some expacs, remember how terrible resto druids were in cataclysm?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazdum View Post
    No.
    The amout of changes needed to make disc equal to other healers only happens in new expacs.
    Discs used to be the offensive healers, what they lacked in defensive tools they made up with good dps and dispels.
    Now even paladins the most defensive healer has more offensive tools than disc, better cds, better heals, better regen, better dps
    Blizzard always fuck up some specs and forget about them in some expacs, remember how terrible resto druids were in cataclysm?
    Do what? I don't think I was ever beaten by any other healing class on my resto druid in Cata. Anyway, disc should be alright. It may not be the hot shit that it is right now but it'll still be viable, I'm sure.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the arena/RBG bit. Can't speak about the PvP aspect as I don't PvP =3

10+ Year Old Account
    Can confirm from extensive testing on the ptr and playing with other experienced players disc will actually be one of the top healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Principe View Post
    Can confirm from extensive testing on the ptr and playing with other experienced players disc will actually be one of the top healers.
    What I was thinking too.

People are overestimating hpallies I think, they are just toooo fucking easy to swap to. Outside of bubble any decent swap is basically death unless you get solid peels. Only healer with no passive protection (outside of armor) and nothing against stuns/silences unless activated pre-swap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thisnamesucks View Post
    What I was thinking too.

People are overestimating hpallies I think, they are just toooo fucking easy to swap to. Outside of bubble any decent swap is basically death unless you get solid peels. Only healer with no passive protection (outside of armor) and nothing against stuns/silences unless activated pre-swap.
    this basically. They are just brainless healers but you wont see very many above 2200 that aren't playing cleaves.

Til now, no priest will be viable on 5.2...

Quote Originally Posted by Principe View Post
    this basically. They are just brainless healers but you wont see very many above 2200 that aren't playing cleaves.
    Correct me if im wrong but focused will is now 15% stacking twice for disc in 5.2? Thats 30% passive DR from all sources thats pretty nuts considering the shields/hots/PoM and the nerf to the purge glyph. Also they are getting 2 of their mandatory glyphs rolled into the spec so they will have new options everywhere, along with other buffs. Only issue priests are going to have is melee cleaves training them into the ground but other than that disc is looking strong imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    What I was thinking too.

It is not exactly a paladins bubble/survivability that makes them viable. It is their aura mastery, their bop, freedom, but is not only their utility but also their healing output, cc and survivability, it is that all together that makes them viable.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    It is not exactly a paladins bubble/survivability that makes them viable. It is their aura mastery, their bop, freedom, but is not only their utility but also their healing output, cc and survivability, it is that all together that makes them viable.
    The problem is their healing output is all based on the moment. They have no hots or shields really worth mentioning and their cc is only useful if they have time to use it (and besides repentance its all basically melee range, even worse that blinding light is getting a cast time for holy). They are extremely easy to cc, easy to swap to and kill. Priests on the other hand in 5.2 are difficult to cc, have tons of passive survivability and cds while being swapped too. They are very different healers that work with different comps. Stick an hpally on a caster team and it wont work so well, stick a disc on a melee cleave and same thing.

On a side note with unholy dks looking like they are and the stuff ive seen on ret, I can see vanguards cleave or whatever people were calling it making a comeback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct me if im wrong but focused will is now 15% stacking twice for disc in 5.2? Thats 30% passive DR from all sources thats pretty nuts considering the shields/hots/PoM and the nerf to the purge glyph. Also they are getting 2 of their mandatory glyphs rolled into the spec so they will have new options everywhere, along with other buffs. Only issue priests are going to have is melee cleaves training them into the ground but other than that disc is looking strong imo.
    Correct, and honestly I dont see them as even a viable target.

The fact that they will basically be untrainable with 30% dmg reduction is just crazy. IIRC you can pain supp in stuns without having to take the glyph so it opens up a slot to possibly take SW D glyph to stay out of CC. I haven't tried it but apparently the death damage hits you noticeably later than in cata so you don't have to be so precise with Death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    The fact that they will basically be untrainable with 30% dmg reduction is just crazy. IIRC you can pain supp in stuns without having to take the glyph so it opens up a slot to possibly take SW D glyph to stay out of CC. I haven't tried it but apparently the death damage hits you noticeably later than in cata so you don't have to be so precise with Death.
    Aha, so with the glyph you cast SW:D before a mage is finished casting polymorph, and the damage from SW:D is delayed and hits you after you are sheeped? Thats smart, I never really understood how it worked until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flanito View Post
    Aha, so with the glyph you cast SW before a mage is finished casting polymorph, and the damage from SW is delayed and hits you after you are sheeped? Thats smart, I never really understood how it worked until now.
    Yup. Add to that spectral guise which is essentially vanish on a 30 second cd that easily allows you to prevent cc and LOS future cc or position yourself for your own cc (guise -> fear or guise -> dominate mind). At least they changed phantasm, but disc is still going to be hell to cc in the right hands. With all the passive survivability, nerfs to warriors and the purge glyph, the only thing im seeing as a counter to disc is unholy dks. Havent tried ptr to see how monks and rogues are but dks have always been the bane of priests.

Rogues shit on priests as well, UH dk got buffed they will populate ladders meaning disc will have a hard time. Dispel on icy touch, virtually can't be cc'd desecrate ground slows healing debuff, 2 grips for inner focus. Yea dks will continue to make lunch meat out of priests.

Deleted
    Yup. Add to that spectral guise which is essentially vanish on a 30 second cd that easily allows you to prevent cc and LOS future cc or position yourself for your own cc (guise -> fear or guise -> dominate mind). At least they changed phantasm, but disc is still going to be hell to cc in the right hands. With all the passive survivability, nerfs to warriors and the purge glyph, the only thing im seeing as a counter to disc is unholy dks. Havent tried ptr to see how monks and rogues are but dks have always been the bane of priests.
    If you Guise during a cast, you'll usualy end up CC'ed while in stealth. It doesn't work properly. You are also instantly unstealthed when you begin a cast . If I could guise and interrupt casts, I wouldn't be so worried about Phantasm, but as it stands Guise is so unreliable.

I'm bias'd clearly, but I don't feel TOO strong playing PTR... and Phantasm nerf isn't in yet (plus there's a bug atm where fade has 5 second cooldown which is hard to resist abusing!)