Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    I never understood sports myself either...

    But I like Super Bowl Sunday - I don't watch it, but it is like a national holiday where all the shops are open but nobody goes out. I can have every shop to myself with no crowds or anything! My favorite thing to do is go to the Zoo on Super Bowl Sunday. Literally NOBODY there! ^_^
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  2. #62
    Herald of the Titans Ihnasir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,567
    I love Football (American Football). It's the team spirit of things, and Football is the ultimate team sport. I rep my professional home team (Washington Redskins), season ticket-holder, all that business. If you watch enough Football, and start to understand the games, you can see how well the good teams flow like water, and the rest choke on key parts. I know I'm likely not going to convince you to watch, but I strongly suggest it. Insane things can happen (The Immaculate Reception)

    On your point of loyalty and team-swapping, that's a lot more common nowadays than in the past. Previously, a player was drafted and pretty much stuck with that team until they retired.

  3. #63
    It's just a personal thing, some like them, some don't. I find watching sports incredibly boring personally, just like I wouldn't wanna sit around watching other people play WoW(which I play and enjoy greatly), I have no interest in sitting around watching a bunch of people hitting/kicking/throwing a ball, driving/riding a car/horse around a track, or whatever.

  4. #64
    Dreadlord Asics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    West Seattle, WA
    Posts
    885
    It is hard to be a "hardcore" fan without having played the sport. That being said I have never played professional baseball or football but I would consider myself a "hardcore" fan of both. One aspect is you are a (small) part of something immensely bigger than yourself. It is fun to be with many other people with a similar cause (your team winning).
    I drink craft beer, listen to a broad spectrum of music, and am an avid Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco Giants fan!

  5. #65
    if you think the way you do,you could call pretty much everything odd,pointless or of little value

    one could say: 'i don't understand the point of movies or videogames,it's some pixels in the glass why do you care?'
    or:'i don't see the point of reading books,it's just some words in the paper,why do you care?'

    in fact anything that is highly competitive and/or emotionally intense will find someone who is interested in it,why?
    watching the best in the world compete is interesting no matter what that is,in fact the best videogamers would be pretty low on the interest department if compared to athletes because they develop skills that don't have any practical use,in a fictional setting with 0 impact on the real world etc...
    The constructive troll!

  6. #66
    The Insane Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15,527
    When I were young I played tennis, handball, street basket, some golf. Never watched any sports on tv etc.
    Now I'm older and I dont play anything and I watch alot

    I agree with
    My biggest reason is because there really isn't much stake in hand.
    but not for the same reason as you do but more like every league have useless teams everyone know wont make it into play offs so it is kinda dull.

    Right now, I just woke up at 12:30 zulu time after going to bed 4 hours earlier. I had to turn my day rythm around over here in Europe cos tomorrow night IT IS SUPER BOWL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Did you read how US is trying to destabilize pacific (china-jap) area too? They are sending warships down there. We might be seeing a new military force being created out of those two nations that will counter NATO (with EASE)

  7. #67
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,357
    Fair point about the poker stars going home with nothing, but it's entertaining to watch at the end of the day. Some players really do put everything into it and you can see they're disappointed when they lose, more so when it's the world cup or something similar, that's what I love to watch.

    I suggest watching the rugby six nations which kicks off today, it's badass and all the teams want to win.

  8. #68
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    15,425
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Another thing that bothers me are team-switching. I find it strange a player can be playing for the Lakers, competing against one of their rivals, the Celtics, but eventually one of the Lakers transferring to the Celtics. I don't feel like there's any authentic team spirit or patriotism at all when this stuff happens. Or when your team isn't playing in the super bowl, so you root for another team that could have possibly been a rival to your favorite team. To me a team should be like a loyal band. Once a band member drops, the whole team isn't the same and should be disbanded or giving a new name/color theme.
    I wanna bite on that part....
    This is an American phenomenon only. And as European it has always bugged me how entire teams can switch colors from one moment to the other.
    Today it's the Denver Broncos tomorrow it's the New England Patriots.. What also disturbs me is that they are not called clubs. They are called a franchise.
    Everything revolving the sport itself is named and functions pure business only. This does, and I agree with you wholeheartedly, push the meaning of the sport as what it is into the background. I am not used to this handling, nor will I ever get used to it.
    In Europe we are football (soccer) crazy. And there it's literally unthinkable for such thing as complete roster transfers to happen. By the rules of the game tansfers can only happen during the break time outside the seasons between the seasons, and once more during the winter break for a few weeks. And where it would be theoretically possible for club buying an entire roster from another club, it simply won't happen. We don't have to worry that the team from FC Barcelona in all of a sudden turns into Real Madrid, or Chelsea London becomes Arsenal London from one moment to the next. The fans would not tolerate that.
    In the fact of the matter, all across Europe there's a huge opposition against commercialization of the sport on all levels. The fans of some countries fighting tooth to nails to have commerce taking over the sport. It may surprise an American, when you learn that the fans threaten their teams with support refusal if the stadium where the games happen gets a commercial name the fans despise, as it happens in Germany for example.
    All in all, it's really in the hands of the fans what happens with a sport. Without the fans..... no club, or franchise can exist.
    For us Europeans sport has a LOT to do with tradition. For the most part we are born with the gene of our home teams.
    It's btw a reason why American Football has never really succeeded in Europe. The fans refuse any sport where commerce is more important than the sport itself.

  9. #69
    To not sound rude, I always see football (Soccer to you Americans out there) as just kicking a piece of leather with air inside it. Completely and utterly boring to me :P


    Currently playing World of Warcraft, the Dragon Age duo, and TES: Skyrim. Not at the same time, of course. I'm not an octopus.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Except the Super Bowl and the World Cup, both of which I'll watch because they're major cultural events.
    What has society come to when bullshit like this are considered "major cultural events".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Then the [MMORPG] genre started attracting more players. These players wanted more of a "game" and less of a "world" [...]

  11. #71
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    15,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    What has society come to when bullshit like this are considered "major cultural events".
    Just because you don't like sports doesn't mean you have to be extremely ignorant and insulting about it..

    Society maintains it's admiration for sports. We have sports since the ancient times already..

    Mens sana in corpore sano....

  12. #72
    The Insane Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    What has society come to when bullshit like this are considered "major cultural events".
    Games and sport are as old as religion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    Did you read how US is trying to destabilize pacific (china-jap) area too? They are sending warships down there. We might be seeing a new military force being created out of those two nations that will counter NATO (with EASE)

  13. #73
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    15,425
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Fair point about the poker stars going home with nothing
    Yeah, but is it really so?
    The stars likely get a flat salary to compete, then they get a stash of money to play with and the winner takes it all. Leaving the losers with their starter salary..

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarthan View Post
    Watch College football then bro, so much at stake. I played for a division 2 college and it was pretty intense.
    Do you even lift bro.
    I wash my hands until the water burns

  15. #75
    The Insane Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    15,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    Do you even lift bro.
    I do, tons amounts of women..

  16. #76
    I am Murloc! Pendra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    5,784
    Me neither.
    Besides motorcycling at most, there really isn't a single sport that I find even remotely interesting - and just watching it makes it even worse.
    It's so boring.

  17. #77
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,700
    Sport is something boring that boring people try to convince each other is something interesting. I had 2 classmates say that only running, swimming and stuff like that were sports, but motosports where you drive 300km/h where people can actually die isn't a sport. Swimming, seriously... I mean football is boring and repetitive to watch but swimming? Makes me shiver just thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  18. #78
    The worst part of club-sports, like soccer is that the biggest clubs with the most money, and upper rich guy supporting the club to a point where he owes it, can buy the best players. Nothing about talent-making, team-building etc, pure money...I will never understand why Soccor is so big for club's...the salleries even that not succesfull soccer players get are fucking retarded....they suck thoes players, will never get known international much, yet they get as much pay as someone with a good eduaction and high paying job.

    I however can enjoy World championship sports abit.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  19. #79
    Pit Lord aztr0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,351
    Isn't that what the playoffs are about? As for the Superbowl, if my team isn't in it, I couldn't care less about it.

  20. #80
    Legendary! TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Yeah, but is it really so?
    The stars likely get a flat salary to compete, then they get a stash of money to play with and the winner takes it all. Leaving the losers with their starter salary..
    Well, I don't know. That's what I actually thought and it's what this guy said. If they go get a salary then it's obviously similar to footballers who get paid anyway but it's not really in the same league since they won't get anywhere near the same amount.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •