Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Question Never really understood the obsession with sports

This isn't a thread to antagonize anyone but to merely understand more about the passion and obsession with sports watcher.

I rarely watch basketball, american football, baseball, etc on television since I never found it entertaining to watch. My biggest reason is because there really isn't much stake in hand. At the end of the day, both teams are paid millions of dollars whether they win or lose. I've always been interested in poker tournaments, and I think it's because theres so much stake involved that it gets pretty intense. One winner, the rest are losers that go home empty handed.

Another thing that bothers me are team-switching. I find it strange a player can be playing for the Lakers, competing against one of their rivals, the Celtics, but eventually one of the Lakers transferring to the Celtics. I don't feel like there's any authentic team spirit or patriotism at all when this stuff happens. Or when your team isn't playing in the super bowl, so you root for another team that could have possibly been a rival to your favorite team. To me a team should be like a loyal band. Once a band member drops, the whole team isn't the same and should be disbanded or giving a new name/color theme.

I also find it odd people can be so adamite and obsessed with a sport they can't even play or never even have played. I understand people like competition, but why not be competitive in something you can actually do? The only time I really enjoy watching sports is if i'm actually at the game. That is when it's a totally different experience.

With the rival thing, you can favour a team and still support other teams when they win. I do that with starcraft - First Stephano gets knocked out of Iron Squid chapter 2, then NesTea does in semifinals when I was cheering for him, then I was cheering for life. I want all of them to win, I just wanted stephano to win the most.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really gotten into the sports watching culture either. I'll sit and watch a football game if I'm with someone else who enjoys football, but I'm just not invested enough to really care enough to turn it on myself. Except the Super Bowl and the World Cup, both of which I'll watch because they're major cultural events.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Watch College football then bro, so much at stake. I played for a division 2 college and it was pretty intense.

It can be exciting to watch when it's on, but generally, I don't go out of my way to watch sports. I guess I just treat it a bit like any other profession. I don't go out of my way to watch the best plumber in the world either. If you knew a bit about plumbing, maybe it'd be exciting. I played a bit of football (Soccer if your country is dumb) and as such I get what's going on. I don't enjoy hockey, basketball, etc at all, since I didn't play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really depends, like some sports are just fun to watch at the top of competiton like the best in the world tennis players between like fedderer an nadal and their longest tennis game in history.
    Stuff like that is amazing to watch. Sometimes you grew up going to Gridiron games with your dad growing up so then you root for the team that you have since you were a kid. Maybe you went to college and you went to all the games whether it be basket ball or gridiron whatever, and you continue to root for those teams into adult hood.

Sports watching is pretty dull. The same goes for any "esports" as well. That has got to be some of the most boring as hell crap in the world to watch. Playing sports (and possibly esports), that's fun usually. But holy crap I would rather watch paper being made. I never understood how people can get so into watching a sport. I would much prefer to play it than watch it.

Deleted
    Neither do I, if theres nothing to lose, where's the tension?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    College football is basically a talent scouting competition for the NFL. Teams winning or losing don't matter, because recruiters are only gonna care about how individuals play at that level.
    Not really quite a bit is at stake. In my town which is a big college town, more women get beat when the Team looses. There is mass demoralization when the team looses. If the team wins enough then they get to go to a bowl game, that the band and cheerleaders get to go on too, usually to a much warmer location, going to bowl games and winning them can bring your school a lot of money.

Deleted
    Bread and games.
    And humane level competition with the very foundation coming from Ancient Greece.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy watching skilled people do something active, and I've always been drawn towards competition. That's really it. There is no way I can explain (or fully understand myself) why I become so incensed about Liverpool Footbal Club, FK Haugesund or Andy Murray, but dammit, sports gets my blood pumping!
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

I do not see the interest in it. If I had nothing else to do and no other option I'll watch it with some interest even if it is 70% commericals

Deleted
    ive never really got into watching sports, i watch the odd match of football, but only really the world cup. i like playing sports but i find watching boring most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose televised sports leagues are better than the Roman gladitorial games or the Spanish bullfighting.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

It's the spirit of competition. It either draws you or it doesn't. I don't care enough to have favorites, but I enjoy skilled competition.

Having said that, the only sport I can stomach much of is American Football, and I'd much rather watch a Halo tournament than that.

watching other people play games is really the dumbest shit i've ever seen. did you know on youtube there are full multi part videos you can watch of someone playing through a console rpg for example? yea, what the hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Long winter days will make a hockey fan out of you..well at least if you are canadian.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it hard to enjoy the regular season of any sport now other than college football. But when playoffs come around I will watch any sport.

In order to really enjoy regular season games you need a team to root for. If you have a team that you keep up with it makes everything more interesting, especially baseball.

I do not think it is sports themselves that people like so much but rather simply having something to root for or against. For spectators at least. Playing sports is obviously a very different experience than watching them.

In the end they are distractions from all of the shit in the world.
    I like sandwiches

Either you get it or you don't. It's just one of those things really. I wouldn't know how to explain it. I love sports and they are one of the biggest parts of my life. It's hard for me to understand when people don't understand that! :P

Sports = reality tv for men. Its a talk show with the game going on in the background. Take away the commentators and its kinda boring unless you play the sport and are looking at techniques and stuff.