Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also, I don't get people who don't watch sports.
    We are the same with people that do..wouldn't they prefer to play them instead? >.<

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    I love American football but not a fan of baseketball and baseball mainly because I never " grew up" with them to extensively know the positions like I did with football.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 10:05 PM ----------

Also, I don't get people who don't watch sports.
    You kind of answered your own question there. If you hadn't grown up with American football either, would you have been into it?

That's not to say growing up with a sport will necessarily make you interested in it for life. I played a lot of football when I was younger and watched it quite a bit too. As I got older, I just grew disinterested. I stopped caring about the teams. I still watch the World Cup and European Championship, but that's as far as it goes.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    We are the same with people that do..wouldn't they prefer to play them instead? >.<
    When you watch anything for entertainment do you want to be in it instead? Do you want to be a musician when you listen to music or an actor when you watch movies? Watching sports to someone who likes sports is like listening to music instead of making it.

I grew up with baseball. Went to many Blue Jays games in Toronto in the early 90's before and after they won the back to back World Series titles.

Just something that I like to watch. If I'm busy, I'll have it on the tv or radio and just listen to it.

There's just something alluring about that game that caught me at an early age.

And as a Canadian, hockey is a niche sport.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care for sports. I'm not apathetic about them, don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't watch them or play them. Unless my girlfriend suddenly wanted to because it is worth it. Sometimes I talk to Dad about Football sometimes but it's rare. He's a big Football fan and I'm not. It's a big thing in America and I'm ok with that. I just don't need it myself personally. I won't go and insult someone for liking it though.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I've been seriously wondering the same thing... It's so pointless!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchline View Post
    Either you get it or you don't. It's just one of those things really. I wouldn't know how to explain it. I love sports and they are one of the biggest parts of my life. It's hard for me to understand when people don't understand that! :P
    truth 100%. it's the spirit of competition. i always enjoy team sports. you choose a side and a true fan will stick with them through thick and thin (raiders fan i am). a lot of times it's about loyalty. in many of those team sports, the fan is the extra member of the team.

as for my sports teams, in the nba i root for the kings(at least for the rest of the season. RIP), mlb = dodgers/athletics, nfl = raiders, nhl = avalanche, world cup soccer/football = mexico/usa.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Valen~ View Post
    I've been seriously wondering the same thing... It's so pointless!
    I might not find this question (and this attitude in particular) so baffling if it wasn't posted on the forums of a website dedicated to an MMO of all things. Entertainment is entertainment. What exactly is hard to comprehend here?

It's because you don't watch hockey!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Love watching hockey and football. Could careless about basketball or baseball. Course baseball I can tolerate during the playoffs. I for one really enjoy racing as I drag race every year for last 20 years. It's my money pit

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Not really, sports are way different live from TV there are no commentators at a live sporting event, and I'd say they are far more exciting that watching from home.
    I find live sports very boring unless im playing. I get free tickets if i want and still prefer to watch at home.

My career is in sports, maybe im just burnt out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    When you watch anything for entertainment do you want to be in it instead? Do you want to be a musician when you listen to music or an actor when you watch movies? Watching sports to someone who likes sports is like listening to music instead of making it.
    nailed it. another great point. peoples just like to enjoy others doing their thing. like martial artists. i like to watch all kinds of fighting or movies with fighting in them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    College football is basically a talent scouting competition for the NFL. Teams winning or losing don't matter, because recruiters are only gonna care about how individuals play at that level.
    Actually its a remarkable way of missing talent through the system not taking acount things like developmental rate over a group of people born up to 12months apart beign grouped together....but thats another point.

I dont mind watching sport, well some sport, motorcyle racing, rugby and a few others, but I really cant follow teams or individuals. I can apprecaite a good game or race, no matter who wins. But I dont really get all worked up, I'd prefer to race my own bike or take part in sports myself, watching other people is something to do only when I cant take part myself.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think its better to play the sport than watching it.

I've never been one to be interested in watching sports of any kind. I'd rather play the sport than watch it but even then I'm not into playing sports competitively just for fun. Sure I'll watch a game if someone turns it on but won't really care about whats going on.

As for the few that posted about growing up with a sport being the reason they like it so much I can see that. I grew up playing soccer and hockey mostly, the rest of the sports there were games here and there but when I lost interest in the sport I lost interest permanently.

I don't get the feeling others do about "their" team playing, or just a game going on but I find other things to do instead. But to each their own really.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Bread and games.
    And humane level competition with the very foundation coming from Ancient Greece.
    I still say modern football needs more flails and lions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Neither do I, I can understand if it would be something yourself are practicing but otherwise all I see is gamblers, crazy hooligans who is to patriotic to their country/city/whatever who is playing. No offence to the people who watch it but I just cant see it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say sports are all about competition.

I have a hypothesis that people who are into sports, are into them because they have very little other forms of competition that they are involved with. Notice how a lot of the people posting in this thread are like "meh, sports, wooo" I believe it is because we have video games to take away the need for sport-based competition.

Leaderboards, K/D ratios, all of that stuff makes one less inclined to feel the urge or need to watch other sports, as our competitive drive is sated already. I could be wrong, but that's why I said it's a hypothesis
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

College players don't get paid unless you count scholarships as a form of payment, but most of them major in sports management anyways, so it's not like they are going to be making 60k a year when they graduate. College football is a lot more entertaining in my opinion than pro football.

I never understood sports myself either...

But I like Super Bowl Sunday - I don't watch it, but it is like a national holiday where all the shops are open but nobody goes out. I can have every shop to myself with no crowds or anything! My favorite thing to do is go to the Zoo on Super Bowl Sunday. Literally NOBODY there! ^_^