Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Anime] which anime would fit for me?

Hi, I have been getting a bit into anime at the moment and have finished black butler, death note and am almost finished with soul eater. I really loved these three series and am looking for something that's like that. I don't really like the stuff with robots etc. I'm not sure why but I watched code geass for example and it just really puts me of. Is there anything you guys suggest?

15+ Year Old Account
    try Code Geass and Guilty Crown for anime with darker themes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Between the third and fourth circle of hell
    I have been watching Fairy Tail lately and have found it quite enjoyable. Black Lagoon is a bit darker then the ones you have watched, but it is also very good.

Desktop: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Dual Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
    Laptop: 2.2GHz Core i7, 8GB DDR3 1333, 2GB Radeon HD 6990

Can't believe you don't like Code Geass, I normally dislike anime that has mecha in it but Code Geass certainly has to be an exception since they're not the main focus of the show in the slightest.

Anyway....

I would recommend:
    - Full Metal Alchemist: Bortherhood
    - Darker Than Black
    - Ao no Exorcist
    - D.Gray Man
    - Guilty Crown (like marcelos suggested)
    - Hunter x Hunter (new version, nowhere near finished yet)

There's probably a ton load more but too tired to think.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not an anime guy by any stretch of the imagination, but code geass is an experience I value in my life. The mechs are really nothing much to do with it at all and you will be doing yourself an injustice if you decide not to stick with code geass just because it has mechs in it. It was emotionally draining to the point of almost exhaustion for me but it was a damn good series.
    "The truth, my goal."

Deleted
    Its not that i didn't like Code geass because of the mecha but I just didn't like the overall theme etc after 10 episodes. But thanks a lot guys. I'll look into these.

If you like soul eater. FMA and FMA:B are both really good and for the love of god watch FMA first, people fanboy hard over FMA:B because it kept to the manga unlike FMA , but the first 10 episodes of FMA:B are nothing sort of terrible in terms of pacing and if you haven't watch FMA you'll miss so much. Also watch Fairy tail, similar enough to soul eater I suppose and I personally preferred it.

If you want something like death note, I think code geass is the closest you'll get, imo it is the best anime I watch outside maybe steins;Gate. So if you ever have free time I'd suggest giving it another try

Baccano is an anime i think everyone should watch. I have no idea why it is not popular at all since it is without a doubt one of the best animes i have ever watched, and everyone i have recommended it to loved it... Just watch it. It deserves to be as popular as any other good anime, even tho it is only 13 (16 with OVA's, they are also really good).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laskahond View Post
    Its not that i didn't like Code geass because of the mecha but I just didn't like the overall theme etc after 10 episodes. But thanks a lot guys. I'll look into these.
    Too bad bro, second season is better. Try:

FMA: Brotherhood
    Fate/Zero
    Black Lagoon
    Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu (Legend of the Legendary Heroes)
    Slayers
    Gintama

Ruroni Kenshin (both the serie and 4 episode Tsuiokuhen which is a masterpiece)
    Elfen Lied
    Angel Beats!
    Cromartie High School
    Great Teacher Onizuka
    Berserk
    Hajime no Ippo
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Mononoke Hime (a movie, and a great one)
    Ghost in the Shell
    Fairy Tail is not half bad too
    Bleach I guess isn't that bad either

Especially the ones i bolded out.
    Last edited by mmoc67b8126f0c; 2013-02-04 at 06:47 PM.

Elfen Lied is pretty gory and stuff. Fairy tail is pretty cool, Sword Art Online I really loved I must say. And alot of the others that have already been mentioned.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I agree with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

The older FMA series....is okay.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    Go get the new Berserk movie, Berserk Golden Arc 1: Egg of the Emperor. There's two more coming, but warning be given: Berserk is NOT kid friendly, especially after lighthearted stuff like Soul Eater or even Death Note. And the Part of the story they made into the movie could by some be considered Japan's Game of Thrones.

Now with more trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF3OP3f2I10
    Last edited by Krawu; 2013-02-02 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How come nobody ever recommends Full Metal Panic in these threads? ,_,
    Durarara!! is also a great one I think.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Elfen Lied is pretty gory and stuff.
    It's not that violent all the time, I can count extreme moments on my fingers and I'd still have room for more. SAO is... fanservice, a lot of wasted potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soul Eater has probably the worst anime ending I've ever seen, it detracts from the real story so much it creates its own ending and it was totally some PG13 "the power of friendship!" bullshit. I would suggest bracing yourself for failure unless you are into that kinda thing. Or go read the manga ^_^ it's also not done yet

Code Geass is awesome, has 2 seasons that will keep you busy for a while.

I've watched a lot (a LOT) of anime, but based on the titles listed above, these are what came to mind:

Darker than Black
    Psycho Pass
    Ghost Hunt
    Elfen Lied
    Higurashi no naku koro ni (When They Cry)
    Full Metal Alchemist (I prefer the original, I've only been able to sit through a couple of Brotherhood eps... felt too "shounen generic" to try more; Al's "new" voice bothers the heck out of me)
    Eden of the East
    Stein's Gate, perhaps? I haven't finished watching that, but it doesn't look like a standard shrieking heroine harem show XD
    Neuro - Supernatural Detective was fun for me, silly but also randomly dark
    Un-GO

Full Metal Panic! is a fun series, but given the series listed by OP not sure how good a fit it'd be. It's been a while since I watched, though, and most of the silliest eps were split into Fumofu

There are lots of good anime out there, we simply all have different tastes. For instance, my friend really enjoyed Excel Saga, while I felt the need to look everywhere but the screen when we did that marathon - I simply could not enjoy it at all. I powered through (some? of) it just so we could start in on another series in her collection because we're both completionists. T_T

One Piece and Naruto and Naruto Shippuden are pretty good. Claymore isn't half bad either. Kenichi is also good if you like martial arts and comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Soul Eater has probably the worst anime ending I've ever seen, it detracts from the real story so much it creates its own ending and it was totally some PG13 "the power of friendship!" bullshit. I would suggest bracing yourself for failure unless you are into that kinda thing. Or go read the manga ^_^ it's also not done yet

Code Geass is awesome, has 2 seasons that will keep you busy for a while.
    Have to agree it was so good up until the ending and that just ruined it. I'd nearly suggest watching it but stopping on the second last episode

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post

Soul Eater has an awkward ending because they ran out of manga to base the anime off of so they wrote their own story for about half the series. What a surprise, that's EXACTLY what they did with FMA until the redid the series several years later as FMA Brotherhood. Same studio, same theme, both damn good anime.

Anyway... emphasis on the bolded titles

Anime that were a hit in the West (these are great in both Japanese and English)
    Cowboy Bebop
    Trigun
    FLCL
    Eureka 7 Psalm of the Planets

From Death Note...
    Mirai Nikki
    Deadman Wonderland
    Psycho Pass

From Soul Eater...
    D-Gray Man
    Hitman Tutor Reborn
    Blue Exorcist
    One Piece
    Sword Art Online

From Black Butler...

Sorry can't give you a follow up for this one, Kuroshitsuji basically just kills everything in that genre through sheer force of badassery.

Enjoy
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Haven't seen Rorouni Kenshin mentioned in this thread yet. Therefore, I'd suggest that one!

As someone who doesn't like anime all that much it was something I quite enjoyed!