Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I dont know Renn, it seems very odd that you would have 2 bad cards.

It may be a motherboard issue. have you got another video card besides the 2 7850's you can try? and have you checked everything in the bios? Some boards, like mine have a gen option under PEG, if it isnt set to auto or set to Gen3 it could cause issues and those are Gen 3 Cards.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can check the BIOS, but I am pretty sure the BIOS is set to automatically adjust the PCI Express lanes. They should be running in 2.0 mode anyway since I am using a Sandy Bridge processor. I have a 6870 sitting around still that works, so I can try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I can check the BIOS, but I am pretty sure the BIOS is set to automatically adjust the PCI Express lanes. They should be running in 2.0 mode anyway since I am using a Sandy Bridge processor. I have a 6870 sitting around still that works, so I can try that.
    Did you install the cap profiles? Anyways run this http://www.evga.com/ocscanner/ and open 2 times GPU-z (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...PU-Z.0.6.7.exe) sensor tab. Enable the artifact scanner option in evga oc scanner x. Provide us a screenshot after a 20min stresstest with the sensor tabs of gpu-z of each gpu open.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did some digging on OCN and it sounds like the issues I am experiencing are not exclusive to me. From what I have gathered, there are issues with running 7850's in Crossfire configuration and that it's causing cards to down clock or even fault out. Neither card was bad independently, but together the both got screwed up royally.

I did some digging on OCN and it sounds like the issues I am experiencing are not exclusive to me. From what I have gathered, there are issues with running 7850's in Crossfire configuration and that it's causing cards to down clock or even fault out. Neither card was bad independently, but together the both got screwed up royally.
    Could you try the things I listed earlier out please? I mean if you have zero artifacts with both gpu's at 99% with full clocks on both cards, there isn't anything wrong with your cards. Instead of immediately RMA'ing everything check if there are any hardware problems on the cards by stresstesting the components otherwise you're going to end to rma almost your PC.

All your hardware is fine, the problem is AMD drivers suck ass. They are currently having a compatability issue with their drivers and the most recent .NET protocol from microsoft. Deal with it and hopefully AMD will pull their head out and fix the driver issues that have been plaguing them as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by phred754 View Post
    All your hardware is fine, the problem is AMD drivers suck ass. They are currently having a compatability issue with their drivers and the most recent .NET protocol from microsoft. Deal with it and hopefully AMD will pull their head out and fix the driver issues that have been plaguing them as of late.
    *citation required.

Got a source for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    *citation required.

Got a source for that?
    Personal experience. I build computers for a living and we have seen issues on every machine with amd graphics since the latest .NET framework was released.

Personal experience. I build computers for a living and we have seen issues on every machine with amd graphics since the latest .NET framework was released.
    My opinion says pretty much the same that AMD drivers are shit but I've been using amd cards for like 5 years without any issues. Like nvidia doesn't have any issues, e.g. the newest whql driver just caused major microstutters in bf3

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have never had driver issues in the last 3 generations of AMD cards, and this is the first time I have experienced any problem with an AMD card up until recently. I will try and throw my cards under a stress test and see what happens.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 06:04 PM ----------

Running a stress test on my first card, though GPU Z lists both cards at 100% load, the EVGA OC Scanner X isn't listing the second card as being under load.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 07:21 PM ----------

Well I ran multiple stress tests with the EVA OC Scanner X at maximum clock speeds and I didn't get any Artifact counts, however my computer did crash when I did the Furry Test Donut stress test. My GPU's were both at 100% load, running at 34 degrees with 100% fan speed.

.NET framework having driver issues isn't sounding too surprising, but saying they've got shit drivers is pretty much destroying the credibility you have, especially when you imply several issues are present, but only point to one.

There are currently known issue with microstutter, but a driver fix is on the way for that as it is. Perhaps it includes fixes for the .NET framework too, but I never paid close attention to that, since it's the first time I even heard of this being an issue in the first place.

Owyeah @OP Something actually came up in my mind. Try to disable ULPS with this tool http://www.overclock.net/t/1088266/u...enable-disable

ULPS is just a power saving option. I had a while ago a CF rig, the drivers were automatically shutting a graphics card down when there's no need for it but you get in an intensiver area then it just starts the 2nd card and there's some serious delay because the 2nd card needs information on the VRAM too I think.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can try that, but I think there is an underlying problem and that it's not the video cards. I dumped my drivers and CCC and popped in my HD 6870, same issues with both release and beta drivers. I am hoping that my processor isn't going defective and that it might be causing issues between the PCI-E lanes and the overall performance of my system, because I fear that could be a possibility. Would it be best to run a Prime95 benchmark test on the stock speed that I am running at and see if it crashes the processor? What kind of software should I use to check my CPU performance under load without running games? Because if it's causing a stutter, the thing should still be well under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Barana View Post
    There's your problem. From everything I've heard Windows 8 absolutely hates games. I'd downgrade (in this case, I'd call it an upgrade) back to Windows 7 and see if that fixes it.
    I have Windows 8 and everything runs buttery smooth no problems at all.

I can try that, but I think there is an underlying problem and that it's not the video cards. I dumped my drivers and CCC and popped in my HD 6870, same issues with both release and beta drivers. I am hoping that my processor isn't going defective and that it might be causing issues between the PCI-E lanes and the overall performance of my system, because I fear that could be a possibility. Would it be best to run a Prime95 benchmark test on the stock speed that I am running at and see if it crashes the processor? What kind of software should I use to check my CPU performance under load without running games? Because if it's causing a stutter, the thing should still be well under warranty.
    Processor defective? If you were able to boot to your PC this means that the CPU is working 100%. It's either working 100% or dead

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Processor defective? If you were able to boot to your PC this means that the CPU is working 100%. It's either working 100% or dead
    That isn't really true, you can have a CPU that isn't fully stable at stock settings. You can even run a CPU with one or a few broken pins and it can work until you put heavy load on it.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    .NET framework having driver issues isn't sounding too surprising, but saying they've got shit drivers is pretty much destroying the credibility you have, especially when you imply several issues are present, but only point to one.

There are currently known issue with microstutter, but a driver fix is on the way for that as it is. Perhaps it includes fixes for the .NET framework too, but I never paid close attention to that, since it's the first time I even heard of this being an issue in the first place.
    AMD driver issues are notorious, Memory Leak in BF3 with windows 8, Hanging after hard shutdown of games in multiple monitor setups in windows 7, CCC letting cards overheat and not properly spinning up the fans, crossfire issues with multiple games, the list goes on and on. I dont care if you think im not credible, ive seen enough crazy issues with them to never buy another amd gpu again. Consider yourself lucky if you have a working AMD setup.

AMD driver issues are notorious, Memory Leak in BF3 with windows 8, Hanging after hard shutdown of games in multiple monitor setups in windows 7, CCC letting cards overheat and not properly spinning up the fans, crossfire issues with multiple games, the list goes on and on. I dont care if you think im not credible, ive seen enough crazy issues with them to never buy another amd gpu again. Consider yourself lucky if you have a working AMD setup.
    Had AMD GPU for 10 years... Had no issues. That said, I haven't had crossfire cards.

I've heard a lot particularly recently about Nvidia drivers not being stable for everyone. This thing works both ways.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Had AMD GPU for 10 years... Had no issues. That said, I haven't had crossfire cards.

I've heard a lot particularly recently about Nvidia drivers not being stable for everyone. This thing works both ways.
    AMD hasnt been making gpu's for 10 years, back when it was ATI drivers were much better.

AMD hasnt been making gpu's for 10 years, back when it was ATI drivers were much better.
    I would say it is the other way around. Had a bunch of issues with ATI drivers but have hardly had any lately, can't remember a single issue the last year and a half.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450