Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Weird Power Supply Pins???

So my family got a new PC. An HP with Windows 8.

I'm trying to move my old graphics card (An HIS graphics card; not sure what model) to the new PC and the power supply has these weird pins. They're black, kind flat. Not like the old White pin connectors my older PC had that my card connects to.

What do I do? Do I NEED to connect the card to the power supply??? (I only ask because the instructions say optional)

Please help.

Are you talking about SATA and Molex power connectors?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Uh. I think so; those look like them, yes.

Are you sure that GPU is even a PCI-E card? I thought molex connectors on GPUs died with AGP slots.
    Could you perhaps get the proper name of the card or something?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Yea, it's a PCI-E x16 slot.

I'll look for the model name.

---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 10:28 PM ----------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161387

This is what I have.

Oh ok, I guess you have the molex to PCI-E adapter connected to your GPU then, can't you unplug that and plug in a PCI-E connector from the PSU?

I'm not entirely sure what that means. I need dummy terms

The connection on your graphics card is not a molex it is a PCI-E and you have a molex to PCI-E adapter connected.

Do you have a PCI-E connector on your power supply? If that is the case you can remove the adapter and connect it directly to your card instead.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    PCI-E would be exactly like the one at the end of the adapter that came with your GPU, but it is possible that if the HP desktop didn't come with a dedicated GPU that the Power Supply is gonna be very basic and have just SATA connectors. Can you take a picture of the PSU inside the new HP?
    “In order to make apple pie from scratch, you must first make the Universe.” Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    The connection on your graphics card is not a molex it is a PCI-E and you have a molex to PCI-E adapter connected.

Do you have a PCI-E connector on your power supply? If that is the case you can remove the adapter and connect it directly to your card instead.
    Yes, I'm using one of those adapters.

As for a PCI-E connecter on my power supply, I do not think so, no.

Quote Originally Posted by ElGeFe View Post
    PCI-E would be exactly like the one at the end of the adapter that came with your GPU, but it is possible that if the HP desktop didn't come with a dedicated GPU that the Power Supply is gonna be very basic and have just SATA connectors. Can you take a picture of the PSU inside the new HP?
    I cannot take a picture at the moment. :\

You should probably get one of these then. http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-S...=sata+to+pci-e

10+ Year Old Account
    Molex = rectangular 4 pin
    SATA = flat strip
    PCI-E = rectangular 6 pin

Your card needs power to work properly. If the system's power does not come with PCI-E ports, you SHOULD be able to connect Molex (4 pin) to PCI-E (6 pin) adapter if you have one. Or you can go buy one. Or get a new power supply.

You should probably get one of these then. http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-S...=sata+to+pci-e
    Aw man. Thank you so much.

Your PSU should either have molex or the PCI-E tho... I have never seen a PSU that had neither or just had sata.... it makes me think either the PCI-E is plugged in somewhere it shouldn't or its modular and just not plugged in?

It might potentially be a 4 pin with a 2 pin extra split off.

So a small update... I got the PCI-E to SATA adapter thing posted above, put it in my computer, and it corrupted the OS ._. What.

10+ Year Old Account
    What model PSU are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by jeleopard View Post
    So a small update... I got the PCI-E to SATA adapter thing posted above, put it in my computer, and it corrupted the OS ._. What.
    That makes no sense, unless you somehow managed to limit the power that goes to your hard drive or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    What model PSU are you using?
    I don't know. It came stock with the computer.
    That makes no sense, unless you somehow managed to limit the power that goes to your hard drive or so.

*shrug* I just plugged it in and it decided to die. I called HP and they're sending a recovery disk, but... What ._.

I don't know. It came stock with the computer.

*shrug* I just plugged it in and it decided to die. I called HP and they're sending a recovery disk, but... What ._.
    Maybe your current PSU just isn't powerful enough to power your GPU.
    Can you read the model or specifications of the PSU inside the case?

10+ Year Old Account
    The adapter had nothing to do with it. However, this could have happened due to your computer using a power supply that isn't large enough to provide enough power to your computer with the video card attached as well.

The fact that your computer has NO PCI-E plugs would also seem to support that idea.

Also, your responses make me nervous. I'm not trying to insult you, but you're in an area most people of your knowledge wouldn't be messing around in. If possible, try to find someone who knows more about computers that can look at your computer.
    Last edited by WarlockJack; 2013-02-09 at 06:03 PM.