Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Why killing Garrosh makes no sense

    I'm not talking from a lore standpoint. Alliance players can already team up and go kill Garrosh. So doesn't that mean he's dead already? Lots of broken mechanics here, players shouldn't be able to attack him or any other major figure that isn't supposed to die in lore yet.

    Or maybe I'm missing a key piece of information that one of you will enlighten me with. I'm hoping I'm just ignorant and this all makes sense somehow.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Choice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    934
    By that logic the whole game stops due to major characters being killable by players. Idea is he's empowered by evil or some cosplay non-sense.

    And I'm not sure he is killable atm, had a go last night and he just chain resets?

    Avast | Signature by Pangcakes | YouTube Channel

  3. #3
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    I'm not talking from a lore standpoint. Alliance players can already team up and go kill Garrosh. So doesn't that mean he's dead already? Lots of broken mechanics here, players shouldn't be able to attack him or any other major figure that isn't supposed to die in lore yet.

    Or maybe I'm missing a key piece of information that one of you will enlighten me with. I'm hoping I'm just ignorant and this all makes sense somehow.
    When you kill him (or any other character) ingame that isnt in an event/dungeon ect. Its just for gamplay, nothing to do with lore ect. It basically never happened.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    By that logic the whole game stops due to major characters being killable by players. Idea is he's empowered by evil or some cosplay non-sense.

    And I'm not sure he is killable atm, had a go last night and he just chain resets?
    Well the thing is it's going to be a big deal to kill him at the end of the expansion but he's already been killed multiple times by the Alliance. Just doesn't make sense.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-01 at 09:53 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    When you kill him (or any other character) ingame that isnt in an event/dungeon ect. Its just for gamplay, nothing to do with lore ect. It basically never happened.
    Yes however it's still immersion breaking IMO. It shouldn't exist if it's just for gameplay when it breaks the lore.

  5. #5
    Legendary! Tommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    6,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    Yes however it's still immersion breaking IMO. It shouldn't exist if it's just for gameplay when it breaks the lore.
    A lot of things break immersion, I can understand where your coming from though, "were going to be killing him as a boss yet its been done 1000 times".

  6. #6
    The Patient crazymack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    <--- that way
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    I'm not talking from a lore standpoint. Alliance players can already team up and go kill Garrosh. So doesn't that mean he's dead already? Lots of broken mechanics here, players shouldn't be able to attack him or any other major figure that isn't supposed to die in lore yet.

    Or maybe I'm missing a key piece of information that one of you will enlighten me with. I'm hoping I'm just ignorant and this all makes sense somehow.
    Its not lore related but you shouldn't be able to kill characters that have not died in lore yet? I'm sorry you're not making any sense.

    Maybe this might help; lore drives the game, the game does not drive the lore.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymack View Post
    Its not lore related but you shouldn't be able to kill characters that have not died in lore yet? I'm sorry you're not making any sense.

    Maybe this might help; lore drives the game, the game does not drive the lore.
    I think you misunderstood and I should have phrased it better. What I meant when I said I'm not talking from a lore standpoint is I'm not saying he shouldn't die because x, y, z. I'm saying he's already been killed a thousand times by the Alliance....but he's this big bad that we're going to fight as the final boss....but he's already dead...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    Well the thing is it's going to be a big deal to kill him at the end of the expansion but he's already been killed multiple times by the Alliance. Just doesn't make sense.
    Consider also that I have killed Bolvar Fordragon when he was the leader of Stormwind. Why, then, was he still alive during Wrath of the Lich King? I also killed Arch Druid Staghelm during BC, but he was alive and well during Cataclysm. You're right - it doesn't match up with lore, but so do a lot of other things that players do (like doing a quest on one character, then going back on another toon to do the same quest. Wasn't it already done?). If player actions always corresponded with lore, then every quest should doable only once by any given person, and any NPC should die only once with no respawn. I'm sure you'd agree that wouldn't make for a very fun game.

    If it really bothers you, you can just pretend that these leaders "aren't really dead." Like Anduin Wrynn, they just appear dead when defeated. How about that?

  9. #9
    So by that any thing in wow should only die once no resets no respawns no battle rez.

    that game would suck.

  10. #10
    When killing Garrosh now, it isn't meaningful what so ever. The only enjoyment is picking off the random Horde players that try to stop you. The fight has no mechanics, and is just a tank and spank. The actual encounter will hopefully be much more meaningful. Especially for Horde players killing their own king.

  11. #11
    Garrosh probably has his own personal priest to rez him whenever the alliance kill him.

  12. #12
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,222
    Yes however it's still immersion breaking IMO. It shouldn't exist if it's just for gameplay when it breaks the lore.
    Then by that logic a lot of Dungeons should be removed, heck even raids.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  13. #13
    I'm not saying that every little thing needs to be consistent with lore, of course that's not possible. This is much bigger than that, it's not some random mob that respawns, it's a freaking final boss of an expansion. I know that all bosses respawn but in lore, once you kill a boss that boss has been defeated. In this case, Garrosh has been killed many times but he's not actually killed in lore.

  14. #14
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    I'm not saying that every little thing needs to be consistent with lore, of course that's not possible. This is much bigger than that, it's not some random mob that respawns, it's a freaking final boss of an expansion. I know that all bosses respawn but in lore, once you kill a boss that boss has been defeated. In this case, Garrosh has been killed many times but he's not actually killed.
    You could say the same about Varian,Velen and all the faction leaders. You would have to apply this to all of the leaders. This is a very unreasonable request.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...htsongg/simple https://twitter.com/Aeluron1989

  15. #15
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    13,837
    When Alliance kill Garrosh, that is not canon.

    Same goes for all the Alliance or Horde leaders.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  16. #16
    Elemental Lord Combatbulter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hanseatic City of Lübeck
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    I'm not saying that every little thing needs to be consistent with lore, of course that's not possible. This is much bigger than that, it's not some random mob that respawns, it's a freaking final boss of an expansion. I know that all bosses respawn but in lore, once you kill a boss that boss has been defeated. In this case, Garrosh has been killed many times but he's not actually killed in lore.
    Because those player actions are considered non canon, you could have killed any faction leader in the past but they still show up now and then. Just accept that not everything a player does is considered canon.
    He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it.

  17. #17
    When he gets killed, he's able to be spirit rezzed. When we killed him as a final boss, he will be so corrupted the spirit healer won't touch him. Or, we will perform some magic to tear away at his very soul, rendering him unable to return to his body.

    If we can spirit rez, why can't our leaders?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post
    I'm not talking from a lore standpoint. Alliance players can already team up and go kill Garrosh. So doesn't that mean he's dead already? Lots of broken mechanics here, players shouldn't be able to attack him or any other major figure that isn't supposed to die in lore yet.

    Or maybe I'm missing a key piece of information that one of you will enlighten me with. I'm hoping I'm just ignorant and this all makes sense somehow.
    Yes you are : it's a video game.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerdus View Post

    Yes however it's still immersion breaking IMO. It shouldn't exist if it's just for gameplay when it breaks the lore.

    SO we should remove every single mechanic of the game ? cool plan there.

  20. #20
    Moderator aiko-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,566
    Immersion needs to take a seat for gameplay, sometimes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •