Page 1 of 13
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216

    The earth is not overpopulated

    Stop saying it is, stop making untrue statements.

    The earth can bear many more people without a problem and truth be told, we DO have food to feed the entire earth, it's just that it is not distributed like that.

    So all in all, the earth is not overpopulated, it can handle more people even.

    http://www.debate.org/debates/The-wo...-eventually/1/

    Makes sense for the most part.
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2013-03-04 at 02:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Pandaren Monk Zogarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,996
    Well... the "good" areas are overpopulated. Sure we could all live in a desert, but who the hell wanna do that...

  3. #3
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,353
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Stop saying it is, stop making untrue statements.

    The earth can bear many more people without a problem and truth be told, we DO have food to feed the entire earth, it's just that it is not distributed like that.

    So all in all, the earth is not overpopulated, it can handle more people even.
    Facts, sources, articles, proof.... Anything? No? Well then clearly you must be a mystical prophet!
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Facts, sources, articles, proof.... Anything? No? Well then clearly you must be a mystical prophet!
    I am relying on good forum people to do that for me!

    Also the people who say it is overpopulated don't come with those either, so clearly, you can say what you want and it is true!

    Wait:

    http://www.debate.org/debates/The-wo...-eventually/1/

    For one.

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Damsbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Posts
    899
    The earth is flat. Stop saying it isn't.
    See, thats you. Thats how you sound. Annoying.

    Edit; there was the link. Beat me by a minute. Well played sir.
    I like juice

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Wishblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,816
    I'd like some proof of your claims and until then I'll continue thinking the Earth is overpopulated.
    "Reminds me of a dog, you stare at it while it's playing outside... Running around in a circle, then stopping up, wagging with a wide "grin". Jumping around until you call for the dog, then it lowers its tail because it think it's done something bad... And then you throw the ball, seeing the tail go straight into the air in bliss! ^^" - Gehco
    Wishblade of Kazzak EU

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fuck you, that's where.
    Posts
    4,492
    We are working towards overpopulation but aren't there yet. If living standards remain as they are today (for us westerners) the world is already overpopulated. We need to stop wasting resources and that means less luxuries (Meat, Soda, rise, potatoes etc). I'm not sure the world wants to do that just yet. I'm not gonna let go of my coca cola or beefs just to feed 10 starving children in god knows what country. I might be a horrible person because of that, but I just wont let it go. I'd rather we keep control of our populations so that everyone can live in luxury instead of plenty living in misery.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

  8. #8
    He has a homework assignment and is trying to get free labor out of you fools =-p

  9. #9
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    He has a homework assignment and is trying to get free labor out of you fools =-p
    Hahaha, actually it may seem so, but currently I am at school on my laptop at IT. Doing nothing really, can't figure how to do some things in Hyper V...

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 03:15 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    We are working towards overpopulation but aren't there yet. If living standards remain as they are today (for us westerners) the world is already overpopulated. We need to stop wasting resources and that means less luxuries (Meat, Soda, rise, potatoes etc). I'm not sure the world wants to do that just yet. I'm not gonna let go of my coca cola or beefs just to feed 10 starving children in god knows what country. I might be a horrible person because of that, but I just wont let it go. I'd rather we keep control of our populations so that everyone can live in luxury instead of plenty living in misery.
    Actually, according to that article we are working towards more people, but then we will decline in population when we reach that peak point.

  10. #10
    well fine then.
    ~

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    well fine then.
    Almost laughed if not for the other people around me in my class.

    Just for the 'okay, if you say so' reaction.

  12. #12
    Mechagnome Sfidt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Well... the "good" areas are overpopulated. Sure we could all live in a desert, but who the hell wanna do that...
    Nevada? 10 chars
    S.H.

  13. #13
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,216
    I would like to live on a small island in the ocean to be honest. Except there is no electricity there or internet.
    Just like Kame house in DBZ.

  14. #14
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,778
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Stop saying it is, stop making untrue statements.

    The earth can bear many more people without a problem and truth be told, we DO have food to feed the entire earth, it's just that it is not distributed like that.

    So all in all, the earth is not overpopulated, it can handle more people even.

    http://www.debate.org/debates/The-wo...-eventually/1/

    Makes sense for the most part.
    The Earth was overpopulated at the beginning of the 20th century, before the Haber process allowed us to create nitrogen from the atmosphere that we could use to improve our farmland. We can sustain a fairly large number of additional humans now, however. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't suffer some loss in quality of life if our population, for example, doubled over the next century.

    The big issue in terms of overpopulation going forward is going to be fresh water and energy, I think.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  15. #15
    My head is over populated... Not enough room for all the voices...

  16. #16
    Dreadlord larrakeyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Australian in NZ
    Posts
    810
    We have enough resources to sustain 16 billion people as of today. The earth is indeed not overpopulated. Malthusian prophets are (and always have been) wrong.

  17. #17
    The Insane Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    I'd like some proof of your claims and until then I'll continue thinking the Earth is overpopulated.
    Thinking the Earth is "overpopulated" is blind ignorance. The Earth can handle many times over our current population. The issues deal around RESOURCES, and that is all. If all resource issues are solved, then we would have no issue having many times over our population.

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fuck you, that's where.
    Posts
    4,492
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Actually, according to that article we are working towards more people, but then we will decline in population when we reach that peak point.
    That is based around the majority having 2.5 children at age 25-35 and living until they are 80. Reality is most of these bastards on this planet has 5-10 children and got their first one at age 14-15 and will live until 80.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

  19. #19
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Facts, sources, articles, proof.... Anything? No? Well then clearly you must be a mystical prophet!
    lol he never does all he does is make threads with goofy topics and then expects people to respond.

  20. #20
    Actually, According to this article, , the entire population of the planet could be "comfortably housed" on a landmass roughly the size of Texas.

    "Comfortably Housed" Being living at the general population density of New York City.

    The problem comes from all the OTHER shit people need to live (mainly enough land to produce food for everyone). However, if the landmass was properly used (IE, not having to ship food THOUSANDS OF MILES to its point of consumption, proper balancing of Agricultural, industrial, recreational, and residential zones), you could probably fairly easily fit the entire population of the earth into the continental united states quite comfortably, assuming that the Entire USA was Re-designed by a modern urban planning team.

    I mean, if you look at the population of a country like Japan, and then contrast that its size with the sheer size (and relative emptyness) of a landmass like Canada or the USA, it does kind of put things into perspective.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2013-03-04 at 02:29 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •