Page 1 of 2
LastLast

10+ Year Old Account
    CPU is supported by Mobo so no worry's there.
    Mobo should easily fit in the case
    would recomend a higher psu but that is just me wanting a bigger psu for possible upgrades a 650watt should do the trick.
    no worry's with the gpu as well
    and the mobo supports the ram.

Overall system should work but i would still highly recomend a 650watt psu.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    -If you don't plan on ever getting an overclocking CPU in this build, get a B75 motherboard for like $50 less
    -Get an Antec VP-450 PSU. About $20 cheaper
    -If you want, use that saved money and get an i5-3350P. Your end build cost is the same, with a better CPU
    -Get 1600 ram instead of 1333. Same price, marginally better performance
    -Consider the 7950. About the same price with better performance

would recomend a higher psu but that is just me wanting a bigger psu for possible upgrades a 650watt should do the trick.
    Usually people building on a budget rarely go dual GPU, ever. There's no reason for a 650 watt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    CPU is supported by Mobo so no worry's there.
    Mobo should easily fit in the case
    no worry's with the gpu as well
    and the mobo supports the ram.

Sounds good, I'll look at bigger PSUs

EDIT: And no, I don't think I'll overclock anything.
    Last edited by Taurous; 2013-02-02 at 04:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    Sounds good, I'll look at bigger PSUs
    You don't need a bigger PSU, simply put. This system, even with the 7950 and i5, doesn't break 350w. A 450 is more than enough. a 650 is a waste of money, unless something is on sale.

10+ Year Old Account
    So now I have:

RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820233144
    MOBO: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813131835

And the GPU that you recommended, I'm liking the current price with the i3 so I'll just stay with that

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe this mobo, save about $30 or so. The ram is fine (IF you want, you could save $4 and get different ram from Outlet PC)

Personally, I'm a fan of saving $5 here and there, and putting it back into the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Maybe this mobo, save about $30 or so. The ram is fine (IF you want, you could save $4 and get different ram from Outlet PC)

Personally, I'm a fan of saving $5 here and there, and putting it back into the system.
    After a bit of research I'm not so sure that the PSU is compatible with the GPU.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...deon-7950.aspx

recommends 500W with two 6-pin PCE connectors and the PSU only has one. Is that a problem?

Nevermind, the gpu seems to come with it's own cables that I can use somehow
    Last edited by Taurous; 2013-02-02 at 07:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the power supply has 1, and the card should have a 2x molex to 1 PCI-E, you ought to be good.

As far as the power requirement goes, they rate those WAY high. That card uses about ~160w, your cpu uses like 60, and everything else uses about 60. It'll rarely ever break 300w

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the power supply has 1, and the card should have a 2x molex to 1 PCI-E, you ought to be good.

As far as the power requirement goes, they rate those WAY high. That card uses about ~160w, your cpu uses like 60, and everything else uses about 60. It'll rarely ever break 300w
    Alright, thanks for the help! I already ordered it :P I'm just really good at freaking myself out when I make large purchases

Deleted
    Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but you can save yourself a decent sum of money and not worry too much about PCIe connectors if you go for these two items

PSU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817194090 - this has two PCIe connectors and has excellent reviews

GPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814202024 - Amazing cooler and out of the box performance which rivals both the GTX 660ti and AMD's 7950. If you play around with the overclocks of this card it will beat a stock (non boost) 7950 and GTX660 ti in most games. Reviews here and here

10+ Year Old Account
    My only thoughts on that are that I have heard (I have not read any reviews though) that Sapphire's manufacture quality has dropped significantly in the recent years. I have seen a number of times people steer aware from Sapphire specifically.

If you wanted to go the 7870 Ghz route, I'd go for something like this or the Gigabyte version. Cheaper, more reliable brand.

My only thoughts on that are that I have heard (I have not read any reviews though) that Sapphire's manufacture quality has dropped significantly in the recent years. I have seen a number of times people steer aware from Sapphire specifically.

If you wanted to go the 7870 Ghz route, I'd go for something like this or the Gigabyte version. Cheaper, more reliable brand.
    I'll second that. Had the HD6950 dirt edition x2 before I got the GTX680. A fan blade broke off on the card while cleaning the case with air-on-a-box. Never buying anything from Sapphire again, crap quality compared to say ASUS or MSI.

Deleted
    I would agree with this to some extent. The 7870 Sapphire card that had the issue was not the one I linked above. Here's an article relating to the very public known issue regarding the 7870 in question.

The one I linked in my previous post is the 7870 Tahiti LE, which has received mostly positive reviews amongst users and professional websites.

In the $250-$300 range, that card is the best bang for buck. It's really worth considering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    The 7870 Sapphire card that had the issue was not the one I linked above. Here's an article relating to the very public known issue regarding the 7870 in question..
    I'm not talking about that. I'm speaking of pretty much all Sapphire cards lately. There's been a lot of talk of poor quality.

Deleted
    Well the card I linked uses Sapphires Dual X cooling solution, which industry reviewers have applauded as being effective and sturdy. The reviews I've read have never mentioned anything in regards to 'poor quality' or cheap components used, so I'm a little confused about this talk of 'poor quality'.

If I had linked a budget Sapphire card, then I could understand the criticism of 'poor quality'. But the card I've linked is part of Sapphire's premium range and its using one of its premium coolers. Its also priced competitively against the 7950 and GTX 660 ti, hence the reason why I've recommended this 'specific' Sapphire card.

10+ Year Old Account
    industry reviewers have applauded as being effective and sturdy
    People paid to say stuff is good? Ya don't say.

Seriously though, a review of one or two cards has no indication of general build quality of cards. And of course, a good one will be sent. I'm talking about many, many people, actual people. Not reviewers. They have stated that the quality is poor. Stuff breaking, repeated RMAs, enough to even note that Sapphire's warranty/service is poor as well.

The dual fans are of crappy quality. I would not recommend a sapphire prduct. End of story. I remember someone bringing parts to me for building, with a Sapphire P67 Pure Black motherboard and some Sapphire 6970 card. System never booted more than 3,5 minutes and he had to crawl to ASUS to replace the MB. Piece of junk all that hardware.

I build about 75 systems a year (I repair even more), I see lots of hardware from all manufacturers and I would never recommend a Sapphire product to anyone unless they are covered by a watertight warranty cause they do produce alot of crap and the golden nuggets are few and far between.

Deleted
    People paid to say stuff is good? Ya don't say.
    Well I've linked a couple of sources that have mentioned positive things about that particular Sapphire card. These sources also speak highly of the MSI, Gigabyte and Asus cards that we all think highly of. Should we now discount these views because we think poorly of Sapphire products?

Lastly all manufacturers are not immune to defective products. I can guarantee you that for every negative review you have of a Sapphire card, I can find matching ones from other manufacturers.

In terms of the RMA issue, I'd have to agree however. I'm based in the UK and Gigabyte ranks as the highest in terms of RMA service. Would this sway me over to a Gigabyte product? Of course it would. But then 'poor quality' services vs 'poor quality' products are two entirely different issues. I'd also like to point out that not very long ago people were pretty unsure of whether to invest in a Gigabyte card. Some people with high post counts on this very forum have shown suspicion with Gigabyte cards when they first started releasing them with the Windforce coolers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Well I've linked a couple of sources that have mentioned positive things about that particular Sapphire card. These sources also speak highly of the MSI, Gigabyte and Asus cards that we all think highly of. Should we now discount these views because we think poorly of Sapphire products?

Lastly all manufacturers are not immune to defective products. I can guarantee you that for every negative review you have of a Sapphire card, I can find matching ones from other manufacturers.

In terms of the RMA issue, I'd have to agree however. I'm based in the UK and Gigabyte ranks as the highest in terms of RMA service. Would this sway me over to a Gigabyte product? Of course it would. But then 'poor quality' services vs 'poor quality' products are two entirely different issues. I'd also like to point out that not very long ago people were pretty unsure of whether to invest in a Gigabyte card. Some people with high post counts on this very forum have shown suspicion with Gigabyte cards when they first started releasing them with the Windforce coolers.
    The windforce coolers have always been good. Only minus with them, at least the early versions, was the length and weight. They could hang a little. I don't know if this is still an issue. Would still recommend them as they are fantastic in terms of cooling.