Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    Do you think mankind ate every 3 hours?
    Lol that's a funny subject. I assumed the average meal came every 4-5 hours (with maybe some small small snacks(, but 3 hours is more likely nowadays. People eat so often.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since gamers aren't exactly the greatest image of health...perhaps speak with your Dr. about it so you don't hurt yourself

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    gamers aren't exactly the greatest image of health
    Stereotype some more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Lol that's a funny subject. I assumed the average meal came every 4-5 hours (with maybe some small small snacks(, but 3 hours is more likely nowadays. People eat so often.
    I was talking about thousands of years ago, not in the present.
    And you dont have to eat every 3 hours ( before anyone asks )

There are different types of fasting

Intermittent: foregoing a certain meal of the day or a set amount of hours each day.

Partial: one fruit fasts, rice fasts, avoiding select foods (meat, fish, milk) some or all of them, having meat only once a day, fasts that are just a healthy diet(Daniel Fast allows fruits and vegetable, avoids meat, sweets, bread). As said, some of the partial fasts are arguably just diets and not actually fasts.

Liquid: you pick water or a fruit to juice. You may have heard of some of those 'super detox' lemon or dandelion tea fasts. (Water is not a gentle fast.)

Dry/Absolute/Hebrew: no food or water for short periods of time, single day to several. (Quite spiritual, but all types can be.)

Supernatural Absolute: the 40 day fasts read of in the bible. (No knowledge on this at all.)

Fasting can be dangerous, especially the more extreme types and the longer you fast for without breaks. There can be quite unpleasant detox symptoms at the start, having a healthy diet and eating less each meal prior to beginning your fast is good preparation. People that have fasted as part of their lifestyle for many years have adjusted to it, going a week without food as your first fast is very dangerous. You should also have a healthy immune system before starting any fast.

When you first try fasting it's fine to stop at any time, don't push yourself to bad health. Your body is going to need time to adjust. Fasts I've been on are water, orange juice, watermelon and mint, Ash Wednesday/Good Friday partial fasts, brown rice.

10+ Year Old Account
    do not fast!!!

it actually breaks down muscles and causes other internal problems- kidneys, liver, stomach, brain- you are eliminating nutrients from your body it will catch up to you.

just eat right and work out. seriously. put in the effort if you want to be fit.

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    Since gamers aren't exactly the greatest image of health...perhaps speak with your Dr. about it so you don't hurt yourself
    some yes, some no.

i personally have met several tough mudders, marathoners, ironman peeps, and general health friends.

not all gamers are overweight and unhealthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osyrus View Post
    do not fast!!!

it actually breaks down muscles and causes other internal problems- kidneys, liver, stomach, brain- you are eliminating nutrients from your body it will catch up to you.

just eat right and work out. seriously. put in the effort if you want to be fit.

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 10:49 PM ----------

some yes, some no.

i personally have met several tough mudders, marathoners, ironman peeps, and general health friends.

not all gamers are overweight and unhealthy.
    If you eat high protein and work out, the amount of muscle you lose during your fasted state is minimal and will not make a difference.
    And no, intermittent fasting will not break down your body.

Fasting wont burn fat any quicker than eating 8 small meals a day. Timing of your meals has no relation to your body composition either. There's no secret hormone that only activated at night going, "oh, I'm eating food, lets store it as fat."
    No ... Just ... No
    Weight loss is so over complicated these days and its no wonder people don't stick to diets for more than a few days
    Weight loss is as simple as eating less calories than what your body burns. There's no other secret.
    Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), this will never be 100% but online calculators will get you in a good ball park.
    Eat at a sensible deficit (200-500)
    If you want to hold on to as much muscle as possible while losing weight then eat at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass (how much you'd weigh of you had no ounce of fat on you)
    Lift HEAVY 3x a week. Make your own routine or find one on the webz. Starting Strength would be a good routine for a novice lifter
    Don't limit what foods you eat. A calorie is a calorie whether it comes from a Big Mac or a salad (this is speaking STRICTLY from a body compositional point of view. I'm not advocating to anyone to eat take away every meal of every day, a lot of it is very low in micros). You want that chocolate bar today? Go for it. As long as you fit it into your calorie intake and hit your carb/fat/protein intakes each day, it'll be fine.
    If you eat at too much of a deficit (around 600+) and don't hit your protein intake and don't lift each week, you run the loss of losing a lot of LBM and when you do hit your goal weight, you'll end up being skinny-fat (time to clean bulk, princess)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you eat high protein and work out, the amount of muscle you lose during your fasted state is minimal and will not make a difference.
    And no, intermittent fasting will not break down your body.
    Yes it will. Intermittent effects wont take immediate effects but prolonged fasting is terrible.

I am sorry to be an a-hole about this but if you want to loose weight you need to put effort in.

Exerts taken from a nutrition book. Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies, Frances Sizer; Ellie Whitney

When protein-sparing energy from carbohydrate and fat is lacking and the need becomes
    urgent, as in starvation, prolonged fasting, or severe calorie restriction, the body must
    dismantle its tissue proteins to obtain amino acids for building the most essential pro-
    teins and for energy. Each protein is taken in its own time: frst, small proteins from
    the blood; then, proteins from the muscles, liver, and other organs. Tus, energy def-
    ciency (starvation) always incurs wasting of lean body tissue as well as loss of fat

The Body’s Response to Fasting If a person doesn’t eat for, say, three whole
    days, then the body makes one adjustment after another. Less than a day into the
    fast, the liver’s glycogen is essentially exhausted. Where, then, can the body ob-
    tain glucose to keep its nervous system going? Not from the muscles’ glycogen be-
    cause that is reserved for the muscles’ own use. Not from the abundant fat stores
    most people carry because these are of no use to the nervous system. Fat cannot be
    converted to glucose—the body lacks enzymes for this conversion.§§ Te muscles,
    heart, and other organs use fat as fuel, but at this stage the nervous system needs
    glucose. The body does, however, possess enzymes that can convert protein to glu-
    cose. Therefore, the underfed body sacrifices the proteins in its lean tissue to supply
    raw materials from which to make glucose.
    If the body were to continue to consume its lean tissue unchecked, death would
    ensue within about ten days. After all, in addition to skeletal muscle, the blood pro-
    teins, liver, digestive tract linings, heart muscle, and lung tissue—all vital tissues—
    are being burned as fuel. (Fasting or starving people remain alive only until their
    stores of fat are gone or until half their lean tissue is gone, whichever comes frst.)
    To prevent this, the body plays its last ace: it converts fat into compounds that the
    nervous system can adapt for use and so forestalls the end. This process is ketosis, an
    adaptation to prolonged fasting or carbohydrate deprivation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osyrus View Post
    Yes it will. Intermittent effects wont take immediate effects but prolonged fasting is terrible.

I am sorry to be an a-hole about this but if you want to loose weight you need to put effort in.

Exerts taken from a nutrition book. Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies, Frances Sizer; Ellie Whitney

When protein-sparing energy from carbohydrate and fat is lacking and the need becomes
    urgent, as in starvation, prolonged fasting, or severe calorie restriction, the body must
    dismantle its tissue proteins to obtain amino acids for building the most essential pro-
    teins and for energy. Each protein is taken in its own time: frst, small proteins from
    the blood; then, proteins from the muscles, liver, and other organs. Tus, energy def-
    ciency (starvation) always incurs wasting of lean body tissue as well as loss of fat

The Body’s Response to Fasting If a person doesn’t eat for, say, three whole
    days,
    then the body makes one adjustment after another. Less than a day into the
    fast, the liver’s glycogen is essentially exhausted. Where, then, can the body ob-
    tain glucose to keep its nervous system going? Not from the muscles’ glycogen be-
    cause that is reserved for the muscles’ own use. Not from the abundant fat stores
    most people carry because these are of no use to the nervous system. Fat cannot be
    converted to glucose—the body lacks enzymes for this conversion.§§ Te muscles,
    heart, and other organs use fat as fuel, but at this stage the nervous system needs
    glucose. The body does, however, possess enzymes that can convert protein to glu-
    cose. Therefore, the underfed body sacrifices the proteins in its lean tissue to supply
    raw materials from which to make glucose.
    If the body were to continue to consume its lean tissue unchecked, death would
    ensue within about ten days. After all, in addition to skeletal muscle, the blood pro-
    teins, liver, digestive tract linings, heart muscle, and lung tissue—all vital tissues—
    are being burned as fuel. (Fasting or starving people remain alive only until their
    stores of fat are gone or until half their lean tissue is gone, whichever comes frst.)
    To prevent this, the body plays its last ace: it converts fat into compounds that the
    nervous system can adapt for use and so forestalls the end. This process is ketosis, an
    adaptation to prolonged fasting or carbohydrate deprivation.
    Stopped reading there, ofc its bad if you fast for long amounts of time. My point was you should fast for max 24 hours maybe once a week / month.
    Fasting wont build muscle faster than eating 6 small meals or whatever you do, actually fasting takes slightly longer to build muscle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stopped reading there, ofc its bad if you fast for long amounts of time. My point was you should fast for max 24 hours maybe once a week / month.
    Fasting wont build muscle faster than eating 6 small meals or whatever you do, actually fasting takes slightly longer to build muscle.
    That is fine.

You are more then welcome to have your opinion I will remain to have mine.

I do IF by skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner with no snacking in between. I do it because it feels natural to me and for increased autophagy. It works out to a seven to eight our window. I see no point in going days without food although I'll occasionally do a 24 hour dinner to dinner fast. Anymore than that is silly, IMO.

The important thing sometimes is to consult a doctor. There are some diets and fasting methods that lead to imbalances in terms of electrolytes and nutrients.

fasting is really good for health. You know what muslims fast for a month and eat only twice a day. This the digestion of food happen quickly. they do not consume water also during the whole day so what I suggest is dont fast like this but eat one meal in a day and eat fruits incase you feel hungry.One meal and no matter you try to eat any foods. Because whatever you eat in this situation your food will be digested easily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marybell View Post
    fasting is really good for health. You know what muslims fast for a month and eat only twice a day. This the digestion of food happen quickly. they do not consume water also during the whole day so what I suggest is dont fast like this but eat one meal in a day and eat fruits incase you feel hungry.One meal and no matter you try to eat any foods. Because whatever you eat in this situation your food will be digested easily.
    If you fast for a month you cant eat twice a day, then its not a month of fasting.