Deleted

Disc as DD on Elegon normal?

My guild (very casual) consists of some old friends and some "random" Members (including me). At the moment we are struggling at Elegon normal, 10-man. We got to Phase 3 only in a few attempts, because our DDs fail quite a lot. But I am more concerned about the last phase. The main problem is, that we have a heal priest, who totally sucks, but is a good friend of the guild lead. Everybody is willing to help him improving his skills, but we have not succeeded yet. On our best tries me as a Druid had like 50% of the raid heal, our priest maybe got half of it. We had him down to 6% once, with 4-4 sparks.
    This week the setup will change slightly. We got a new healer (pally), instead of the my druid (the priest sucks even more at DD, so moving him out is no option). Except of my druid i also have a priest, which has ilvl 483. So here is the question: Do you guys think, i could go with that priest as disc in a DD spot?
    I think the attonement heal would be great support for the 2 main healers and i guess with the help of one of the tanks the sparks should not be a problem (tell me if I'm wrong). Any opinions, maybe anybody even tried it?

If you are already failing to have enough dps, going disc dps will not help. Replace the bad people or have fun wiping on normal content until nerfs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atonement is ridiculously OP and is all you should be doing on Elegon except Spirit Shell+Prayer spam during Pillar phases so people can fail, and probably last phase.

No doubts about it.
    Last edited by Celar; 2013-02-02 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Forgott to put in ''ridiculously''
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    If you are already failing to have enough dps, going disc dps will not help. Replace the bad people or have fun wiping on normal content until nerfs.
    Replacing people is not an option, so we are willing to try different approaches. Due to the fact, that most of us have ilvl 480+, dps is not the real problem. We need a solution for the problem, that our two healers need support during phase 3. And def CD's are already used, we really just need more heal to compensate our priest.

Stack Disc Priests and Affliction Warlocks for this fight if at all possible. I solo heal it on heroic and do 120K-160K DPS (Yes, I said DPS, and I'm healing), depending on how many warlocks we bring. The more sets of Energy Charges you can get down the better this fight will go for you, and nobody does it as well as an Affliction Warlock.

I can't stress the Affliction Warlock thing enough -- we can usually take down 9 sets of Energy Charges at a time with just one Affliction Warlock, the amount of damage they add to Energy Charges completely blows every other class out of the water.
    Last edited by Lothrik; 2013-02-02 at 09:20 AM.

Deleted
    How much Spirit would you recommend for only Smiting? And reforging for crit is the right choice for smiting, isn't it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am at around 9k spirit on my Priest when I Atonement Protectors heroic-elite or Sha of Fear heroic, which frankly is more than enough unless you have too much haste left even after reforging it all away.
    Also I would go twist of Fate instead of Power Infusion on this fight and just make sure to dps all the adds in all the phases.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ralon/advanced

Int gems->Spirit->Crit->Mastery

Oh and you are a 10 man guild, right? Cus everything I said is for 10 mans. I personally never tried 25 mans, and my priest is my alt so I don't know, although I would guess Atonement would benefit your raid the most in 25 mans aswell due to the smart healing it does and the 50% de-buff on boss.
    Last edited by Celar; 2013-02-02 at 10:13 AM.
    3 manning all Challenge Modes on GOLD! - Youtube.com/MyCelar

483 vs 502 ilvl is pretty damn steep at this point in the expansion. And knowing you have someone that is weak and not doing anything about will only continue to grow. It's not like doing the first 4 bosses over and over will some how bridge that gap over night either. You'll feel it again on other healing fights as well even when you finally down elegon.

If he's a friend and you can't just replace him, hunker down for a lot of wipes and accept it for what it is.

Deleted
    Is it possible for you to go shadow on your priest instead? Shadow have some great extra healing CDs too help the healing, like going divine star when you stack up in p3 do heal quite alot. Especially Vampiric Embrace can keep the raid up with the healers doing nothing in the last phase with the huge dps increase on the boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go holy dps. Seriously. It's far better than disc, and with instants like CoH, Cascade, and PoM mixed in when you have to move you can accomplish good healing. Also, divine hymn.

Holy is just incredibly strong dps right now.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Quote Originally Posted by Celar View Post
    I am at around 9k spirit on my Priest when I Atonement Protectors heroic-elite or Sha of Fear heroic, which frankly is more than enough unless you have too much haste left even after reforging it all away.
    Also I would go twist of Fate instead of Power Infusion on this fight and just make sure to dps all the adds in all the phases.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ralon/advanced

Int gems->Spirit->Crit->Mastery

Oh and you are a 10 man guild, right? Cus everything I said is for 10 mans. I personally never tried 25 mans, and my priest is my alt so I don't know, although I would guess Atonement would benefit your raid the most in 25 mans aswell due to the smart healing it does and the 50% de-buff on boss.
    Atonement works just as well in 10/25man obviously due to the debuffs on Elegon, the more stacks on him the stronger atonement becomes, 50% sounds VERY low usually when we just want to kill him without having to bother with taking down a massive amount of sparks elegon is 120% debuffed in the last phase.

But i wouldnt use a disco priest as a standin for a dmg dealer at lower item levels and in a raid full of fails.

A small pointer on this fight:
    Depending on your dps comp you might opt for more/less sparks.
    2+ Melee try for atleast 5 sparks per phase.
    Less than 2 melee you can get away with less sparks.

This is even more accurate if your running with warriors as melee dps due to stupidly OP executes in the last phase.

As mentioned higher up in this thread, Affliction warlocks REALLY shine on this fight and if your lucky enough to have more than one this fight will be VERY easy.

Deleted
    Shadow would be a possibility, I also thought of holy dps. Most of my gear has spirit on it, I could reforge for a good shadow setup, but for holy dps there might be too much spirit left. Maybe we can encourage the other priest to mainly heal over atonement, too, so the two Discs should compensate a real DD with a lot of smart heal. We have two locks btw, one is Afflication, and olny one melee.

holy dps on this fight would be silly - the reason you'd bring a dpriest would be to replace an otherwise 0 dps high hps healer to help pad out your group's dps. if you just want someone to dps you may as well go shadow - it's actually a very strong fight for shadow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by snaxattax View Post
    holy dps on this fight would be silly - the reason you'd bring a dpriest would be to replace an otherwise 0 dps high hps healer to help pad out your group's dps. if you just want someone to dps you may as well go shadow - it's actually a very strong fight for shadow.
    If you got 1 healer then an additional holy or disc makes sense. FDCL's Flash Heals and CoH are 1 GCD, and with red chakra the damage would be very high whereas you need 2 healers during the transitions. Atonement would heal for a lot as well, but so does stuff like shaman's healing CD which is based on damage. Holy or disc or shadow, ToF is insane here due to stacking debuff. I would also spec glyph of holy fire and glyph of smite.

If you bring any Priest at all to this fight and they're not doing Atonement, they're holding their group back, period.

Even a Shadow Priest switching to Disc offspec can contribute considerably more healing than most MS healers on this fight. I'd argue that it might even be better in this case, because if you're rolling Atonement for an entire fight you want as much output and as little Spirit as possible (within reason of course, you still need enough to Smite/Holy Fire/Penance), which is a lot more feasible if you already have Shadow gear.

Holy DPS is an absurd suggestion. It requires very specific gear to be viable, which is a completely unrealistic expectation from a casual guild, and even if they had the requisite gear, they would still contribute boatloads more as Disc.

Edit: Seriously though. Bring Affliction Warlocks. Get more sets of Energy Charges down. Don't just be satisfied with 4 or 5. Go as high as you can possibly go, this will make the entire fight easier.

Deleted
    Shadow is very good on this fight as well due to ToF.

Monk/rdruid and holy go well together here, too. Holy should do more damage than disc (but less healing). If their priest is familiar with holy and not with disc they should just stick with holy instead of going disc. It works fine.

I atonement heal Elegon with a resto druid picking up the slack. Usually, I pull around 75-80k dps over the course of the fight, and do almost double the healing of our resto druid, a fair chunk of which comes from the last phase as I continue to atonement heal just to get the boss down faster. Since I tried atonement on this fight, we have never wiped due to a lack of healing and the additional dps makes the sparks a little easier and the boss fight shorter overall.
    You should try getting the priest in your guild to do the same, it may work or it may not, but it works well for us with our setup.

On another note, what exactly do affliction warlocks do that is so amazing on this fight? We have one, but she tends to be pretty lacking on this fight, and other members of the guild put it down to target swapping mechanics (which I'm pretty sure is bull, due to soul swap). Is it soul sharded seeds of corruption that makes them great, applying corruption to all the sparks when they spawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Macanam View Post
    Is it soul sharded seeds of corruption that makes them great, applying corruption to all the sparks when they spawn?
    Yes, it is. http://worldoflogs.com/reports/u33rb...=22159&e=22512

Edit: question was answered
    Last edited by zaneosak; 2013-02-03 at 11:56 PM.