The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Old Gods question.

Hokay, it's been a while since i've breached the topic of the Old Gods. I've given up speculating since blizzard just keeps raping my thoughts. So, i'm now back with a new question. Can Old Gods breed? Is this stated anywhere? I mean, i know they're theoretically eternal...and shouldn't need to, but CAN they? They had to come from somewhere. Is there still no official number on how many there were? What about old gods on other planets? Anything? Also, does anyone know if Dark Side still posts here?

we don't know that, though I would suspect izo'rath, shu'ma and go'rath are spawns of the old gods.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    It do not seem that they can, but it seems than they can simply create minions whenever they want, faceless ones are one of them.

They were 5 on Azeroth :

C'Thun
    Yogg-Saron
    Y'Shaarj
    N'Zoth
    ???

Well, when the titans killed Y'shaarj they realized that was a bad idea. So that either means they didn't encounter old gods on other worlds or the old gods on Azeroth were different than those elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Well, when the titans killed Y'shaarj they realized that was a bad idea. So that either means they didn't encounter old gods on other worlds or the old gods on Azeroth were different than those elsewhere.
    players found an old god in outlands. if the titans didn't find any outside azeroth, they are just bad at searching for them lol

though the tribunal of ages tells us this:

"Creators arrived to extirpate symbiotic infection. Assessment revealed that Old God infestation had grown malignant. Excising parasites would result in loss of host."

so just being an old god doesn't mean that if you die you destroy the planet. only if the "infestation grows malignant".
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe no one already knows if they can, but damn i sure hope not.
    Last edited by Lord Pebbleton; 2013-02-02 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    players found an old god in outlands. if the titans didn't find any outside azeroth, they are just bad at searching for them lol

In Outland? You're not referring to the end boss of Arcatraz are you? Not sure it would be fair to consider that a native of Outlands, considering that Arcatraz was a prison for incredibly dangerous beings.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luneward View Post
    In Outland? You're not referring to the end boss of Arcatraz are you? Not sure it would be fair to consider that a native of Outlands, considering that Arcatraz was a prison for incredibly dangerous beings.
    No, he's referring to the blue thing using C'Thun's model in Shadowmoon's valley, Arrakoa are trying to bring it to Outland and they say that it's a very very very ancient power.

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post

"Creators arrived to extirpate symbiotic infection. Assessment revealed that Old God infestation had grown malignant. Excising parasites would result in loss of host."

so just being an old god doesn't mean that if you die you destroy the planet. only if the "infestation grows malignant".
    Maybe they had enough encounters that the old gods adapted their strategy. Probably means that the Curse of Flesh didn't happen on other titan worlds.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    forgot this one: while i'm on the subject....did we ever actually get confirmation that Hakkar is the son of an old god?

Quote Originally Posted by deadllbolt View Post
    ? Also, does anyone know if Dark Side still posts here?
    Haven't seen him around for ages I miss Dark Side, I loved reading his posts, and I am sure he would have some theory based on your question

Deleted
    They should just have exterminated them anyway, even if it meant the destruction of the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    forgot this one: while i'm on the subject....did we ever actually get confirmation that Hakkar is the son of an old god?
    According to Wowpedia Hakkar is the Loa of Blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Please tell me this is one the exception to Rule 34.
    There are NO exceptions to rule 34.

On topic, I don't think old gods have to breed to reproduce, they just multiply a-sexually like bacteria.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can Old Gods breed? Is this stated anywhere? I mean, i know they're theoretically eternal...and shouldn't need to, but CAN they? They had to come from somewhere.
    There's no official info on the source or life-cycle of the Old Gods, even if such things exist. Faceless Ones seem to be spawned by them. Y'Shaarj spawned the Sha when he died. So the Old Gods can produce creatures... whether they could actually give birth to other entities like themselves is another matter. Perhaps anything born from an Old God, given enough time and 'nourishment', might rise to become as powerful as them, thus becoming an Old God. Who knows how long such a process would take... they aren't called Old Gods for nothing.

Personally, I think they're far beyond biology for things like life-cycles... they do not die, so neither can they really be alive, and could not produce life. They may spawn creatures like Y'Shaarj, and these creatures may grow to inherit their power - I suspect that if the Sha devour one-another, the final victor would be akin to Y'Shaarj reborn. A new entity, but with all the potential Y'Shaarj had - a 'New' God.

Is there still no official number on how many there were? What about old gods on other planets? Anything?
    It's known that the Old Gods come from another realm and have to be summoned into ours - I imagine they have filled their own plane to burst. If they do not die, they can continue to grow and grow, filling every world... if they even have physical matter in their universe at all. The ruleset could be completely different.

The undead arakkoa in Shadowmoon Valley tried to summon an Old God. It's also theorized that something caused the ancient earth giants of Draenor to devolve into ogres, gronn, ettin, and orcs. Perhaps something akin to the Curse of Flesh.

Also, the arakkoa supposedly had an ancient civilization that fell long before the current era. If arakkoa know enough about Old Gods to summon one now, it's possible they knew about them back then, too. Plus there are some parallels between arakkoa Apexis crystals (which boosted ogre intelligence), and the kajamite ore of Azeroth which boost goblin intelligence (and made Brann Bronzebeard somewhat nervous - possibly indicating that kajamite ore was similar to saronite - the blood of an Old God).

Also, does anyone know if Dark Side still posts here?
    Not for a while now. He has moved on to other interests, last I heard.

Hakkar is a troll Loa, but like all animal demigods he appears to have a connection to the Emerald Dream, like the Ancients of Mount Hjyal. And the Dream is still infested with the Nightmare, a creation of the Old God N'Zoth. So, while not a direct creation like the Sha or Faceless, Hakkar may still be their servant, or at least partially tainted by the Nightmare.
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2013-02-14 at 06:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mmmmm ...im not sure about this one. Asexually or not, a female night elf walking by just might be tempting enough. o.O.

I know you have probably already read it before. but WoWInsider had an article based on Old Gods some time ago. In it the writer explains that if there is some parallel between HP Lovecraft and Warcraft lore on old gods, then Azeroth (the planet) itself might actually be an Old God that the Titans encased in stone out in the void because they could not kill it (so they had to contain it).

And from this encased Old God came the other Old Gods like C'thun and Yogg. And the races that live on the planet are manifestations of the Old God encased inside the planet's stone. So this is why the titans cannot bring themselves to actually kill an old god. Because if they did then it would weaken or kill the planet (meta-old god) and in turn ruin all life that sprung up on the planet. It's all very interesting stuff. I really like the old god lore and I enjoy Lovecraft as well. Excited to see where they take these arcs

Edit: I am not allowed to post links on a new account (cant remember the PW/email for my old acct). If you go to WowInsider and search Old God/Know your Lore, then you'll find it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Automaticc View Post
    Mmmmm ...im not sure about this one. Asexually or not, a female night elf walking by just might be tempting enough. o.O.
    Well, N'Zoth's got Azshara. I guess that's close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Please tell me this is one the exception to Rule 34.
    101 interwebs to the sick bastard who makes this nightmare a reality.