Need some on advice losing weight - in a wheelchair.

I had just started a diet, a few days later I broke my foot. I'll be recovering, and in a wheelchair/crutches until late March. Is there anyway to trim down on pounds while being confined in a wheelchair? I'm not a big fan of weight loss pills, especially while taking all these other pills. I mostly want to lose pounds, more than build muscle. I have been lifting weights with my arms, but as for the pounds. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    I had just started a diet, a few days later I broke my foot. I'll be recovering, and in a wheelchair/crutches until late March. Is there anyway to trim down on pounds while being confined in a wheelchair? I'm not a big fan of weight loss pills, especially while taking all these other pills. I mostly want to lose pounds, more than build muscle. I have been lifting weights with my arms, but as for the pounds. Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Wheelchair or not, there is no difference, it all comes down to diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Labze View Post
    Wheelchair or not, there is no difference, it all comes down to diet.
    Yeah I understand that. Was wondering if there was more to it then just that though. I don't think there is a range of things I can really do besides good diet.

Losing weight comes down to a simple equation: you must take in less calories than you spend. A normal 5'10" male would usually consume 2000 calories per day, but you can get by with 1400-1600 as long as it's low in fat and balanced.

Usually, if you're not trying to build up muscle, cardio workout is what's recommended, but can be hard with an injury. I'd suggest talking to your physician as he might be able to recommend something that is safe to do with your injury.

I myself lost 35 pounds in about 5 months last year just by eating less and walking more, but I was already eating a decently balanced diet, just eating too much of it :-)

My old man has lost a little over 120lbs in the last year mostly from eating well and a very small bit of exercise (he's had two discs in his back removed and can't do much physical activity), so you can definitely lose weight just by eating healthy. You just need to do a little research on recipes, food substitutes, and how to prepare your meals and stay committed to it. It's alright to wander off the path every now and again, but stray too long from eating right and you'll quickly gain the weight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    Yeah I understand that. Was wondering if there was more to it then just that though. I don't think there is a range of things I can really do besides good diet.
    Well for starters make sure your diet has plenty of protein and fiber. Lifting weights is as good as cardio, given that you do it with proper intensity. We have a guy in wheelchair with a paralyzed leg and a damaged foot who manages to do great down in the gym, he does everything by himself and manages great bench presses, thats motivational for the rest. So if you have or plan to get a gym membership, don't let the wheelchair knock you out of it.

Besides that, theres not much to do. You could go outside and race in a wheel chair for cardio, not sure how viable that is though but sounds fun :-)

Thanks for the replies fellas. I will continue to have a good diet, I'm not planning to get a membership just yet. Saving that for when I'm healed fully. I'll get to work on changing my diet to include more protein and fiber (and then go race :P). Thanks a lot guys.

Diet can help you create an energy deficit and lose weight.