Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    What about paying subscribers that are yet to reach 86? Doesn't their money count for you?

So you are only counting people that are level 86 or higher, have posted an auction or are guilded as subscribers?
    Considering that website only counts US and EU servers I would say that 5.5 million is a vast over estimation. I think that there may have been a further million sales on top of the first week MOP sales of 2.7 million at most I would say that the US/EU population is around the 4 million mark.

Unless you're an investor, or looking to invest into Blizzard, the subscriber numbers mean nothing to you.

Personally, I think they'll dip a bit as with what always happens after an expansion.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2013-02-03 at 01:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by felix87 View Post
    nope .
    I come with numbers and data. What do you have? Faith?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Unless you're an investor, or looking to invest into Blizzard, the subscriber numbers mean nothing to you.
    Such a flawed and ill-thought comment. Lots of people have made this comment so far, but just to clarify this up..

Loss of Subs = Redesigns, to bring people back or into it. If there is a loss of subs it means there is something wrong with the game that needs to be addressed. Loss of subs is what brought us things like SoR and Annual Sub with bonuses (These are examples).

Despite what people may or may not want to believe, Blizzard doesn't take a loss in subs lightly when it's a significant number. 500k-1mil is a significant number, and is what I believe has been lost, however I could be wrong and am willing to accept that.

However, if my prediction is correct, expect some changes. They may not be huge changes, but it will contribute to the game.

My Prediciton is based off of:
    Amount of low population realms (Despite what people may think, the "Population" listed in the realm selection is relative based on overall population. This is why late at night/early in the morning you will see several normally dead realms listed as "Medium", meanwhile you login and there's roughly 100-300 people on.)
    Current State of PvP Balance
    Current State of PvE Balance
    End game heavily designed around dailies. There are other less rewarding options to get you to the same place at a slower rate.
    Rehashing old content over and over again.
    Seemingly Uninspired art when it comes to armor/weapons.

These are all examples of reasons why I believe people are leaving, and of course are subjective to the way a player feels. I could be right, however I could be wrong and am not worried if I am.

Personally I think a nice sub loss would be great for the game in the long run, because it will force Blizzard into figuring out where they went wrong and correcting it, possibly bringing this game back on track.

Yes, I currently am a Subscriber of World of Warcraft, yes I can still find some enjoyment out of the game. However I feel as if it's not living up to it's potential these days, and because of that I believe there will be a loss in subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Personally I think a nice sub loss would be great for the game in the long run, because it will force Blizzard into figuring out where they went wrong and correcting it, possibly bringing this game back on track.
    To play devil's advocate: it might instead push them into a massively exploitative, P2W model where they try to wring every last dollar out of a declining game.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    To play devil's advocate: it might instead push them into a massively exploitative, P2W model where they try to wring every last dollar out of a declining game.
    Because they can make more via subs and Blizzard store with this many subs rather than using a F2P/P2W model. You have to keep in mind, many people do not enjoy a F2P/P2W model, such as myself. I'd like to think there are quite a few others who would rather just pay $15 monthly and get everything, rather than being nickle and dimed left and right to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You shouldn't really hope for that.
    Why not? Because you will never know why people left and what direction they will go.

Let's take feature X and feature Y, you approve of X and hate Y.
    Other people, a majority, might have left because they dislike X and love Y.
    So what does Blizzard do: They do more with Y and dispose of X, the opposite of what you'd want.

I also really hate some of the things in this game, but I hardly care about a subloss because I can never know if the majority shares my opinion.
    When you cancel your Sub Blizz asks why you cancelled. They can get quite a bit of feedback assuming people gave appropriate answers. Other than that, they would be able to see trends in when people left, and the time frame in which things changed.

Again, if Blizzard focused more on balancing classes in PvP and PvE, they would save a large chunk of the subs.

Yes, you should hope for a loss in subs when the game is going into what you feel is the wrong direction, this why they can steer the ship back on the right course.

Sitting there hoping subs never fall is just like telling someone who is doing something wrong that they are doing a great job. This is what everyone means when they say "Speak with your wallet".

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    9 million by Blizzard (which actually means 5.5 million without lies).

Based on http://wow.realmpop.com/

EU: 2,921,261 Characters from level 86-90 (many of them alts, and some of them already unsubbed)
    US: 2,663,053 Characters from level 86-90 (many of them alts, and some of them already unsubbed)
    Blizzard has absolutely nothing to gain from lying about subscription numbers especially considering the fact that providing false information to investors is a felony and would only result in significant fines from the SEC and potential jail time for all those involved. Also there is the fact that before each and every quarterly report Blizzard has an independent auditor go through their books to verify everything before ANYTHING is presented to current and potential investors.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 11:06 AM ----------

Minus: alts, unsubbed, you could also add multiboxers here if you are thinking about people as numbers. Also many SoR users, 10 days MoP free trials...
    Plus: people who didn't reach lvl 86 yet

Also, there is no WoW subscription fee in China.

I think it's kinda balanced.
    I know this may be a shocker but paying accounts are paying accounts regardless of who they are, where they live, how much they pay, why they pay, how they pay and if they bother playing at all. Shareholders honestly don't give a fuck about subscription numbers as long as there is a return on their investment and despite heavy subscription losses Blizzard has been able to provide their investors with exactly that.

Why do you people insist on being ignorant twats? As long as blizzard is obligated by law to say how many ACTIVE subscribers they have at THAT TIME, you saying that they are announcing fake numbers means only that you don't have enough brain power to read.

WoW reached 12mil subs in the end of BC and dropped with the launch of WotLK only to reach 12 mil again with the China launch that was in a quarter where they had to announce the numbers so it was at that point official.

What numbers and data? The only information we have is what Blizzard provides to their investors and again Blizzard just simply isn't going to risk jail time just to pump up their numbers.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 11:12 AM ----------

Such a flawed and ill-thought comment. Lots of people have made this comment so far, but just to clarify this up..

Loss of Subs = Redesigns, to bring people back or into it. If there is a loss of subs it means there is something wrong with the game that needs to be addressed. Loss of subs is what brought us things like SoR and Annual Sub with bonuses (These are examples).

Despite what people may or may not want to believe, Blizzard doesn't take a loss in subs lightly when it's a significant number. 500k-1mil is a significant number, and is what I believe has been lost, however I could be wrong and am willing to accept that.

However, if my prediction is correct, expect some changes. They may not be huge changes, but it will contribute to the game.

My Prediciton is based off of:
    Amount of low population realms (Despite what people may think, the "Population" listed in the realm selection is relative based on overall population. This is why late at night/early in the morning you will see several normally dead realms listed as "Medium", meanwhile you login and there's roughly 100-300 people on.)
    Current State of PvP Balance
    Current State of PvE Balance
    End game heavily designed around dailies. There are other less rewarding options to get you to the same place at a slower rate.
    Rehashing old content over and over again.
    Seemingly Uninspired art when it comes to armor/weapons.

These are all examples of reasons why I believe people are leaving, and of course are subjective to the way a player feels. I could be right, however I could be wrong and am not worried if I am.

Yes, I currently am a Subscriber of World of Warcraft, yes I can still find some enjoyment out of the game. However I feel as if it's not living up to it's potential these days, and because of that I believe there will be a loss in subs.
    What you people need to get through your thick skulls is that just because YOU personally don't like the direction the game is going in doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. For every person who thinks the game is broken and terrible there is at least one other person who is quite happy with the game as is.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 11:14 AM ----------

Because they can make more via subs and Blizzard store with this many subs rather than using a F2P/P2W model. You have to keep in mind, many people do not enjoy a F2P/P2W model, such as myself. I'd like to think there are quite a few others who would rather just pay $15 monthly and get everything, rather than being nickle and dimed left and right to compete.

When you cancel your Sub Blizz asks why you cancelled. They can get quite a bit of feedback assuming people gave appropriate answers. Other than that, they would be able to see trends in when people left, and the time frame in which things changed.

Again, if Blizzard focused more on balancing classes in PvP and PvE, they would save a large chunk of the subs.

Yes, you should hope for a loss in subs when the game is going into what you feel is the wrong direction, this why they can steer the ship back on the right course.

Sitting there hoping subs never fall is just like telling someone who is doing something wrong that they are doing a great job. This is what everyone means when they say "Speak with your wallet".
    What of the paying customers who like the game as is? Do they not matter? Or do customers only matter as long as your own pet issues and agenda are being addressed?

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    What you people need to get through your thick skulls is that just because YOU personally don't like the direction the game is going in doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. For every person who thinks the game is broken and terrible there is at least one other person who is quite happy with the game as is.
    That's an amazingly bold claim. I'd like to think that when numbers are steadily dropping, it isn't the case. Again, I have no current proof that the numbers are in decline, but I firmly believe they are based on my own observations. We'll find out shortly.

Also, for the ones absolutely happy with the current game, I'm happy they are happy. However, I'm not happy with a sub-optimal product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    If I quit, it'll be because I've been playing too long or can't dedicate "enough" time anymore. I got other means to stay in touch with friends in the game.

What I find frustrating is this NEVER ENDING complaints that seem to think that the current is always worse than it was. It's sickening. It spreads negativity often based on rhetoric or false ideas. PvP has always had balance issues. There will always be players frustrated with something. And hey, happy players aren't going to make threads about something they find neat.

Players complaining about dailies take no heed as to why "forced" world interaction is a necessity. Perhaps they started in WLK or Cata and has gotten used to factions being nothing but an uncapped rep bar that they can fill without leaving a city.

No, Blizzard doesn't panic when subs go down. Of course they don't want it, but it's incredibly cynical to attribute sub losses as a sign that the game has taken a wrong turn. 10 million despite being as old as it is. Like it or not, Blizzard is doing things right. But WHATEVER the fuck they implement or focus on, there'll be players there whining about it.

Sub losses are not because of game quality decaying (lol, compare raids from 5-6 years ago to today) but mostly because there's not a single gamer who still hasn't tried out WoW if he or she had any interest. Classics success was based on lack of competition and it being WARCRAFT. Burning Crusade had ILLIDAN and it was the FIRST EXPANSION.
    The flow of new players has decreased steadily, as anyone with a bit of common sense can understand is not based upon quality, but age.

There will never be an end to the complaints. There's no end to the muppets who's going to attribute sub losses that has a myriad of reasons to whatever feature THEY feel has declined. I can understand why most devs don't spend time on the forums, if they did they'd might get the idea a majority of the current players aren't enjoying the game. Or that everything they work on is just bad. Forum mentality.

Personally I hope every spoiled 4.3 2h-cap brat has left the game. The game sure won't be worse without them.
    It's bad enough that they managed to whine enough that Blizzard is going to implement a capped championing system in 5.2, that risks making the world once again obsolete.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2013-02-03 at 03:22 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Based on http://wow.realmpop.com/

EU: 2,921,261 Characters from level 86-90 (many of them alts, and some of them already unsubbed)
    US: 2,663,053 Characters from level 86-90 (many of them alts, and some of them already unsubbed)
    Lol.
    I like this source.

Deleted

Your numbers might be true but you forgot the most important player base which is China and the other small regions

and I agree,

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post

It doesn't matter how good expansions are when a game is this old. It doesn't attract new players anywhere close to it did when it was new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol.
    I like this source.
    Why didn't he consider China? Are there still people who think there's 9-10 million players in the US/EU alone?

Deleted
    I hope subcription numbers have increased since the launch of MoP, but yeah a lot of people were bitching about 'forced' content and having to do too many dailys (which are optional), so considering that there's hype for the next patch, I'd say we'll see a small increase. Maybe 10 millions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I hope subcription numbers have increased since the launch of MoP, but yeah a lot of people were bitching about 'forced' content and having to do too many dailys (which are optional), so considering that there's hype for the next patch, I'd say we'll see a small increase. Maybe 10 millions.
    Evidently it doesn't matter if it increases, remain steady or faces a slight loss.
    Those who want to use such arbitrary numbers as evidence for whatever aspect of the game they're currently not satisfied with are going to twist it anyway, see post 245

Evidently it doesn't matter if it increases, remain steady or faces a slight loss.
    Those who want to use such arbitrary numbers as evidence for whatever aspect of the game they're currently not satisfied with are going to twist it anyway, see post 245
    What does my post have to do with twisting anything? Or using arbitrary numbers?

Deleted
    Wrong, I want WoW to be successful and thus I like high subscription numbers. If numbers drop, Blizzard has less money, less money means a decrease of quality.

That's an amazingly bold claim. I'd like to think that when numbers are steadily dropping, it isn't the case. Again, I have no current proof that the numbers are in decline, but I firmly believe they are based on my own observations. We'll find out shortly.

Also, for the ones absolutely happy with the current game, I'm happy they are happy. However, I'm not happy with a sub-optimal product.
    That's great. You are welcome to have your own opinion and voice it but realize this; your opinion is yours and yours alone and you speak for no one else but yourself. Again just because you have problems with the game doesn't mean everyone else does and what you consider to be broken many other players may consider it to be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    That's great. You are welcome to have your own opinion and voice it but realize this; your opinion is yours and yours alone and you speak for no one else but yourself. Again just because you have problems with the game doesn't mean everyone else does and what you consider to be broken many other players may consider it to be a good thing.
    You can't honestly believe broken balance in PvP is a good thing can you? I don't think anyone can honestly say PvP is balanced right now and mean it. Same goes for classes in a PvE setting.

Now whether or not you're bothered by these balances is a different story, however having things balanced (Perfect balance is never going to happen) could only make the game better on all levels.